• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rad delete project

lund

Pro
So i'm tired of carrying all that extra snow while riding my beast. So decided to do something about it, have you ever looked at the snow accumulation under that tunnel.....holy crap, especialy when your extended to 174.

So i decided to run the coolant into a rear exchanger to help control all that snow and at the same time get rid of that radiator.

Here are some pics. of my little project that i started on the weekend.
Started by removing the already modified running boards and installing CR-racing extreme running boards that will direct the coolant to the rear of the sled.

Noticed that i incorperated the tunnel section of the WRP boards into the CR boards...this realy helped stiffen the sides of the tunnel.

They are a very sturdy board, especialy compared to the oem one's. Plus i don't think they are going to hold alot of snow....haha
The WRP was a huge improvement over the lame yamaha stock boards, they shed snow fairly well also and are sturdier then the oem boards.

Love to see how this works, if it goes well that's my project for the spring/summer. Love to get a better balance . And better cooling

I will post pictures of the cooler as soon as its made. Its a custom length and width that CR will fabricate. But first i need to finnish installing the boards and get measurements off to CR for the cooler to be fab.

nytro-king said:
any update?
Sorry for taking so long, the cooler is done but i haven't had the time to go get it at CR-racing. They called me at the beginning of the week but been very busy with work these days.
As soon as i get it i will post pics of the U-cooler and the install. Hopefully this week will slow down some.

So here we go again, i got my custom U-cooler from CR. Its 27 inches long.
It was built to fit the extended 174 inch tunnel extension.
I will post pictures of the U-cooler installation shortly.
DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

I would love something like that. I have a serious slush/ice buildup with mine and I only have the 153. I was out at the camp yesterday and the lake has well over a foot of powder on it and the slush is bad. After a ten mile ride up the lake to the camp, my sled had many inches of ice under the tunnel and the snow flap and extension had a serious amount of slush which turned to solid ice. I was bottoming out when I was on a trail because of the added weight. My RXM has a stock OEM tunnel cooler (on the rear extension and it was free of ice) so that is the way to go. I am thinking Mountaintech tunnel cooler and extending the plumbing to a rear heat exchanger in the rear. If I don't spin the track and just take off without chipping ice, I would be burning off idler wheels and damaging the track. There is barely any clearance between the paddles and the tunnel due to the ice. It is a bad situation...especially when there is slush and temps are -30C. Everything sticks and freezes immediately.

I am sure your custom CR cooler must have been a pretty penny but I am sure they are worth it. Good job! Can't wait to see more of your work.

That is the biggest reason i'm doing this modification, the snow and ice build up on these Nytro's is retarded. They are heavy enough without the snow build up. Plus it will help distribute the static weight more evenly over the tunnel and rear suspension, the concentration of weight over the front suspension and ski's is a brain fart from Yamaha.

This entire mod, if you doit your self is about $1000.
You don't need to go this rout, you can do just the rear U-cooler for about $400 and plumb accordingly.
Well worth it, IMO.

More on this mod. hope the pictures help but it is alittle confusing as there are alot of things to in the pic's that can confues thing's.
I will try to explain and keep it simple.
The first pic is from the left side, hose routing from running board over clutch belt guard to expansion bottle.
DSC_0050-1.jpg

Expansion bottle from Artic Cat M-series, i have it heat shielded cause of the front mount turbo.
DSC_0048.jpg

Back