• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

School me on communicators...please.

I can only speak about the Sena SMH-10 units. The wife and I have used a set for the last four years sledding up here in Northeastern Ontario and we love them. Carole really likes knowing when oncoming traffic and big bumps are ahead. The battery lasts all day with heavy communication back and forth, we basically talk all the time on our trips, more than we ever do at home. The battery doesn't last as long in -35C temps and we have to pull out the 12VDC charger cable after about 6 or 7 hrs but fortunately, we can continue to use them as they charge. I had to change my unit's battery after three years and the wife's will have to be changed this year as hers now dies sooner than before. I bought a five pack of batteries from China. The phone connectivity is awesome, just like bluetooth connection in a car just remember to click off the intercom before making a call. You can even connect the wife back into the phone call after making it like a three-way, did it by accident once. Priority is automatically given to phone, intercom, music in that order if I remember right so a call will automatically interrupt the intercom but re-connect the intercom after you hang up the phone. The single phone button and large push button/rotary dial works well with gloves on. Every mode retains it's own volume setting. The range is just right for us and I can tell when I'm too far ahead of her as her the sound gets a little scratchy.

Last two posts are about Sean, which is one I'm seriously considering. What do you estimate your real world distance is on these for decent communication on trails?

Distance has a lot to do with terrain that you are riding in. My 10s can be anywhere from half mile to mile if I am not in the hills. For some reason they start to break up in the hills. But when it comes down to it I try not to get a mile ahead of my wife when I am riding with her. lol

Last two posts are about Sean, which is one I'm seriously considering. What do you estimate your real world distance is on these for decent communication on trails?

I forgot to mention intercom is full duplex, you can hear and talk at the same time. VOX can be setup I think.

Clear line of sight: 1 to 2 km (1 mile)
Through the bush: half that at most
On the other side of a hill: half that again

My wife likes to be at the back of the pack so she doesn't have to worry about other riders (apart from other groups coming fast from behind of course) and I often end up leading the pack the farther we get away from home. This works well to keep the group together. She can also let me know when a fast mover is coming up from behind so I can stop the group in a safe place and let them go by.

Don't buy these to talk with a whole bunch of people at the same time or for very far away. You can communicate with up to three other units if I remember correctly but only one at a time. I could be wrong here.

Anyone seen anything new that is any better than what’s been discussed. Plan to buy something at one of the snow shows this fall.

I owned the Collett 900 and they were not very good! I guess they would be okay for an emergency but not much else. They do make a good helmet ornament! LOL

If you are worried about range, I don't think you are going to be happy with anything Bluetooth based like the Sena or Cardo units are. Don't get me wrong... the Sena and Cardos are great products but really more designed for motorcycle riding where you are typically in close proximity to the other riders. I have been using a Chatterbox X1 for about 8 years and while it isn't perfect (biggest annoyance is anytime your phone loses connection like when you go into a gas station or wander too far from your sled, you need to reconnect Bluetooth manually to be able to listen to music or take calls), but other than an actual professional grade two way radio, nothing is going to come close to its range. Another thing I just learned about it is that the channel it defaults to is a low power mode so your range isn't as good as it can be if you change to a high power channel.

If you are worried about range, I don't think you are going to be happy with anything Bluetooth based like the Sena or Cardo units are. Don't get me wrong... the Sena and Cardos are great products but really more designed for motorcycle riding where you are typically in close proximity to the other riders. I have been using a Chatterbox X1 for about 8 years and while it isn't perfect (biggest annoyance is anytime your phone loses connection like when you go into a gas station or wander too far from your sled, you need to reconnect Bluetooth manually to be able to listen to music or take calls), but other than an actual professional grade two way radio, nothing is going to come close to its range. Another thing I just learned about it is that the channel it defaults to is a low power mode so your range isn't as good as it can be if you change to a high power channel.

Yea..chatterbox x1 is or was amazing.. you can get them cheap now.. on ebay. We have used them for many years.. dropped on once in deep water.. after a week of drying out it still is working fine after years. Long range and lasts all day plus some in below zero weather.

Back