• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rx1 bender turbo oil pressure

krauss2005

Extreme
how much oil should i be seeing comming from the feed line going back to the turbo when its running...i dont have the turbo bolted up yet just trying to get everything primed up but i barley hve n e oil comming out but it is a solid stream bit its a very small steady stream

it should be pretty small. Too much will cause a smokey haze at idle and just make a mess by coating everything, intercooler, pipes, plugs. It should be about the size of a clicker pencil that shoots about 12 inches steady..

is a solid stream but there is no pressure behind it like u say ot should shoot out mine does not shoot out.....what could be the problem

There is a main jet in the line. Look on the brake side of your fuel tank. There should be a coupling in the supply line and it holds the jet. Maybe pull it apart and make sure the jet is clean and not partially plugged. I can't remember what size the jet is, but it is small. If it is too big, you will blow smoke and crap out the exhaust.

On the GT series Ball Bearing turbos you'll want the oil restrictor orface large enough to atleast maintain minimum 2 psi at idle at the center section oil inlet when the oil temp is at full hot. The type of oil and the weight will dictate the differences between setups.
If you restrict too much, you won't have enough pressure at idle and low RPM's when at full operating temperature, which can eventually cook the ball bearings in the turbo.

As thinksnow mentioned, crud (like chunks of teflon tape or RTV) can plug up the orface in the restrictor jet and cause low pressure.
It should stream out pretty hard when you start the engine.

Oil return

Sorry to hijack your thread. But, can someone tell me where is the best place to return the oil from the turbo back to the engine or to the oil tank with an Apex engine? Put the engine in a Polaris RZR and need to know where is the best place.

HawkEngInc said:
Sorry to hijack your thread. But, can someone tell me where is the best place to return the oil from the turbo back to the engine or to the oil tank with an Apex engine? Put the engine in a Polaris RZR and need to know where is the best place.
Dump back to the oil tank breather line at the top of the tank... If you are using a ball bearing turbo and mounting it so the return is below the oil level you will need an oil scavenge pump to positively return the oil and prevent oil backup into the turbo.
If you are mounting it above the engine, gravity return the oil into the cam cover, the black threaded plug...

HawkEngInc said:
Where does the supply come from on the engine to the turbo?
FPP uses a pancake spacer that mounts between the oil filter and the block, tapped fitting off of that to a oil feed line...

Possibly then a "T" between the oil pressure sending unit and block? No other option unless you wanbt to drill and tap into the block oil gallery...

yes, that sounds like it, has the electrical plug on top.

All of the comments on this thread are geared to the later model of the Bender turbo that uses engine oil. I have the older version with the oil tank and electric pump on the back of the sled behind the seat. I'm having issues with oil making it through the intercooler to my carburetors. Is there a jet or anything I can check on that style? Also how do I tell when I have the proper amount of oil in the reservoir? I wrote it last night and I assume the red light on my dash is an indicator that the oil is low.

The red light was from a hobb switch that detected oil pressure from the pump, lit up when there wasn't enough pressure or the pump quit working.
You are getting oil into the charge side / compressor side and into the intercooler and carbs. Are you getting oil coming out the exhaust too?
Oil pushing past the center section ring seals of the turbo into the compressor or turbine housings can result from either over oiling, restricted drain, or slop in the shaft that has worn the seal rings.
Did this just start happening? If you have too much oil in the reservoir tank, the level will be too high and cause backpressure on the gravity drain back up into the turbo center section. That has to drain by gravity with zero restriction or backpressure or the oil will take the path of least resistence, backs up and puddles against the shaft seals. They are just basically piston rings so they won't hold back oil under pressure.

Last edited:

Back