• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Axle

apex55

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
When the rear axle is tightened, should it be dead tight on the frames? I can put a socket on the headed end and turn it after the nut is tightened. I can also see wear from the collars as though the axle had spun.
2006 Apex ER Mono Shock.

yes axle is supose to be tight but wheels are to turn easy. if axle is not tight your track adjustment can change

You may have stripped the threads on the axle. I did it on my Vector, and again on my Nytro. Seems to be a weak point imo.

I think I must be missing some spacers. I installed the 4th wheel kit last year and noticed the same thing. I didn't strip it, that I'm sure of. Thanks for the responses. I have it out now as I'm re-greasing all the wheel bearings and will see if I can solve the riddle!!

there is 4 steele washers that go on each side of the rail. If you leave one or more of them out it will mess up the ability to tighten up the shaft.

I've ran into that before with a 4th wheel kit, the new spacers you get with the kit aren't very precise. When you have it all apart compare the overall length of the inner wheels and spacers with and without the kit, you will probably have a difference. I've had to grind a little off or sometimes add a thin shim depending if it was to short or to long.

Back