• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Review: Mountaintech 34+3 A-Arms on 08 MTX

BCgee

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro MTX
The sled: 08 Nytro MTX, extended stock 162 skid w/ Apex HW torsion spring, stock clutch, 2.5" CE track, OFT relocate, ROV, Simmons Gen II flex skis, Mountaintech foot rails & short belly pan.

The rider & typical use: 6'2, 195lbs, motocross background, known to break things. 50/50 use for BC ski access vs. powder riding. Steep Northern Rockies terrain and mostly off-trail powder.

Previous Sleds: 04 RMK 800 (dead), 07 M1000 (dead), 10 Doo XP (dead)

The upgrade: 34+3 A-arms from Mountaintech.

Game-changer. That's how big a difference the Mountaintech a-arm kit makes on my MTX. Being a backcountry skier that is slowly being corrupted by the dark side (of sled skiing), and who spends too much money on too many hobbies, I've slowly chipped away at Nytro upgrades since purchasing a new-to-me early version a few years back based on reliability. As we all know the early version Nytros need significant help to be their best selves...

Hindsight being 20-20, I would strongly urge anyone considering a first Nytro upgrade, and who has an emphasis on backcountry riding, to start with the Mountaintech 34+3 kit. By way of analogy if removing the sway bar on a stock sled doubles your fun level, then the 34+3 kit quintuples your fun level.

No joke - the front end agility and boondocking capabilities of my MTX have gone from 4/10 to at least 8/10 (with a brand new 2021 Skidoo T-Motion arguably being a 10/10 for maneuverability). I can now easily carve figure 8s, carve circles on my weak side, one-foot sidehill a 50 deg slope, and all that's needed is simply adjusting body positioning around the rails. Say goodbye to the aggressive, manual heaving (and exhaustion) that was previously necessary to carve your Nytro!

Likewise, the tree-riding maneuverability, including side-hilling, is a night and day difference. Uphill, downhill, across the hill: it doesn't matter, my Nytro is now fully responsive and intuitive, allowing me to confidently tackle terrain that was previously a "did you bring a winch kit?" kind of conversation starter.

The install was fairly straightforward and the directions reasonably accurate. I also replaced my knuckles and bushings with this upgrade and boy, first time ever not having slop in steering was icing on the cake!

This is awesome news I have a 2012 190hp mcexpress rear mount turbo that I am riding and my stock front end is cooked. I am ordering a set of these as well and can’t wait to see what it does to the sled. I ride with a bunch of newer sleds skidoo 850’s and Polaris rmk pros. Love going where they do with my 8 year old sled. But it’s so much work to keep up.

How did the handling change, let’s say going down hill and trying to turn and get it on it side to side hill. I realize snow conditions aren’t very favourable right now for those kind of maneuvers. And did you do any suspension changes? I know right now I have my center shock pumped up to 95psi (fox floats) for a bit easier steering and less ski pressure and about 65psi in front shocks to get it to lean easier. But I feel those setting are not ideal for handling. Just wondering what your experience is with this and these A arms.

I am really excited to try these out as I love my nytro and will most likely have it for a very long time.

Back