• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Removing Sway Bars?

jonnyz36

Extreme
Just wandering if anyone out there has removed the sway bars and was it difficult to do?

Also, did it help to lean the sled?

Tanks for the help in advance.

all 2010 and up mtx sleds are shipped w/o sway bars if I am not mistaken so there are lots of people running them without -

my preference is to not run a sway bar, but it probably boils down to how you want it to handle on the trails. Give it a try and see how it works for the types of riding you do.

jonnyz36

Removing the sway bar cleanly is a little tough but doable because there it not nuch room to get the allen wrench on the bolts that hold the bar in place. Most people just cut one end off the bar and pull it out on the other side. I took mine off when I replaced my sub-frame but like i said it took a little time to get get it off. I did not want to destory the bar just in case i needed to put it back on at a later date. I also beleive that the 2010 sled was the first one that did not come with a sway bar from factory however it did come with FOX float shocks. I have read on here that if you have a pre 2010 sled running the OEM coil over shocks you may have problems taking off the sway bar because the shocks are too soft and the sled will roll too much. A side note i have also read that people have done this and did not find this to be the case. Some people have even made their own quick release connection on the sway bar so they can unconnect and reconnect as they need too. I would diconnect it and tie up out of the way and ride the sled to see if you like it. if you dont you can just reattach it. I took mine off and never looked back. good good luck

I just removed mine this summer but have not had any ride time on it. As beholmlate said it can be a little tricky removing it but very doable. I have my front completely tore down for the summer doing maintenace and mods and if you remove all the plastic it is pretty easy to get to the bolts to remove the sway bar brackets. The only tricky part with the plastic is carefully removing the steering arm boot from around one rivet so you can replace it with out redoing any rivets. Other than that it should be pretty simple just a little time consuming. I ran into one bolt that was seized on the sway bar and took a little tinkering to get it to break loose but I am glad I did it this way so I can re install if I ever want to. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need some help with it.

The sway bar on my First mtx cause huge problems i couldnt carve that sled at all and i hit a rock with my right ski bending my subframe and A arm the subframe bending pushed the swaybar mount into my crank case putting a hole in it and allowing a direct access hole to my crank and main bearings which ran dry on oil wrecking my engine if my '13 had a sway bar it would be gone but yamaha figured that one out

If you have a heat gun and the right size Allen wrench it isn't that hard of a job to do. Although it is a pita to access everything if you have large hands. Put a bit of spray lube around the allen head, heat it up with a heat gun nice and warm to break up the locktite on the bolt then turn. Once you have the allen bolts off take out the brackets that hold the sway bar in place then, with a little persuasion you can take the sway bar out from the oil tank side of the sled.

Good tip from natedawgedog!

I got mine out this way. (With a metal cutting blade though)
022071-jpg.jpg

I'll update you when I get ride time on it last year. I expect for my riding I will like it much better. I want my front end to work independently as I'm not a huge trail rider and not worried about chassis roll in corners

jonnyz36 said:
Did it help alot to have the sway bars removed?

Is it worth it to remove them?

Riding off yes and yes. If you have better than stock shocks then trail riding doesn't change that much either.

If i just want to cut it off, do I just need to remove the whole bar from under the engine or can I cut it off where it goes into the engine compartment and remove the bolt on either side.

jonnyz36 said:
If i just want to cut it off, do I just need to remove the whole bar from under the engine or can I cut it off where it goes into the engine compartment and remove the bolt on either side.

wouldnt be able to cut it out from under the engine the sub-frame is in the way to do that but you can cut it from either side of the engine compartment if you choose not to ever put it back in there. it really doesn't take that much effort to do it the way I explained earlier (half hour, hour) in the post but if you want to do it the really easy way and not worried about the extra lb or 2 that is left after cutting it out, then by all means cut away.

Back