• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Review of MPI Stage 2 for FX Nytro (so far)

Nice write up! You have to remove the bars and stuff for the install uh?

I think they need to update thier website the install they quote is for the RX1 almost every model after that is more complex then the original RX1 install which was the first kit they did and you can tell spent the extra time on it.

Sounds like a first rate outfit though, I'll definitly do a supercharger some day.

Ray, I'm pretty sure that I said it took me 3 days (working 8-10hrs each time to get mine in the RX-1) but that I did make the cut for the charge tube on the wrong side so it had to be re-done, I spent another 2-3 hrs looking for a tube that wasn't sent for pressurizing the float bowls and I had to travel from the garage to the house for each set of parts.

Your time was pretty close to what I figured. The second go around is alot quicker for doing one. I helped Whitee with his (mostly with the beer drinking and any places where he got hung up) and it was done in one night.

Jim

As with all instructions , they are written by a person that already knows how . !

My first MPI install on my apex took 30 hrs , but could now do in 10 or less ! , inc clutching , a/f , boost gauges!

All will be worth it at the first squeeze ,
FOR SURE A BIG SMILE !

I figured I should give a quick update. I'm sorry it's short, but I haven't had time to compile a more complete update.

My Nytro now has about 250 miles on it. (130+ with SC)
Still have not installed a BOV yet, but it desperately needs one.
My ride last week was a hard deep snow ride from start to finish, and I got just over 7 MPG. Jetting was not very close.
Yesterday's ride was medium to hard with lots of powder time and I got over 8MPG. Jetting is close but not quite perfect.
I am having an idle issue as discussed here http://ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=50770
I have had no issues with loose pullies and have checked them often.
I do feel some vibration that was not on the sled before. It's not extreme, but it is there.
The sled pulls hard and the throttle response is great, even though my clutching is still way off.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I LOVE THE NYTRO. It handles so good in the soft snowI can't even explain it.

mpi

Your comments on the MPI were correct . the instructions were a little vague as they sent stage 1 instructions for a stage 11 kit so a couple of things were different. This is the second one I have done, first an RX-1 now my Apex. the Rx-1 was easier as the Apex you can't just flip open the hood. My RX-1 ran perfect but I can't make the Apex run properly, electrical issues with the controller????

From slow rolling starts the SC feels stronger. At WOT I don't think it is as strong, but I know that my clutching is off and I am only getting about 9.5 pounds of boost right now vs. 10.5 on the RX-1. IF I can get the clutching figured out my best guess is it will take 11-12 pounds to feel the same as my RX did at 10.5. I am planning to go to 12 pounds when MPI finally gets me my pullies.

In the cluthing department I am just not getting the track speed I think I should. I am running the 60G super tips and I fear they are too heavy. Down to only 4 G in the heal and need to take out more AND weight the tip for full shift out. Tough to do that when you only have 4G left to play with.

Time for another update.....

I have put close to 500 mountain miles on my stage 2 now. I have changed pullies and am now running about 12.5 pounds of boost. I continue to be VERY impressed with the throttle response and the low and mid range power. I have had concerns about my track speed during WOT hill climbs and have been blaming it on my clutching. I have not been getting full shift out.

Untill a few days ago I had not speant much time working on clutching. Then the other day I tried all sorts of combinations. I was testing in an untracked field that had fairly wet heavy snow. These are not the conditions I normally ride in but they will hopefully give me a good base line. Messing with it long enough resulted in a 20% increase in my speed and the sled feels like it is pulling MUCH stronger on the top end. We'll see this weekend how it does on the hill.

When I changed the pullies to turn up the boost I had a pulley come loose. I did not check the tightness of this pulley as often as I did the orginal pullies so that may be the cause of the issue. I do not care for the taper lock system. It makes aligning the pullies a much more trial and error proccess than I think it should be. The good news is that if you are careful installing them and check them frequently for the first 20 miles or so they do seem to hold well.

I also had to add the fuel regulator. I didn't mind adding it, but I DID mind having to pay extra for it. Many of the kits will not work with out it and I think this should have been covered by MPI. It seems a bit silly to pay for a "turn key" kit only to be told you have to buy a fuel regulator kit if you want it to work.

I am still having a little bit of an idle and hard starting issue. I have a new fuel controller with a modified program to try, but have not had time to use it yet. I have been trying diferrent setups with the current controller and have got it to where it idles pretty good, but it is still hard to start on occasion.

