• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX v XTX ?

yamahinn03

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
12 Nytro XTX (mine)
06 Apex GT (wifes)
07 Phazer (#2 sons)
02 Viper (#1 Sons)
:yam:Can any of you guys compare the difference, recommendation for trail riding. I have an 09 RTX, looking to upgrade next season, not sure if I want another RTX or switch to an XTX?? Mostly groomed Wisco trails.
Love my RTX but its time for somthing new, different after riding it for 10yrs, 12000mi. I think??:dunno::dunno:

Extra length is always nice when it gets bumpy. I loved my 08 in short form but the longer it is the more comfy on bumpy straits. Cornering short is my fav

If your buying new I don't think they have an RTX available anymore, shortest is the LTX at 137. I have the RTX and enjoy it. I have ridden the 137's and don't really notice the extra length trail riding. There is a post from Port Yamaha a few years back that compared track length and actual track on the ground.

Not planning on new, gonna try an find a 13 or 14 lower miles. We still ride hard but not like we used to, cornering hard not to much of an issue,

Not planning on a new one, no Yamacat for me yet, gonna try an find a 13/14 with lower miles. Thot about possibly movin back up to an Apex but the Nytro makes me smile every time I get on it.
I had a RX1 before the Nytro. Great cruising sled. Wife has An Apex love the motor but.....

Not planning on new, gonna try an find a 13 or 14 lower miles. We still ride hard but not like we used to, cornering hard not to much of an issue,
Ya we are a little older and slower too but not to much. Still putting on some good miles. The yamcats aren’t bad. Have you tried one? Didn’t see you out this year or I’d have let you try mine.

I didn't notice any issues when going between my RTX Apex and my XTX.
And yes we have tight/twisty trails. The XTX has a nicer ride as well.
Personally I am done with anything less than a 137" track from here on out.

Yes I did ride one when they had the test rides in Tomahawk back in ‘15.
Was ok. Would have taken the opportunity again. Maybe take you up on that next year!!

Once you go big you will not want to go back to a 121". Traction, flotation, and smoothing out some bumps are why most of us like longer track sleds. If you dont go XTX with a 144" tipped rail skid, another great option would to buy a newer 121" and stretch it to 136"/137" using the Star skid relocation kit and short rail extensions. Keep in mind that the only down side for some people going with a sled like the XTX is that you will get a little push in the corners under certain snow conditions. If you stud it this will be worse and you will be cranking down the front end which will then increase steering effort. Its viscous circle. Personally I prefer a little push in the corners the older I get. I am running no studs in my 08" stretched to 144" with tipped up rail extension and I am very happy with how it rides and handles. G.B.

I currently own 4 Yamaha 4 stroke sleds, all in 144, with 1 reduced to 136 because Fast doesn't make the M20 Airwave in a 144. The Apex began life. a 144, now has the Airwave. Venture, conventional 144. Nytro, Cat 141 setback for 144. And an Attak with an ExpertX 136, setback for 144. Sensing a theme here? All 4 handle extremely well. Proper ski, proper wear bars, and proper suspension setup is the key. The tipped rail 144 is a very good suspension for aggressive riding and only lacks stutter bump compliance. This is much better with a Star complete setup in it. The XTX skid that was in my Apex is now in Yamadoo's sled. All of my sleds have been ridden in the Tomahawk Wi. area trails a lot. We have a family vacation home there. All have been ridden in the U.P. under all kinds of conditions. You'll likely never regret going longer. My Nytro with the Cat skid is getting some shock and linkage upgrades. I LOVE riding this sled! 1.5 Crosscountry gives pretty darn good traction in most conditions. The 1.75 Backcountry was great everywhere with the exception of U.P. Grade running. Continued high speed seemed to melt the slides lol. Hope everyone's viewpoint allows you to make your decision !

I currently own 4 Yamaha 4 stroke sleds, all in 144, with 1 reduced to 136 because Fast doesn't make the M20 Airwave in a 144. The Apex began life. a 144, now has the Airwave. Venture, conventional 144. Nytro, Cat 141 setback for 144. And an Attak with an ExpertX 136, setback for 144. Sensing a theme here? All 4 handle extremely well. Proper ski, proper wear bars, and proper suspension setup is the key. The tipped rail 144 is a very good suspension for aggressive riding and only lacks stutter bump compliance. This is much better with a Star complete setup in it. The XTX skid that was in my Apex is now in Yamadoo's sled. All of my sleds have been ridden in the Tomahawk Wi. area trails a lot. We have a family vacation home there. All have been ridden in the U.P. under all kinds of conditions. You'll likely never regret going longer. My Nytro with the Cat skid is getting some shock and linkage upgrades. I LOVE riding this sled! 1.5 Crosscountry gives pretty darn good traction in most conditions. The 1.75 Backcountry was great everywhere with the exception of U.P. Grade running. Continued high speed seemed to melt the slides lol. Hope everyone's viewpoint allows you to make your decision !

What's your suspension/ski set up recipe on your Venture..I have the Venture TF 151", but basically same principle. Thanks

Mine is a GT, so it has compression and rebound adjustment up fron and compression adjustment on the rear skid shock. Also have aftermarket torsion cams. So up front;
Curves with 8" SlimJim Doolies
1/2" of toe out
2 1/4" preload (see picture)
1 click in from full soft on compression and 5 clicks in from full soft on rebound
Center shock is 1 5/8 preload (picture)
Limiter straps fully out
Rear shock
Spring cam on 2 from softest, no spring spacer
Compression 5 in from full soft
Transfer 1" (picture)
I'll post the pictures after I resize them.

20200407_175357.jpg
20200407_175357.jpg 20200407_175357.jpg 20200407_175503.jpg 20200407_175611.jpg

Back