• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Running engine died, now just a click

dnhll

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 RS Viking Pro
New to a site. Great information.

I have a new to me 2011 VK. Was grooming some trails near my house the other night and it just died. No warning; it was like I hit the kill switch. It was a mild downhill with no load. Tried to start it and just got 1 click which was clearly coming from the starter relay. Cycled the kill switch. No click when off. 1 click when on. Jumped it and still got just 1 click. Tested the relay with an ohm meter. It was open with the key off. It was also open with the on (I thought my problem was diagnosed as bad starter relay). I turned the key over and shorted the relay with a screwdriver. Lots of sparks but the starter didn't turn over. So I *think* this means I have a bad starter and starter relay, which seems a little odd to me unless the relay went and that killed the starter. Although, wouldn't the relay have had to be stuck closed not open? Why would that have killed the sled when running? Am I thinking about this right? Other possibilities?

Thanks!

Last edited:

voltage was good i hope. it will just die like that if the battery is dead.

check your voltage regulator up front under the rubber flap, pull the connector off and check the pins on the regulator and the sockets in the connector, chances are some are corroded off. sounds like you were running off the battery for awhile until it died. I've witness this before and usually happens to sleds that are trailered a lot or operated in a corrosive environment ie: ( crossing a lot of salty roads). there was thread in this section about this sometime in December 2018 and I mentioned the connector kit that was availiable from Yamaha and chances are you will need a new regulator also. I think he found connector kit on ebay or amazon. note: be sure to add some dielectric grease to that connector when reassembling! cheers!

Thanks guys.

I was able to the pull the sled back to the house last night. The regulator connectors look ok. I charged the battery over night and the charger said it was full; it will typically throw an error code if there is an issue. Tried to start it, this am and only got one click. I shorted the starter relay again and managed to burn of part of my screwdriver tip (it wasn't on very long) and starter didn't crank. I am really starting to think it is the starter, which I am not excited about. Would love any other thoughts. I appreciate the help!

Thanks guys.

I was able to the pull the sled back to the house last night. The regulator connectors look ok. I charged the battery over night and the charger said it was full; it will typically throw an error code if there is an issue. Tried to start it, this am and only got one click. I shorted the starter relay again and managed to burn of part of my screwdriver tip (it wasn't on very long) and starter didn't crank. I am really starting to think it is the starter, which I am not excited about. Would love any other thoughts. I appreciate the help!
Doesn't explain the unexpected engine stalling though. Is the engine free?

Agreed. I haven't checked. How is the best way to do that? Thanks!

Agreed. I haven't checked. How is the best way to do that? Thanks!
Just grab the clutch with your hands and turn it. This would be unusual for sure, but I have seen a case where the starter clutch was worn, then stuck which caused the starter to become damaged.

Back