• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Scratchers save $

yamahahaapex

TY 4 Stroke Master
Just went for a 75km trip. The first 50km or so was good enough to keep everything cool. The next 15-20km was trail, not frozen with powder on top. I'm not new to this problem with sliders wearing out but one of my scratchers on one side broke so I had only one down. So every 1-2km I was trying to find some sufficient powder to get into to cool/kick some some on and thought that was good enough. Turns out the side without the scratcher is right down to 12mm. The other side is still new. I could not believe it made that much of a difference. I paid $90 for two scratchers that look like harrow bars and thought what a rip. But now I can see the difference big time

Good comparison but it sucks you have one worn now!
I'm curious, do you still have all your ouside idler wheels on?
I've been trail riding without them with no scratchers and slides are looking good.

I really dont want to have to pull the skid out to replace this one slider. Plenty of topics mention this but I wonder if I can just loosen the track up, remove the bolt and pull it right off.

Skid is very easy to remove and reset.
The sliders were much harder to remove than the skid for me. FYI the sliders are too big to pull out a track window unless you trim a window.

Another thing to consider is the stock sliders hit a certain wear point and just stay there. I switched to hyperfax this season cause I was sick of breaking scratchers (I'm on my 3rd set) and then worrying about my hyfax all day.

yamahahaapex said:
Yeah I have all four on...two on either side. Are you serious? Taking those four wheels off and no problems?

Lots of guys on this site have done this with great results.
My slides were wearing more between the 1st and 2nd set of wheels than anywhere else.
Once I removed the wheels all wear has evened out and they don't seem to be wearing.

It should be ok to leave one slider down at 12mm and the other one as brand new and still drive correct? I ordered another replacement scratcher for 18.00 to put on in the mean time. Hopefully the other slider catches up soon. wakegod your right they do wear down to a point, 12mm to be exact so i will run the worn down one for another year or so yet and just check them after every ride. Once 10-11mm hits they gotta go!

yamahahaapex said:
It should be ok to leave one slider down at 12mm and the other one as brand new and still drive correct? I ordered another replacement scratcher for 18.00 to put on in the mean time. Hopefully the other slider catches up soon. wakegod your right they do wear down to a point, 12mm to be exact so i will run the worn down one for another year or so yet and just check them after every ride. Once 10-11mm hits they gotta go!
where did you get a scratchr for 18.00..and what does it look like..i see them for way more than that..i too took all except the front wheels off..and the hyfax is much better..but lost a scratcher and the side i had my foot down on...with out scratcher..is worn down too.. :o|

Yeah I got the ones that mount underneath your feet. Quebec....I dont know why its only 18 when I paid 95 for two brackets and two scratchers. In reality 18 is what the whole kit should cost in the first place!

yamahahaapex said:
I really dont want to have to pull the skid out to replace this one slider. Plenty of topics mention this but I wonder if I can just loosen the track up, remove the bolt and pull it right off.

I don't loosen track, or remove skid.

All I do is tilt the sled on its side (45 degree angle). I strap it from above so that I don't knock it right over while working on it. Undo the screw that holds the slider in place. Heat the slider up a bit with a torch so it'll slide easier. Then use a flat bar and big hammer to start moving it. Once there is a bit of a gap I use a bar with a notch in it that slides along the rail, [same hammer ;)! ].
I line the track window up so the slider starts to enter it, then once there is a bit of pressure on it, I just slice it a bit so the slider fits through.
I heat the slider several times as I'm pounding it off, once it gets going it'll move 1 - 2 inches with each blow.

To push the new slider back through the track window you might need to smack it a few times with the hammer sideways (or rubber mallet). I spray a bit of lube on the rails and it goes on easier. I use a six inch piece of the old slider to tap it into place once the slider is completely on the rail.

Works for me...only takes a few minutes ;)! .

REXX

Back