• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX Overheating

giddy up go

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 apex er
Has anyone had a problem with their apex overheating.

I have a new 2007 RTX I was out last night on it's maiden run with about 2-3 inches of loose snow on the tail and after 10 miles the engine overheat light came on. I let it sit for 10 min's or so started it back up and light was gone out so I rode it back home Just before I got home the light come on again. Seem to be lots of antifreeze in the jugs. I was thinking maybe an airlock in the cooling system. Any other ideas I may look for.

Probably the first thing to check is, if your antifreeze is 100 percent. If so, take some out, use distilled water and bring it down to 60/40.

Not enough cooling snow ,
but the sled would actually shut down if it was close to hurting itself !
The light comes on early !
Once it has a few miles on it , won't be a problem.

Verfie the cooling fan on the right hand side is coming on,

Unit will shut off only after a cold start and is left idling for too long

Definitely not normal.

Last season we (me on my 07 RTX and a buddy on his 06 Apex ER) got in a situation in Northern Ontario part way between towns without any snow at all and running low on gas. We ended up riding at least 50 miles on rock hard frozen dirt. The cooling fans ran constantly and our right feet were absolutely sweltering.

As long as we kept moving at the right speed, the temperature light stayed off, even without any snow. When we stopped the light would turn on after about 5-10 seconds of idling so it was obviously right on the edge.

Both of us were running 50/50 antifreeze/water and we took it easy (~20 mph). Any slower and the temperature light would turn on and we'd stop to let things cool down.

The sleds did fairly well considering - except we wore right through a pair of skis and our hyfax wore down paper thin (the ER actually wore right through 4 pairs of hyfax on the trip, my RTX made it with only the 1 pair). Although that 50+ mile section was the worst, there were 100's of miles without snow and probably 1000 miles on rock hard ice or dirt.

Not a fun trip for us, but at least it confirms these sleds shouldn't overheat with a 50/50 mix and with a functional cooling fan.

Definitely check the coolant level, the coolant mix and the coolant fan. Our sleds all came with close to 100% antifreeze and 50/50 or 60/40 cools much better than 100%.

One other thing we've seen is if the snow flap gets sucked up inside the tunnel, bent outwards too far, or is missing, the sleds can overheat (temperature light turns on).

In 2-3 inches of snow, even during break-in, your sled should not overheat unless you let it idle for too long.

Back