• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rage and Vector LTX Weight Transfer

Gone Blue

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08' Nytro RTX 40th Anniversary - Stretched
Where does everyone have their weight transfer set?

I have been reading suspension posts like crazy over the past couple weeks and I am curious what everyone is running.

I put just under a 1,000 miles on my new Rage last year with whatever suspension settings my dealer had set up, accept I went up one hole on the limiter strap. I was pretty happy with how it rode and handled except for the ski lift under most snow/trail conditions.

This summer I put 108 studs in the track and added a pair of Slydog Powder Hound skis with 6" Shaper bars. I put 150 miles on it a week ago and now had a front end push. I am thinking the front end push has more to do with the studs than skis.

I just checked my weight transfer setting and was shocked to see it set at 3/4 max. I thought that it would have been set at the middle from the dealer. I now adjusted the weight transfer to full Min and will try this out next week. I was happily surprised how easy it was to make this adjustment and feel that I can easily adjust in more transfer on the trail.

G.B.

Where does everyone have their weight transfer set? G.B.

I am happiest with the stock setting which is about half way between min and max. I adjusted it last year for more transfer but didn't like the way the front end handled when exiting a corner - too much ski lift which detracted from my ability to steer. I also tried a setting more towards minimum transfer but hated the way the track spun from a dead stop. The front end stays down better in the corners when the transfer rod is set to minimum transfer, but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't lift the skis every once in a while so I moved it back to the stock position. You're using studs now so maybe less transfer is ideal for you.

My sled pushes a lot at times too. It varies with snow conditions. Sometimes it will steer very hard like the front end setup is too agressive, and then at other times it wants to push like I don't have any carbide up front at all. I blame it on the craptacular Yamaha skis.

Thanks Metallicat,

It sounds like there is a noticible difference between the Min and Max settings. am sure that I will be playing with my transfer setting on the next ride. I was just curious what everone else has found. Thanks, G.B.

Wow, what a difference! I backed the weight transfer off to the Min setting before my last ride and what a difference. I wanted to see what the Min setting was like and was shocked to see how much this changed the way the sled handled. There was no ski lift. The front end was planted and handled great. Riding my Rage with this set up was the happiest I have ever been with this sled. The sled would actually pivot into the corners when you lifted the throttle. I would not win any drag races with this set up with the track spin, but who cares. Since this adjustment made so much difference, I am going to add back in weight transfer to either a 1/8 or 1/4 adjustment to see if it reduces the track spin. If any of you have not played with this adjustment, I would really suggest that you do. It can make a big difference on how your sled handles. G.B.

GB, my riding partner had the same issues with his 06 Rage. Told him to leave it alone until we made his 1st TY ride in Munising. Mrsled had us back the front springs to zero preload and set transfer 2 lines less than full transfer. AMAZING!! Watched him rail around every corner , every trip we've made since then. Oh, by the way, he will be 72 this year, and STILL ouutrides many riders HALF his age LOL!! I run my Attak with vrtually the same settings, have excellent traction and minimal ski lift.

I found my nytro very squirrely when cornering with the transfer rods set near max transfer. I now have them set to min transfer which helped, but what helped the most was this adjustment plus dropping the front end down until the a-arms were parallel with the ground. Truely a different sled with these adjustments made. I prefer flat cornering over lifting the skis on acceleration.

Viper_Dave said:
GB, my riding partner had the same issues with his 06 Rage. Told him to leave it alone until we made his 1st TY ride in Munising. Mrsled had us back the front springs to zero preload and set transfer 2 lines less than full transfer. AMAZING!! Watched him rail around every corner , every trip we've made since then. Oh, by the way, he will be 72 this year, and STILL ouutrides many riders HALF his age LOL!! I run my Attak with vrtually the same settings, have excellent traction and minimal ski lift.

Viper Dave,

I have read a lot of post on people going to zero preload on the front shock springs. How does the front take a hard hit? Have you ever bottomed out the front? It is interesting that your friend has his weight transfer set near max full. That is were I started on my sled. Thanks, G.B.

Guess I should proofread my posts LOL. He is 2 marks from Min. transfer. And honestly no, I haven't bottomed in what I would call normal riding.The occasional squared off rut, maybe, but I don't recall ever feeling the front bottom. BUT, I have GYTR Clicker shocks on my Attak. I do a little boondocking , and the softer preload on the front makes the sled easier to manuever. Really like the way both of our sleds handle. And with the limiter pulled and transfer wear I have it set, helps my sled get up on top of the snow as well. any other questions, just ask!

I tried Zero preload on the front shocks of my rage but found that they bottomed out on the hard hits so I bumped them back up. Apparently they offer stiffer springs for the RX 1's in order to combat this but when I talked to Pioneer last year they didn't have anything for the RS series.

heads up,be careful with max transfer,make sure your lock nut is really tight,busted my transfer rod today on my 09 vec ltx with 800 miles on it,the lock nut must of loosened and it backed off until the threads let go,good thing i was going really slow when it happened,the track got damaged some :o| :o| :o| i hope my warranty covers this

Viper_Dave said:
Guess I should proofread my posts LOL. He is 2 marks from Min. transfer. And honestly no, I haven't bottomed in what I would call normal riding.The occasional squared off rut, maybe, but I don't recall ever feeling the front bottom. BUT, I have GYTR Clicker shocks on my Attak. I do a little boondocking , and the softer preload on the front makes the sled easier to manuever. Really like the way both of our sleds handle. And with the limiter pulled and transfer wear I have it set, helps my sled get up on top of the snow as well. any other questions, just ask!

No worries. I am with you now. Going up a couple marks from Min transfer is what I plan to try next before I mess with the front spring load. I really like how the front takes a hard hit and didnt want to mess with it unless I had too. Thanks again. G.B.

pat the rat said:
heads up,be careful with max transfer,make sure your lock nut is really tight,busted my transfer rod today on my 09 vec ltx with 800 miles on it,the lock nut must of loosened and it backed off until the threads let go,good thing i was going really slow when it happened,the track got damaged some :o| :o| :o| i hope my warranty covers this

Bummer Pat. I wondered about the transfer rod nut coming loose. I found that because of were the transfer rod is located and the wrench supplied, that I had a hard time getting my weight behind tigthening the nut. G.B.

3 Phase said:
I tried Zero preload on the front shocks of my rage but found that they bottomed out on the hard hits so I bumped them back up. Apparently they offer stiffer springs for the RX 1's in order to combat this but when I talked to Pioneer last year they didn't have anything for the RS series.

Phase, that was what I have been worried about. I ride mine pretty hard and I am real happy how the front rides. I think I would go to a larger stabilizer rod before I mess with the front spring load. Thanks, G.B .

Back