• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Remounting skid 1" higher in tunnel...pros & cons?

Easy steering

niko said:
So my mates in Japan, just did this 1" hole mod and they said its a real winner. It transformed the apex into a easy steering machine. I'll be doing this mod as soon as I'm back home for my second winter.
>>>
Went for a ride today and I adjusted the spring pressure a bit more on both shocks until I found the sweet spot. I climbed some SICk azz steep hills in wetter soft snow and this track and skid ROCKS! It will spin around on a dime now ....threw me off a few times......LOL. When I go up an inch I will pull up the limiters a hole and readjust.....ski pressure isn't bad at all now.
Your friends in Japan that raised theirs how do they track in the powder? My concern is not enough ski pressure and it will push instead of turn or not hang when off camber side hilling on semi firm snow. I guess if it's to little I can go up another hole on the limiters.
SO anyone thinking of the switch it's the best bang for the buck, KMOD Gen 1 and Powder claw track....REALLY impressed sp far and the increase in maneuverability is really good! I'll be gone end of next week so won't ride for a while but in 2 weeks going up high to do some more testing.

I'm running on the 2nd hole out on the limiter straps on the Timbersled skid.

It's been hardpack here lately, and I need slightly more ski pressure to steer easily, so i'm going to pull the limiter up one hole.

This is the best free mod I have found....

Mark

Just an out of the box question, what would happen if you ran a bigger idler wheel at the bracket, without drilling. Wouldn't this have the same effect, raising the track higher in the tunnel?

Of course it would be 1/2 inch increments instead of 1 inch.

I was actually thinking of drilling 1 inch up on my bracket and running an 8 inch wheel, if my lugs have enough clearance.

Wouldn't make a difference. The point of remounting the skid up is to reduce preload on the rear shock, allowing more weight transfer, without lessening suspension travel.

The wheel wouldn't change that.

update

Well I haven't had a chance to get on the "hill" with the modification yet but riding it around the property and jumping/handling it has made a noticable difference! I'm considering remounting the front bolt hole up 1/2" higher and also pulling the limiters up one hole.....depending on my life this week I'll try to get this done and then get to the hill end of the week.
I'll give a solid ride report after this coming weekend....we got gangs of snow up high....another 4 feet of fresh on Saturday & Sunday. We have more snow up high around here then I've ever seen....Gerd you might wanna come down this way if it get's chitty in the Yukon....LOL. Were going to go up the north end of the valley and come out by tree line Friday .....gonna be a long sick/deep ride....hoping for some sun! So far I'd recommend anyone to do this and I went up 1.25" higher on the Timbersled drop brackets.

Back