• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rod thru the case, Not covered under Y.E.S 08 RTX

berge75 said:
They'll cover it. They know they have a problem with the 08 motor. Stay on thier a$$
So, I am curious. What is the "problem" with the engine? I have an '08 with 8200 miles on it and it runs like a Swiss watch. Not trying to be a smart a$$, just would like you to elaborate on the "problem" that you speak of.

I tossed a rod in my 05 RX-1 at about 400 miles. I was doing the recommended break in method from Yamaha. When I called the dealer and told them, they said no way that happened. The 4 stroke just doesn't break. I actually had to argue with them for a bit. I build race engines and I know a rod failure when I see one. Took it to the dealer, they called Yamaha, Yamaha said no way also. Dealer had to argue with them a bit too. They took pictures, sent them off to Japan and I had a new engine the next day.

benny said:
berge75 said:
They'll cover it. They know they have a problem with the 08 motor. Stay on thier a$$
So, I am curious. What is the "problem" with the engine? I have an '08 with 8200 miles on it and it runs like a Swiss watch. Not trying to be a smart a$$, just would like you to elaborate on the "problem" that you speak of.

A local dealer had one this year come in with a hole in the block(from a broken rod), and when they contacted Yamaha thier comment was "another one of those". Put it this way ,they were not suprised.
I looked at the motor,and I could see the center lower rod bearing had spun.

Its not the dealer they dont have the final say its Yamaha Corp. Your dealer cant do anything without the ok from them.

unpride said:
Its not the dealer they dont have the final say its Yamaha Corp. Your dealer cant do anything without the ok from them.

thats true and not..

the dealer kinda "sells" Yamaha in the way they deliver or describe whats going on....and believe me the dealers get watched if they are too liberal...

in my experience...a good dealer can figure out to get just about anything covered...and a bad can prevent what should be from being covered

Hey, can I ask what happened to your engine? My 08 MTX just blew a rod (thru the case) as well. Only have 1200KM (700miles). Unfortunately I didn't buy the extended warranty. +/- $4500 in parts to fix. I guess i'm looking for a used engine.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your breakdown, but I know how it feels. :drink:

DVL

even WITHOUT AND EXTENDED WARRANTY YOU CAN GET IT COVERED sometimes....thats rediculous..Id be on with customer service immediately

wasnt there something I read about the 2008 3 holers possibly having a issue with the chain tensioner? is it just a rod or was there more damage..
maybe theres a direct corelation between the two...chain skips a cog and throws timing off pistin hits a valve and rod breaks or?

Thanks for all the support, mine has always ran like a Swiss watch too, the chain looks ok, I'm not going to throw my dealer under the bus, their going over the top to help me, and I'm thankful.
It's the center rod cap that broke, yamaha said the only way that could happen is running w/lo oil level. So it's not covered *qoute you need to ck. oil before every ride end qoute* -Just like you do on your truck-?

Sometimes in the morning I'd start it and the oil light would be on, ck. level fine restart light is off? Also seen oil light on when riding very hard on shelled out trails or power lines again level is fine. Rep said if I would have taken it to the dealer to document this, it may have been covered. P.S. HYGEAR Shock package works.

My dealer is still working on getting it covered, looks like this season is shot.

I think if I would have seen my oil light on repeatedly I would have brought it to the dealer rite away if the oil level was fine, my .02

sj said:
wasnt there something I read about the 2008 3 holers possibly having a issue with the chain tensioner? is it just a rod or was there more damage..
maybe theres a direct corelation between the two...chain skips a cog and throws timing off pistin hits a valve and rod breaks or?

It was the 205-2007 3 holers that had the chain tension issues. It was fixed after that.

I check my oil and top up (with Yamaha oil) before every ride... Always. Mine went without any warning, just a couple of ticks and then kablammo.

When we got it home and took it apart we found that the oil tank was over full and the level inside the engine was very low. Oil looks and feels good, not really any metal filings that we could see. I'm assuming that the rod bearing failed somehow (or ??) and plugged the screen coming from the oil tank. I don't know.

I guess I'll try and phone Yamaha and make a stink and see where that gets me.

At the very least they should warranty yours 1st Yamaha seeing you bought their warranty.

Back