• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Bulkhead Replacement

Executive1

I have to replace the bulkhead on my 04 RX1.The damage is only on the left side. From What I can gather is that the bulkhead is in 2 peices, left and right. Can anybody confirm this for me? It will save me alot of unecessary work if I can replace just one side. If only I had seen that rock!! :o|

Sure thing:

The bulkhead assembly is indeed, in two pieces. You WILL have to drill out ALL rivets, both sides in order to pull the assembly forward, before seperating the halves - you'll see what I mean.

TIP:

#1. Use an air chisel and chiselt the rivet heads it goes ALLOT faster.

#2. Measure the brass colored threaded bushings that the motor mount bolts go through, this will help you maintain, or set your clutch alignment when finished. You'll still need to check it though.

#3 Now's a good time to have the shocks re-built, and inspect/replace any worn-out A-arm bushings.

I have the bulkhead ordered from my local dealer. I have another question though. When I receive the part will it be two separate halves or will I need to seperate them myself? No rush, as the snow here is just about gone now anyway.

Executive1 said:
I have the bulkhead ordered from my local dealer. I have another question though. When I receive the part will it be two separate halves or will I need to seperate them myself? No rush, as the snow here is just about gone now anyway.

They will be in 2 separate halves, unless your dealer only ordered the side you needed. Don't forget the rivets, you'll need about 20 black and 40 natural.

Thanks for all your help. When I get the parts in I may need you again!!
I really appreciate it.

rx1 Bulkhead replacment

I am only now getting around to doing this job. Can anyone tell me how to get those threaded bushings out of the bulkhead?

Re: rx1 Bulkhead replacment

Executive1 said:
I am only now getting around to doing this job. Can anyone tell me how to get those threaded bushings out of the bulkhead?

Another trick to getting those rivets out is to use a 5/16 or 11/32" pilot point bit to cut the heads off.

You should be able to turn them out with a flat bladed (standard) screwdriver - If I recall??? Remember to measure how much they stick out first - it'll make the clutch alignment that much simpler.

Good luck!

Thanks for the fast reply. As far as marking the bushings for clutch alignment, would you know what the tolernace might be. I think I may be off about an 1/8 of an inch. Maybe I am being too picky. I am not sure.

Thanks,
Craig

I've pulled the left side bulkhead off and left the right side intact (2003 RX1). You need to pull the seat and tank off and pull the alum u frame support back to clear the studs on the front. Hopefully this works...my local dealer did not have Yamaha rivet, so he gave me Ski doo ones instead. I hope it doesn't slow me down too much. Those frozen logs are hard to move with the ski. Thank god for used parts.
:4STroke:

Back