• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Mods / Suggestions

winginit

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Nytro XTX 1.75
2005 RX-1
I have a 2005 RX-1 base 121 that serves as a backup/loaner sled. The sled is just sitting unused right now because I wasn't paying attention a couple years ago and while my buddy was riding it for the season the rear axle worked loose and egged out the right side slide rail badly. At the same time it took out all the bearings in the three rear wheels and one of the track tensioners. I've priced parts out to ~$580 to fix it. If I do that then I'll have the same heavy rocket that's a fun machine, but that I'll likely never ride again because I really like my '14 Nytro XTX. For a number of years I've considered putting a different skid in it, based on suggestions from this board such as an M-10/M-20 or an AD Boivin ZX2. AD Boivin doesn't make skids any more so that option is out unless I find one used. But as I consider the thought of putting money into this thing , part of me wonders if I should do even more like extend it. I could probably extend the existing skid without the egged out hole being an issue at all, but then its the same '05 mono skid that is prone to destruction (yes w-arm has been replaced once, no zerks, bushings and etc). If I decide to go longer, I wouldn't consider less than 144" w/ at least 1.75", similar to the XTX...should I go longer? I live in NH so we have great trail systems but limited off-trail. I enjoy taking the XTX off trail now and then when I can, but nobody in the group has a sled that can follow me so I don't do it much. We typically ride trails pretty fast & hard...I wouldn't expect this to be a model trail sled any longer, but rather just somewhat trail friendly. My thought is if I mod the RX-1 enuf, it would be a fun sled to use myself periodically and have family members use as well. I'd also get rid of the USI skis that are on it (steers like a tank) and probably put Simmons Gen3's to counter the weight of the beast in deeper snow. All this said...I have a strange fondness for this sled. Should I bother to make a bunch of mods...will the result be worth the effort and money (without spending an absolute fortune on a older sled)...or should I part ways with it? Might I be better served to just use that money towards another used sled that's inherently more off-trail capable? If I do the mods, which ones would you recommend based on what I've described? Thoughts?

I can tell you that I have a 136 m10, the sled performs so much better in 136 form. Love the ride. save the money on the skis and put on snowtrackers.

Part of me wants to go absurd since it has been a long time since I've taken on a real project...last one was a boat refurb. Has anyone heard anything about the 162" Hartman Lightweight Bolt-in Skid Suspension for an RX-1? http://www.hartmaninc.com/catalog/complete-lightweight-bolt-in-skid-suspension.html It isn't cheap and I can't find any reference to anyone having tried one. I'm thinking I'll call them and see what they say about it.

Hi I have a 05 warrior. Ran it many miles in 136. most notable mod was thickest boss seat. Changed sitting position a lot. Later when w-arm busted I found a smoking deal on new 153 nytro track, tunnel and suspension. took a little fabbing to mate tunnel up but love the hookup and now sit even higher. Much more forgiving on the ole back . I had to go from 9 tooth driver to 7 to fit track. No groomed trails here so nobody studs. Now I holeshot with 800s so Im not not blasting past at 70 or 80 anymore lol.

Back