• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear LED Lights on Helmet for Safety

Woody

Lifetime Member
I've ridden with BlueDog, and he had a basic LED light he got a walmart on the back of his helmet. It ran off some aaa batteries, and worked great. Teh snow dust blocked our view of his tail lights, but with his head being higher than the tail lights, you could see him even if you had about 4-6 sleds riding between you.

Has anyone seen these or done this? I think Kurt has some LEDs on his helmet too, but I don't want to have a wire running to my helmet since I have the motorcross helmet. I do have a full face with heated shield too, but want one for my motocross helmet without wires.

any ideas? I just saw this from HJC, they call it a wind light, because it works by the air speed turning a small turbine.. but think that it'd freeze up with any moisture: Please show pics and links on where to buy..

thanks

Cant help on how to make one work but my BV2S has it built in and a lot of guys say that is the ONLY thing they can see when they are flying up to me while I'm at a stop and its saved my bacon a few times.

X2 it dosent help your problem but its a great feature on my bv2s. What if you mount a small 12v led and plug it in the acc plug.

For our local club rides, we have a guy that generally leads the group. He has a blue LED on his helmet that can be clearly seen from the back of a 15 sled pack. He's known as "The Blue Light Special". These are a great idea.

I sent an email to CSS the people who make the trail lights, to see if they could make something since they could do the injection molding, and know their way around LED's and sleds....

I wish someone made one... I'd buy a battery style and one that could also get power from my heated shield for my two helments

Go to Wally World and look in the bicyle section. My daughter got me 2 clip on LED lights that flash. Clip right on the collar of your jacket. Run ya' less than 5 bucks apiece.

i ran the wind light and had no problems with it. had it on at my 1st ty ride and in the dark i was told by sledheads girl that it was very visable. had to buy a new lid so it went with my cl12 when i sold it. will not work when your visor is up on a closed face helmet as i was riding all day and no one saw it working then.

Landoman said:
Planet Bike has a nice one that I use for my bike. Brighter than all get out and can be seen for quite a distance. If you grind or cut the clip off the back and attach with a piece of double stick tape velco, you are all set.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034_1.html

The red lights on their site are very doable on the helmet, with some home engineering. Never too much visibility. Great safety idea.

This year I picked up a GMAX 54s modular helmet which has the led light built in. It has 3 modes of lighting from being on all the time to flashing on and off.

X2, on the GMAX, I know you probably don't want a new helmet, but I have the GMAX gm68s I believe with the built in three modes of lighting. Helmet looks awesome, light is cool, but that bugger likes to fog up unless you are consistently going 60 plus....

Back