• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Adjustment

vote4pedros

Extreme
Anyone know where to find a topic on reverse lever adjustments? My 06 rtx is jumping out of gear in reverse and grinding.. I think it needs to be adjusted. i noticed there is an adjustment rod.. just don't want to mess anything up.. any help would be great!!

Adjusting Step 1 - Upper Linkage
Loosen locknuts and set the length between the locknuts to 27 mm
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting Step 2- Rear Lower Linkage
Loosen locknuts
Turn the threaded adjuster to decrease distance between locknuts
until freeplay is removed, then turn threaded adjuster back 1/4 turn.
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting steps as per Yamaha Tech Tips

make sure the lever under the shift lever handle is not moving on the shaft, i found this on a sled that had trouble with adjustment.

Had to bring my Apex back to the shop for grinding noise and popping back into forward when going in reverse... just about knocked down a person in front of me ... talking to Yamaha Canada about that. However the spec dealership is setting it up too is 31mm as 27mm allows gear to still pop out. Anyone else come across something similar?

I simply shortened the lower rod length until I felt finger tight resistance and backed off just a hair. This fixed my grinding and jumping out of reverse.

I had that problem last weekend and just figured out the problem yesterday. The linkages all seemed OK. I adjusted the vertical as mentioned above. On the stand it worked fine. As soon as I tried taking it out of the garage it popped out of gear again. A friend stopped over to look at it also. What we found (after about an hour) was the the 10mm pivot bolt that holds the 'L' bracket that the two linkages connect to was not tight (as in almost falling off). We tighten the nut and bolt, put the linkages back to the original specs and it works much better. We could visibly see that there was more movement at the chain case. I think that this bolt has been loose for quite some time. Now when I reverse it seems to snap in much smoother.

Back