• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Bogs, Backfires & Quits

fourmile

Country
USA
Snowmobile
20005 Yamaha RX1, Yamaha 2005 RS Venture, Yamaha 2014 RS Venture
I have a 2005 RX-1 in excellent condition with 4500 miles. The carbs were ultrasonically cleaned at the start of the season. The sled was running great. I use premium gas. It sat idle for 3 weeks. My nephew took it out recently on a 40 mile trip. The sled started up perfectly in the morning. Approximately 20 miles into the trip and when letting up on the throttle, the lights would dim, and the engine would bog, backfire and quit. This happened repeatedly eventually draining the battery to where the sled would have to be jump started to get going again. He said choke was off. Anyone have any ideas what the issue can be and why it would drain the battery?

Have your starter checked to see if stays engaged. Could be a faulty key switch drawing power. This has happened on a couple ventures and nytros.

Other things could be a faulty relay, or loose connection at the battery.

Have your starter checked to see if stays engaged. Could be a faulty key switch drawing power. This has happened on a couple ventures and nytros.

Other things could be a faulty relay, or loose connection at the battery.
Thanks NOS-PRO for your suggestions. I will attempt to troubleshoot those.

TORS? Try bypassing it.

TORS? Try bypassing it.
Thanks for the response Doug. After looking thru the many threads on this forum, I see it is mentioned frequently as a potential problem. I have it on my list of things to check.

Until I can get back up north to start implementing your suggestions for troubleshooting my sled issue, perhaps you can educate me a little more on how everything works. It seems to me my problem would be primarily engine related. As the engine bogs, backfires and the rpm’s slow, the lights would dim accordingly. This is versus an electrical or battery problem causing those engine issues. Thoughts? Is it correct that the battery is only required to start the engine? The lights, grip warmers, instrument cluster, etc. all work from power created by the magneto/generator. Just wondering if my basic understanding of how the sled works is correct. Thanks for your help.

It is not uncommon to have to clean the carbs twice or even more. Also the coils will arc against each other. Start the sled in the dark and look for a light show.

Until I can get back up north to start implementing your suggestions for troubleshooting my sled issue, perhaps you can educate me a little more on how everything works. It seems to me my problem would be primarily engine related. As the engine bogs, backfires and the rpm’s slow, the lights would dim accordingly. This is versus an electrical or battery problem causing those engine issues. Thoughts? Is it correct that the battery is only required to start the engine? The lights, grip warmers, instrument cluster, etc. all work from power created by the magneto/generator. Just wondering if my basic understanding of how the sled works is correct. Thanks for your help.
The battery is for starting, and storing system voltage. When running the stator and regulator maintain the voltage to keep the sled running and for all accessories. If either one of those are week, it will cause the engine to quit, lights dim, voltage to coils weaken etc. With the engine off you should see about 12.6V at the battery leads, with the engine running you should see 1 to 1.5 volts over that reading for a proper stator/voltage regulator. This is true on anything, boat, motorcycle, ATV, your car or truck. That is why everyone should own a volt meter, best place to start when having voltage issues.

Back