• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Riding in Iron County Forest boon docking???

sledneck22

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Has anyone every went boon docking in the Iron County Forest? This is the land... as far as i can tell... east of mercer and by manitowish.
I am looking to head that way in two weeks and was hoping someone had some experience with this.
Is it worth even going off trail up there? Does anyone have a better map of the land which your able to ride? Does anyone have a good entrance/exit to the county land? Does anyone wan to meet me in iron county on the 15th?
Any information available would be a help. All I found is the stuff posted on the Hurley area chamber of commerce site.

Good luck this year. Lucky if the trails are open, but forget boondocking. Not enough snow and it may be very costly in new parts for your sled.

Understandable... Just going to be riding there in 2 weeks and wanted to scout it out for future trips to see if it would be worth it. It is just hard to see anything on the Iron County Trail map.

I have been there the last three years and i would not get off the trail there are alot of stumps under the snow that you will hit. Alot of there trail system seems like it the roads they use in the summer in removal of all the trees!!

Becarefull
Brian

You have to go up north in the summer time an go throw the that part of woods to see whats there. And in the winter time you will keep that high dollar sled on the trail not looking for tree stump's. :drink:

I don't go off trail up there that much. We pretty much stick to the few play areas we know of. But you can get a map up there that has all the public land highlighted in green, which denotes areas for boondocking. Stop in at one of the bars in Mercer and ask for a 'boondocking' map. They'll know what you mean.

Back