• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RE: Oil Change Questions

MountainMax

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Apex
Hey guys, I have an 09 Apex and my buddy has an 09 Venture with the FI 3 cylinder, and he wants me to change his oil tonight, im sure it's similar to my apex, but the oil filter is accessible through the belly pan same as the drain plug right? also, do you guys put any oil in the motor when you change it or just fill up the oil reservoir tank, any help would be great, i have 1 hour till oil change time, lol. Thanks in advance.

did my oil at 780 kms , i just put oil in the resevoir 2 liters start for a few then top her up , not to hard but learning experience as it wa my first time as well but had my buddy thats familiar with them watchin over
hope that helps acess to the filter is tight way tighter than older models acess hatch is small on my gt anyway goodluck

Thanks, I done it by the book, and had a b$@%ch of a time getting the filter off, it is tight, and all my wrenches and straps were too big, had to use a set of large slip joint pliers, they put the factory filter way too tight......

MountainMax said:
Thanks, I done it by the book, and had a b$@%ch of a time getting the filter off, it is tight, and all my wrenches and straps were too big, had to use a set of large slip joint pliers, they put the factory filter way too tight......
Started to do first oil change at 600 miles on 2009 Vector LTX GT at my cabin, but could not remove oil filter with a 1/2" drive strap type.

I buttoned every thing up and rode the sled for another 200 miles before returning home with the sled. I then used a 2"-3 1/4 metal strap type with flexible handle (PLEWS) and was able to grip and turn the filter in the DB2 chassis small opening. It was very difficult to turn due to the factory apparently does not lube filter at assembly and "yes" the gasket was stuck to the engine crank case and had to be peeled off the machined surface. I use silicone grease on filter gasket before assembly.

MountainMax said:
...had to use a set of large slip joint pliers, they put the factory filter way too tight......

Yeap had the same trouble with the first oil change on my '05 Rage. I ended up having to drive a screwdriver through both sides of the filter to get enough leverage to spin the damn thing off! I just add a dab of the new oil to the gasket before spinning on the filter and I've not had any trouble with any oil changes since

I changed the oil the other day on my 09 venture gt, I bought a oil filter slip on tool from the dealership and it fit the filter but good luck getting a wrench in there to turn it, so I punched a screwdriver threw it and it just tore, I had to take a drive into the city to get a set of oil filter pliers and they worked perfect.

Caution the oil filter gasket sticks to the crank case with the first filter change, happened on my ATV, lucky it still has a motor.

Bowhunter said:
...so I punched a screwdriver threw it and it just tore...

For anyone else that has yet to get their first filter off...I should have elaborated on my experience...it will tear through the filter IF YOU ONLY PUNCH THROUGH ONE SIDE OF THE FILTER (I experienced this at first attempt to remove the filter) BUT if you make sure you drive the screwdriver in one side and out the other there is enough strength in the filter to be able to spin it off. I appologize, Bowhunter, that I didn't say this sooner to help you out...
:o| :hide: :o|

Less than $5 at advance auto parts.
l_0db337eee26e456f979c2c01f2c76bfa.jpg

Back