• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Running Lean

AnolaRX1

I have done Sled Dogs air box mod and I also installed a glass pack tunnel dump exhaust. I installed the exhaust after the doughnuts let loose and ripped holes in the paper thin titanium headers. Replaced with stainless steel and figured might as well change the exhaust as well. It was a good move as I can feel the extra snap. But after I did that pulled the plugs and they are quite white, almost ashy. Should I jet up or cover a few holes in airbox? I am figuring jet up as more fuel = more hp. I am currently running 17.5 pilots and 170 mains. 800ft above sea level. needles are stock and in stock position.
Out of the hole it jumps to 10,000rpm, I would like to see 10,200 - 10,500 as people suggest. I have stock clutching, helix at 60 deg. Maybe dirty clutch or lean condition?

that is the same jetting i am running with just a modded airbox. the only way you will ever know for sure about the right jetting is to buy an 02 sensor. mine is ok with the 170 mains, but yours is probably lean. buy a guage and get it right. for now cover some of the airbox. these engines can run lean and live, but the whole idea of the mod is power, and that takes fuel.

Update. Finally got out for a good run. 3 little kids will prevent lots of riding that is for sure. 40 miles of ungroomed powder in the swamps of the Interlake. Was riding with a 2003 F7, 2005 600XPSP, and 2013 Indy 600SP. Finally came to a groomed trail on the Shoal Lakes and was able to do some racing. I took everything off the line. Both 600's were not a problem all the way to top end. The F7 I got the jump on in 3 races but he would take me at 100mph+. My top end was only 105mph on the Speedo, with one tooth ground off speed sensor so I know that is pretty close as the F7 was reading about the same but was obviously his top end was higher. Last year with just the air box mod and jetting I was seeing 116mph on mulitiple runs, now I see 105mph. I know I am running lean and would lke to put 190 mains in to get ready for next winter. I need to beat the brother-in-laws F7 to be accepted into the family! haha. But now my RX-1 is really impressing me by how hard it is pulling. Still running stock clutching and gearing which I hope to change for next year. Also in the plans is stretching it to 144 and new seat and risers. I see no reason to buy a new sled when my 2005 is running so good.

Are you sure you are running lean I am running 165"s and my plugs are running a tan color my elevation is around 1800 feet. I also had to open my air box up some to get the tan color I was a rusty orange color prior to opening up the airbox some more. If it is constantly white and I mean white not tan, tan is perfect I would go bigger jetting for more HP. You are going to have to clutch for it to really shine though. What is your rpm WOT?

Just checked plugs again. Nice tan colour. Glad I checked it again. Rpm at wot is just a hair over 10,000. What would you suggest for clutching? Over summer I do plan on adding rail extensions to a 144 and will drop to a 39 tooth sprocket. I should do that first before touching the clutching.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 120
jumping from 170 to 190 jets is 8 sizes bigger. spend the money on an o2 sensor and quit guessing. 105 is pretty lame and thats because the rpm is only at 10000. it has to run at 10600-10800 for max speed. many say the max should be 10200, but the radar gun says otherwise. my 05 is stretched to 144 with 22-42 gears and 10 tooth drivers.

What is your gearing now?
For reference I am running 04 rx1 mountain with 165 jets stock springs stock needle settings stock idle jets 17.5 and stock secondary. I am running extrovert drivers with stock tooth. My primary is basically the same as stock 05 warrior and my gearing is 24 / 40 with 70 link chain track is a stock 151 2" paddle.

One thing I forgot to mention was that plug reading was taken when it was about +3C. When I first posted it was -20C. That would make a difference I am sure. Thanks for all your help as you guys have steered me in the right direction. We don't have enough snow for me to start changing stuff now so this will be a great summer project. With 4 women in the house it will be a good excuse to spend time in the garage.
One more question is the O2 sensor. What kind and how to install? Is there info in the tech pages that I havn't seen yet?

Yes that will make a difference you very well could be running a bit lean at that temp. The only way to know is get the 02 sensor or trial and error until plugs run a consistant color.

Back