I love how quiet my sled is with the stock exhaust. It definately helps to put it in the sleeper catagory.

Early on I was a little frustrated with the customer service I was getting from MPI. That seems to have changed. Lately I have found Mac to be extremely helpful in resolving, or at least trying to resolve issues. I hope this is a sign of good things to come as many have complained about MPIs customer service in the past. I have found that because he is busy Mac can be hard to reach, but once I do he tries hard to help.

My fuel milage on most rides is in the upper 8 to 9 MPG area. These are mountian rides and the sled is typically rode pretty hard. My last ride we had epic deep snow and I worked the hell out of the sled. I saw the worst milage yet at just barely under 6 mpg. I still beleive I need a BOV , but wont get one on till next year.

So do I like it? I DO. The kit is clean and nicely built. I would really like to ride a comparable Nytro with a front mount turbo for comparison, however, the power of the SC is smooth, consistant, and ample. It is seemless from start to finish and is a kick in the a$$ to boondock with. The top end has been lacking but again I am just now starting to get it clutched and am hoping that will be a thing of the past.

spray25 said:
Time for another update.....

I have put close to 500 mountain miles on my stage 2 now. I have changed pullies and am now running about 12.5 pounds of boost. I continue to be VERY impressed with the throttle response and the low and mid range power. I have had concerns about my track speed during WOT hill climbs and have been blaming it on my clutching. I have not been getting full shift out.

Untill a few days ago I had not speant much time working on clutching. Then the other day I tried all sorts of combinations. I was testing in an untracked field that had fairly wet heavy snow. These are not the conditions I normally ride in but they will hopefully give me a good base line. Messing with it long enough resulted in a 20% increase in my speed and the sled feels like it is pulling MUCH stronger on the top end. We'll see this weekend how it does on the hill.

When I changed the pullies to turn up the boost I had a pulley come loose. I did not check the tightness of this pulley as often as I did the orginal pullies so that may be the cause of the issue. I do not care for the taper lock system. It makes aligning the pullies a much more trial and error proccess than I think it should be. The good news is that if you are careful installing them and check them frequently for the first 20 miles or so they do seem to hold well.

I also had to add the fuel regulator. I didn't mind adding it, but I DID mind having to pay extra for it. Many of the kits will not work with out it and I think this should have been covered by MPI. It seems a bit silly to pay for a "turn key" kit only to be told you have to buy a fuel regulator kit if you want it to work.

I am still having a little bit of an idle and hard starting issue. I have a new fuel controller with a modified program to try, but have not had time to use it yet. I have been trying diferrent setups with the current controller and have got it to where it idles pretty good, but it is still hard to start on occasion.

I love how quiet my sled is with the stock exhaust. It definately helps to put it in the sleeper catagory.

Early on I was a little frustrated with the customer service I was getting from MPI. That seems to have changed. Lately I have found Mac to be extremely helpful in resolving, or at least trying to resolve issues. I hope this is a sign of good things to come as many have complained about MPIs customer service in the past. I have found that because he is busy Mac can be hard to reach, but once I do he tries hard to help.

My fuel milage on most rides is in the upper 8 to 9 MPG area. These are mountian rides and the sled is typically rode pretty hard. My last ride we had epic deep snow and I worked the hell out of the sled. I saw the worst milage yet at just barely under 6 mpg. I still beleive I need a BOV , but wont get one on till next year.

So do I like it? I DO. The kit is clean and nicely built. I would really like to ride a comparable Nytro with a front mount turbo for comparison, however, the power of the SC is smooth, consistant, and ample. It is seemless from start to finish and is a kick in the a$$ to boondock with. The top end has been lacking but again I am just now starting to get it clutched and am hoping that will be a thing of the past.

Ray, Tura wants to know if the reason for the bolded part of your post is due to pictures of the collection in your safe being sent to MPI. LOL As for the top end; I doubt you'll see that of a turbo but you might since you have the stage 2.

My Stage 1 RX-1 tops out at 98 on the GPS but that might be because of stock gearing. I have my Shockwave adjusted out quite a bit and am still over reving. It seems most guys running the shockwave N/A need less primary weight where I am seeing the opposite. Maybe, I need longer legs and more primary weight to load my motor more and get more speed. I see about 70MPH climbing though as it stands and am hitting 9900 RPMs in 1-2 feet of powder.

Jim

Back