• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

UP trail closure

doc

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Apex , 2013 Apex
Saw this on FB from a guy on Hayward , WI trail club ….

!!! EMERGENCY MEETING TONIGHT !!!
!!! WAKEFIELD SNOWMOBILE TRAIL 2 CLOSURE !!!
The new ownership of Big Snow Resort , which operates Blackjack Mountain - Big Snow Resort and Indianhead Mountain - Big Snow Resort , alerted the GRTA they are revoking our trail permits permanently. We will hold our club meeting tonight and then move into solution finding discussion on reconnecting the trail system afterwards.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Snowmobile trail 2 in Gogebic county will not connect east to west. Access to Bessemer, MI, Ironwood, MI, Hurley, WI, Mercer, WI will only be possible via 11S connector through Vilas County, WI. County roads are open for snowmobile use in the ROW, unless marked.

We will seek your positive support for snowmobile tourism in a call to action very soon, please check back for updates. We don't have much else to say right now other than we are so, so very sorry to our sponsors, members, neighbors and community leaders. We spent the last week hoping for a different outcome, but it was agreed it was time for us to go public and seek support. It's time to shine with positivity our fellow sled head supporters and show the world how much snowmobiling means to Gogebic County & beyond!

Steve Hamilton
President - GRTA
#saveGCsnowmobiling

Thanks to tree hugger Charles Skinner.
The new owner.
Also owns ski resort in Minnesota.
Read his about info.

Thanks to tree hugger Charles Skinner.
The new owner.
Also owns ski resort in Minnesota.
Read his about info.
Don’t they also own Granite Peaks in Wausua ?? Money hungry azzholes.

Saw this on FB from a guy on Hayward , WI trail club ….

!!! EMERGENCY MEETING TONIGHT !!!
!!! WAKEFIELD SNOWMOBILE TRAIL 2 CLOSURE !!!
The new ownership of Big Snow Resort , which operates Blackjack Mountain - Big Snow Resort and Indianhead Mountain - Big Snow Resort , alerted the GRTA they are revoking our trail permits permanently. We will hold our club meeting tonight and then move into solution finding discussion on reconnecting the trail system afterwards.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Snowmobile trail 2 in Gogebic county will not connect east to west. Access to Bessemer, MI, Ironwood, MI, Hurley, WI, Mercer, WI will only be possible via 11S connector through Vilas County, WI. County roads are open for snowmobile use in the ROW, unless marked.

We will seek your positive support for snowmobile tourism in a call to action very soon, please check back for updates. We don't have much else to say right now other than we are so, so very sorry to our sponsors, members, neighbors and community leaders. We spent the last week hoping for a different outcome, but it was agreed it was time for us to go public and seek support. It's time to shine with positivity our fellow sled head supporters and show the world how much snowmobiling means to Gogebic County & beyond!

Steve Hamilton
President - GRTA
#saveGCsnowmobiling
With that discussion, he is also making it very difficult for business's along that route to survive.

I hate to see these types of stories. Reminds me of the "Petit train du Nord" railway bed that was closed down when urban tree huggers moved to the country and used the courts to make governments bend to THEIR wills.

I would imagine that resort used to cater to sledders too? I guess he doesn't want the business. Also affects other businesses in the area. The only thing that could be done is a boycott and PR campaign. Why can't we just get along?

I'm not defending this new owner, or what is going on, as I have no idea what the real story is. But here is my take on it.

In MN, the sled trail rolls through Giants Ridge ski resort near Biwabik, MN. The trail runs right up to the chalet, where there are multiple dining choices and a bar. There is plenty of parking for sleds off to the side out of the way of the ski hill and skiiers. It's a great match. I wish they would do this at Detroit Mountain in Detroit Lakes, MN. As they have good food, but are nowhere near the trail.

Now on the other hand, I have run this trail in Michigan, and when we rolled through that area, if I remember right, the trail popped out on the top of the ski hill right near the chairs. It downright surprised me, as I was thinking in my head, WTF, we could have easily taken a wrong turn on what we throught was the sled trail, only to find it was a downhill ski trail.

Is there a chance that this new owner was either unwilling to re-route the trail, or was not able to re-route in time for the ski season (which usually fires up on Thanksgiving) Or is there another possibility that the new owner, also brought with him, an insurance company that would not allow that trail to be so close?

This is only coming from my sister, who has worked for a ski resort conglomerate for decades. And when a ski resort is acquired, they usually bring in a certain amount of managers, benefit providers and even insurance providers. And if I were that insurance provider, I would bet I would frown on that sled trail meeting up with the ski runs as it did.

I'm totally thinking outside the box here, and again not defending actions that lead to closing of a major trail. Just spitballing ideas to help explain what has happened.

Last edited:
I'm defending this new owner, or what is going on, as I have no idea what the real story is. But here is my take on it.

In MN, the sled trail rolls through Giants Ridge ski resort near Biwabik, MN. The trail runs right up to the chalet, where there are multiple dining choices and a bar. There is plenty of parking for sleds off to the side out of the way of the ski hill and skiiers. It's a great match. I wish they would do this at Detroit Mountain in Detroit Lakes, MN. As they have good food, but are nowhere near the trail.

Now on the other hand, I have run this trail in Michigan, and when we rolled through that area, if I remember right, the trail popped out on the top of the ski hill right near the chairs. It downright surprised me, as I was thinking in my head, WTF, we could have easily taken a wrong turn on what we through was the sled trail, only to find it was a downhill ski trail.

Is there a chance that this new owner was either unwilling to re-route the trail, or was not able to re-route in time for the ski season (which usually fires up on Thanksgiving) Or is there another possibility that the new owner, also brough with him, an insurance company that would not allow that trail to be so close?

