• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear LED Lights on Helmet for Safety

rindtj said:
X2, on the GMAX, I know you probably don't want a new helmet, but I have the GMAX gm68s I believe with the built in three modes of lighting. Helmet looks awesome, light is cool, but that bugger likes to fog up unless you are consistently going 60 plus....

A fogging helmet is enough to pi$$ off the pope. Also, very unsafe. As I get older, I'm trying to safen-up a little more, (Homer Simpson) seeing as I seem to find all the idiots on the trails I ride. Bunch of yum yums!! :die

BOUNTYHUNTER said:
yox185 said:

Out of the four colors...I wonder which is the brightist and easiest to see?

I really would like to be spotted before I'm rear ended like the last time ;):D

I think blue is the way to go. Here in NY the troopers switched to blue from red several years ago. You can definitely see the blue better. Plus it's a Yamaha, so you have to go BLUE!

arctic cat snocross helmet got leds plus you can buy the piece separate and glued with 3m double sided tape to fit others

My buddy and I have used lighted whips on our sleds for years. I have an LED whip from ArizonaWhips.com and my buddy made his own out of fiberglass tube and a blue LED bulb which can be seen for miles!

Attachments

• photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 469
I've been looking at this also, Even thinking of LED HEADLIGHTS that velcro on the helmet. There are some LEDs out there cranking out 400 Lumen with only a 3 draw! a pair of those would be equivalent to a 55watt halogen bulb and the would shine which ever way your head was looking, would be great for nighttime boondockin.

Led

Woody,

Let me know, I have tried another dozen or so lights to lead groups of 6-10 sledders and I have found that the Princeton Tec Fuel headlamp with the strobe seems to works the best. Please believe me I try all kinds of things every winter while leading group rides and ask them what is best! It"s a shame that the original strobe that I gave Tom (Mr Sled) that Darcy made for 10 dollars doesn't exist anymore.

Ron M

SugarCampApex said:
My buddy and I have used lighted whips on our sleds for years. I have an LED whip from ArizonaWhips.com and my buddy made his own out of fiberglass tube and a blue LED bulb which can be seen for miles!
The lawman has never questioned the lighted whips?

bottlerocket said:
SugarCampApex said:
The lawman has never questioned the lighted whips?
We asked the law and it is not illegal. The blue LED does get the stink eye from some of them though. What I like about it: when other sledders see it, they slow down!

Just bought the woman a gmax helmet with led light on back of it with heated visor you can get them from spanky's a black one is $260 you get heated visor modular design with sun shield built into it I think its pretty Freaking cool it looks like fighter pilot helmet I'm going to buy on as soon as I get money

If you guys notice on sugarcampapex's image, that's my sled in front. You'll notice LED side marker lights. I removed the reflectors and added these. Got them off ebay as kit of 2-red, 2-amber- 2 white. The white's I mounted on the back for my back up lights. Not a huge amount of light but in the dark of night it is enough. The other thing we did years ago was to add the Ski-Doo yellow decal to the back of our helmets. This came about on a weekend ride by Hurley WI where the snow dust was so bad, it would hang in the air making it nearly impossible to see the sled in front of you. I pounded on our lead guy to do something and we stopped at the Ski-Doo dealer and put one on. Made huge difference in seeing the guy in our group ahead of us. Even 3 or more sleds ahead. The newer headlights make this decal glow really nice. I have a BV2S helmet and seem to forget to turn that light off before putting away for the week and end up with dead battery so decided to do the decal thing. I feel better that whoever is behind me can see me, this was before doing the LED whip. I almost don't want to follow anyone without one now.

Woody said:
I've ridden with BlueDog, and he had a basic LED light he got a walmart on the back of his helmet. It ran off some aaa batteries, and worked great. Teh snow dust blocked our view of his tail lights, but with his head being higher than the tail lights, you could see him even if you had about 4-6 sleds riding between you.

Has anyone seen these or done this? I think Kurt has some LEDs on his helmet too, but I don't want to have a wire running to my helmet since I have the motorcross helmet. I do have a full face with heated shield too, but want one for my motocross helmet without wires.

any ideas? I just saw this from HJC, they call it a wind light, because it works by the air speed turning a small turbine.. but think that it'd freeze up with any moisture: Please show pics and links on where to buy..

thanks

I did. I made mine but I tapped into the 12v of the heated shield. It is SUPER bright and can be seen for a LONG distance. I do have a wireless setup that will function with the brake. They will get brighter when the brake is hit. I am fine tuning it. Plan on selling it on the site as soon as it's what I want. Battery will be the key. Standard batteries just don't last in the cold!
More to come...

Here is what I have now:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

yox185 said:
BOUNTYHUNTER said:
yox185 said:

Out of the four colors...I wonder which is the brightist and easiest to see?

I really would like to be spotted before I'm rear ended like the last time ;):D

I think blue is the way to go. Here in NY the troopers switched to blue from red several years ago. You can definitely see the blue better. Plus it's a Yamaha, so you have to go BLUE!

Truth be known, RED in LED is the brightest color available. Do remember that blue or green would be visible at night because there is no other color to interfere or clash with it. When stating the RED color, I am giving you this considering most general LED lighting.
NOTE: The best and true LED product would have the diode emitting the color with the device having a clear lens. If yours has a white LED with a colored lens--------two words. OFFSHORE JUNK.

While on the subject of LED lighting for either your sled or helmet, in Michigan I would HIGHLY recommend that you respect the Michigan Vehicle Codes. Blue is strictly reserved for Law Enforcement use only on vehicles. I would really believe that if the Michigan DNR saw you with any blue light on your sled or helmet, instant ticket and a lecture on the merits on NOT displaying it ever again.

I use the word display, because the law is written that way. You do not have to have the light "on". Only display the "color" of the light units lens is enough for a possible ticket.

For most US states, do check with your State DNR law enforcement section before riding on State property with a blue light.

SNOWDOG said:
Woody said:
I've ridden with BlueDog, and he had a basic LED light he got a walmart on the back of his helmet. It ran off some aaa batteries, and worked great. Teh snow dust blocked our view of his tail lights, but with his head being higher than the tail lights, you could see him even if you had about 4-6 sleds riding between you.

Has anyone seen these or done this? I think Kurt has some LEDs on his helmet too, but I don't want to have a wire running to my helmet since I have the motorcross helmet. I do have a full face with heated shield too, but want one for my motocross helmet without wires.

any ideas? I just saw this from HJC, they call it a wind light, because it works by the air speed turning a small turbine.. but think that it'd freeze up with any moisture: Please show pics and links on where to buy..

thanks

I did. I made mine but I tapped into the 12v of the heated shield. It is SUPER bright and can be seen for a LONG distance. I do have a wireless setup that will function with the brake. They will get brighter when the brake is hit. I am fine tuning it. Plan on selling it on the site as soon as it's what I want. Battery will be the key. Standard batteries just don't last in the cold!
More to come...

Here is what I have now:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

You have me interested, looking forward to seeing the finished product ;)!
Any proto-types ready now?

Back