• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

R.S. batteries

Tabor Rider 973

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Venture
I just put the 3rd battery in my R.S. Venture. The original didn't last the first year,but my dealer replaced that one.That was a Yuasa battery which I assume was original? I just put in a Superior from Bond Auto at the cost of $128. I maintain and tend them with a Battery Tender when not in use. Are Yuasa' batteries prone to early failure,did I have some bad luck,or does any one have any suggestions . Maybe I should only get a couple years from a battery?

Wow! Great read with lots of info,Thanks! Looks like I need to refine my battery charging and maintenance procedures.

Also, I have heard if you use the kill switch and not the key to turn your sled off, it may drain your battery.

I have done absolutely nothing to my original yuasa battery since my sled was new and no problems with 4100 miles on it. I never even put a charge on it in the off year.

Battery

We are on our 3rd battery in our 2005 rage
All have been Yusa batteries
It is always on a battery tender
And it is a pain to replace
Is there a better battery out there??

I am still on my original on my 2006 and it starts no problem even when it was -30C. I do not use a battery tender or nothing. I do start it up several times during the off sesaon to charge it up however.

I am still using the original battery in a 2005 Vector with no problems. Ony time I charge the battery is when I take the sled out of storage in the fall.

Same for me boys, original battery in my 05 Vec. Bought it from a friend who did nothing. I have been using a CTEC float charger since acquiring it in the spring of 07. Haven't had any problems, even in -25c :4STroke:

T-ReX1 said:
I am still using the original battery in a 2005 Vector with no problems. Ony time I charge the battery is when I take the sled out of storage in the fall.

"DITTO" for me.............................I have 4,000 miles. MM.

MadMax said:
T-ReX1 said:

"DITTO" for me.............................I have 4,000 miles. MM.

almost X2...only difference is that on occasion I'll hook up my Optimate 3 battery tender.

Honestly though my sled has started "different" a few times lately...meaning weak'ish battery signs.....might be time for a new one next year if I keep the sled. I'm at 3700 miles now.

Hey guys ! My Rage 05 , same battery since orig. even dough it had died last week after a failing Stator ! Since the change of my stator this week-end ( 8 hours after!!! ) :die recharged it , did 65 miles today for a quick test drive and still starts well ! But during the spring- summer months , always giving it a quick light charge ! PS don't forget to DISCONNECT you're battery during that time ! Also, do a voltage test on your charging system ( stator ) It should read approx. 14.50 in good shape ! CIAO

Most important thing you can do is to make sure it is fully charged when storing. Then check every couple of months and make sure it's above 12 volts, put charger back on if it's gets down to 12. Still on my original '05 (4th season) but will change it out this summer since they just don't last forever.

Still on my original battery, bought sled in fall '04. I have never sharged it or even looked at it, and just crank the heck out of it until it fires up after storage each year. I am getting close to needing a replacement though. Had to use a jump station last Sunday at -5 degrees, as it was cranking slow. Starts fine above zero.

Looks like the battery is not the root of the problem. I picked up a new one at the local auto parts store. I called to see if they had one and they said it would be ready to go. When I got there it was hot to the touch.They said they had Quick Charged it for me. I said"won't that ruin it"? They assured me that they do it all the time and it would be fine. Well it got my sled out of the woods and home but that was it. I used my battery tender to charge it back up and it failed in one ride.Suspecting they had cooked the battery I charged it one more time and brought it back to be load tested. Only was giving 73 cranking amps,not the 270 it was rated at.I got a replacement battery and slow charged it after letting acid soak in(thanks for the links and tips guys!) and tried that.Sled died again. Checked voltage at battery with sled running and only got 11.5 volts.Coulda,shoulda,woulda checked that before! Looks like I'll be into a stator or voltage regulator now. And with tons of snow and flat trails,ride planned and dealers closed for the weekend,arggggg! If anyone is not riding ,do you have the ohm and volt values for testing? Thanks.

Back