• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Riding Alone...

I use to ride alone a lot to the tune of about 6,000+ in three years.. Carried nothing more than few extra tools and a cell phone. I pretty much stuck to trails I knew.. I have run into trouble out there alone... I was lucky as a groomer was right there and gave me a hand.. Of course I don't think I would have had the problem if the groomer was not in front of me.. LOL.. I ride just like I do always... Now I am carrying more stuff for the in case ... I ride with a backpack with shovel emg blanket and will be putting a first aid kit in there soon. Also carring a wind up flash light so I dont have to worry about batteries running out on me.

At least 1000 miles a year by myself stick to trails i know very well always carry survival gear, can be quite enjoyable at times, my pace, nobody to hold me back or make me try to keep up. I find i take more time to look around me and enjoy the wildlife/scenery. Can be a little unnerving at night but in four years i've had one instance where my sled forced me to head for home (Jackshaft Bearing) i was able to ride home so guess that means she's been 100% reliable ;)! :4STroke:

apex yooper said:
I ride alone a lot, ever since my 2 riding partners dropped out. A couple years ago, I rode from Munising to Kalkaska alone. I carry things to build a fire, and could spend the night. I also carry an analog cell phone, and a 38 snub nose.

The only thing I like better than riding alone, is riding with my buddy Buddah. He has to pee every 10 miles, but it gives me a break.

38 snubnose LMAO I never ever thought of carrying one of those! Would be nice to have the right to if I wanted too. Only in Canada just like Red Rose Tea.

Convert said:
At least 1000 miles a year by myself stick to trails i know very well always carry survival gear, can be quite enjoyable at times, my pace, nobody to hold me back or make me try to keep up. I find i take more time to look around me and enjoy the wildlife/scenery. Can be a little unnerving at night but in four years i've had one instance where my sled forced me to head for home (Jackshaft Bearing) i was able to ride home so guess that means she's been 100% reliable ;)! :4STroke:

Yea I can imagine you on the trails alone humming to this one particular song by Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans. Guess which one it is! lol ;)! Come to think of it with the TY channel on our colletts we are all going to hear it ohh that cant be good!

Thanks, pinhead!!! Now my secret is out :D .......One way to not get fanny fatigue!

I ride about 1000 miles per year....most of it alone. I carry a cell phone...and on a groomed approved trail. My time is limited....I like to drive....not sit waiting somewhere for something. It is great during the midweek daytime, not busy on the trail. I don't drive like a maniac at anytime, just out to enjoy the sled and scenery...not push everything to the limit.

I ride alone quite a bit. Always carry an axe & have a large tank of fire starter.I always tell my wife that if I don't show up for supper that I'll be sitting by a LARGE fire & will be easy to find at nite.

Have a friend or I guess I should have said had a friend who rode alone alot.

Blew a corner and the sled pinned him down, nothing else wrong with him other than he suffocatted.

Hope your cell phones work well.

redrx1rkt said:
...how often do you do it? Are you more cautious? Ever have a breakdown alone?

I ride by myself quite often to meet other riders from my home. Usually it's around 20 - 30 miles or so. I tend to ride a tad more cautiously too.

I haven't had a breakdown, but I have had to stop and make adjustments, or relieve myself - sometimes I leave the sled running so I don't have to worry about it NOT starting. It did overheat once, but some nice Yamaha riders stopped to check on me ;)! This was shortly after I almost hit 3 deer.

Allot can happen in 20 - 30 miles and sometimes I don't see anybody else on the trail. It's not fun, especially when the temps drop, it's at night, or some nut cuts you off - long story, short: People in his group need to learn how to share the trails, or at least look before they swerve into an up-coming sled from behind. Either way, I was out-numbered and uncomfortable.

I once rode with a group who was on a hotel hopping trip. I rode with them to their destination north of Mont-Laurier Quebec. We ate lunch and I headed back to the hotel in the rain...by myself, first time in Quebec. It was a weekday, it was raining and snow conditions were just OK. Needless to say, traffic was nil. I only saw one or two sleds, and that was near Mont-Laurier. I basically rode about 70-80 miles alone on my 2002 SXR600, never seeing another sled. North of Mt. Laurier is one desolate area, if you've ever been there you know what I am talking about! I never worried about it. Good trail signs, sled was running great, it was daytime.

I once got my RX stuck in some deep snow. I had to walk two miles home in my gear. Boy did I get some funny looks walking through town fully decked out in sled gear until I got to the house!

Just last month I got hung up on a log in the woods. I couldn't get the front end to slide forward when I lifted the rear end up and pushed forward. I ended up pulling backward and lifting one ski at a time onto the log. Finally I backed it off into the brush, and with no other way out, I gunned it at the log and jumped it. This whole process took me 30 mins.

Back