This is only coming from my sister, who has worked for a ski resort conglomerate for decades. And when a ski resort is acquired, they usually bring in a certain amount of managers, benefit providers and even insurance providers. And if I were that insurance provider, I would bet I would frown on that sled trail meeting up with the ski runs as it did.

I'm totally thinking outside the box here, and again not defending actions that lead to closing of a major trail. Just spitballing ideas to help explain what has happened.
That could possibly be the deal. Wish I new more.

I ride this trail tons.. This is a major set back to say the least :(.. I have a place just off 11S and this trail will never handle the traffic that its about to get hit with. Lots of wet spots on 11S early in the year, and honestly only gets groomed about 1-2 times a week> I know this for a fact as I have logged thousands of miles on 11S in the last 7 years. (even saw 2 moose standing in the middle of this trail last year!). Its also been open and mostly closed over the last 10 years or so. I believe trail 11S was suppose to be closed last year, but I believe it was worked out with the logging easement(company). So not sure where things even stand on 11S this year or the future? The area around 11S and Chaney lake is logged frequently and has been closed because of logging and or the logging company getting pissed about sledders.. This decision is really going to hurt business in this area. I can not for the life of me figure why they stopped the trail.. Its not like it effected the ski hills at all IMO.. Literally see no reason for this closure for any thing a sledder could or would do to interrupt the ski hill areas where the trail went through. . This must be a "thing" with the new owner? This area is a hot bed for snowmobiling and relies heavily on sleds and skiers to survive the winter months. Trail 2 is rich in tradition and has been WELL maintained/groomed over the years. Especially the last 3-4 its been awesome(Gogebic Range Trail Authority) GRTA.. Great club and guessing these guys are really upset by this.. I hope they get something worked out for the club sponsors, and the well being of the sport in this area in general..

This just in, looks like my guess was pretty spot on:

Big Snow Resort

3h ·
There has been a great amount of commentary and discussion on the meeting that took place over the snowmobile trail through the resort.
The management of Snowriver Mountain Resort, formerly known as Big Snow, appreciates the feedback we’ve received from snowmobilers over the past few days, and we recognize the huge economic value these visitors bring to the area. We look forward to working with our local community to help strengthen the local economy and continue to be both a good neighbor and good steward of the land we operate on.
As a ski resort, it is our responsibility to provide a comfortable, enjoyable, and safe skiing and boarding experience for our guests, including many families with young children. While we embrace and encourage all forms of winter recreation, the proximity of a busy snowmobile trail to our guests and our ski area operations creates hazards that are not only not covered by our insurance but are also not safe. While we do employ snowmobiles as part of our operations, including snowmaking and ski patrol, these trips are strictly limited, done by trained staff, are covered by insurance and are operated based on best industry safety protocols.

Unfortunately, the snowmobile trail system, as it exists today, goes directly through the heart of our ski area’s base areas and this is not safe. The trail in question came to be when other landowners revoked access to their land back in the mid-2010s. After this, a trail was built across the resort without a written use agreement or adequate liability plan. Moving forward, we are actively exploring options to find a solution in which a snowmobile trail between the east and west of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan can still travel through the communities of our surrounding area while continuing to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our guests.

We were told by the local snowmobile club that it had been working on alternative routing to accomplish this, and we have offered financial assistance to help with this effort.

The Snowriver Mountain Resort and our staff look forward to continuing to be community partners and working with all involved to find a solution that works best for everyone involved.

Charles Skinner
President & CEO
Midwest Family Ski Resorts

So a reply from Big Snow Resort

There has been a great amount of commentary and discussion on the meeting that took place over the snowmobile trail through the resort.

The management of Snowriver Mountain Resort, formerly known as Big Snow, appreciates the feedback we’ve received from snowmobilers over the past few days, and we recognize the huge economic value these visitors bring to the area. We look forward to working with our local community to help strengthen the local economy and continue to be both a good neighbor and good steward of the land we operate on.

As a ski resort, it is our responsibility to provide a comfortable, enjoyable, and safe skiing and boarding experience for our guests, including many families with young children. While we embrace and encourage all forms of winter recreation, the proximity of a busy snowmobile trail to our guests and our ski area operations creates hazards that are not only not covered by our insurance but are also not safe. While we do employ snowmobiles as part of our operations, including snowmaking and ski patrol, these trips are strictly limited, done by trained staff, are covered by insurance and are operated based on best industry safety protocols.

Unfortunately, the snowmobile trail system, as it exists today, goes directly through the heart of our ski area’s base areas and this is not safe. The trail in question came to be when other landowners revoked access to their land back in the mid-2010s. After this, a trail was built across the resort without a written use agreement or adequate liability plan. Moving forward, we are actively exploring options to find a solution in which a snowmobile trail between the east and west of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan can still travel through the communities of our surrounding area while continuing to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our guests.

We were told by the local snowmobile club that it had been working on alternative routing to accomplish this, and we have offered financial assistance to help with this effort.

The Snowriver Mountain Resort and our staff look forward to continuing to be community partners and working with all involved to find a solution that works best for everyone involved.

Charles Skinner
President & CEO
Midwest Family Ski Resorts

my take as well … a little oh sh** …. What did we do
hopefully it will get figured out very soon with out a ton of work on paper and on land
I have not been up there since 98 on the SX , I just don’t remember seeing the ski resort

my take as well … a little oh sh** …. What did we do
hopefully it will get figured out very soon with out a ton of work on paper and on land
I have not been up there since 98 on the SX , I just don’t remember seeing the ski resort
Me either but I normally ride in the middle or Eastern UP.

Back