• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

seasons done, oil change now or later

ebockus

Pro
i was hoping to get out for one more dide to run ring free thro my machine and then change the oil and be good for next year. thats not happening, im wondering how bad it will be to leave that seasoned motor oil in the sled until next fall, run the ring free then change it? i heard that oil goes acidic after its been run all season then left to sit for 8 months. any comments?

Man did you pick a topic that can be debated till next season. Wait till late
July, early August. :tg:
Seriously, if you rode a lot, and ride hard change it out. If it's synthetic oil
and you were easy on the miles and the heat you could easily leave it in
there for next season.

Roadrider said:
Man did you pick a topic that can be debated till next season. Wait till late
July, early August. :tg:
Seriously, if you rode a lot, and ride hard change it out. If it's synthetic oil
and you were easy on the miles and the heat you could easily leave it in
there for next season.

X2 if rode hard and more the 500 miles change it.

lol umm ya rode it very hard and for about 3500kms. definately synethic. i know i should its just weather i want to waste an oil change becasue im gonna run the ring free thro it asap next yr and it will need another oil change after that. the synthetic aint cheap lol. thanks for the feedback guys, i'll prolly change it then do it again after the ring free early next season

Why not run ring free now and then change the oil at the same time? Run the fuel system dry, fog the motor and throw a cover over it. Call her done.

KBrian said:
Why not run ring free now and then change the oil at the same time? Run the fuel system dry, fog the motor and throw a cover over it. Call her done.
Ring free in run through the fuel system and he would need to run a full tank through it. I doubt he has time to run that many miles

I just read you have an 05. I haven't heard of oil burning issues with 05's, they have the new rings. Does it burn oil?

Change the oil to dino oil for the summer storage. In the fall do the ring free treatment and change the oil to synthetic. I too wonder why you want to do the ring free treatment on an 05 unless it is burning oil. If its not broke dont fix it.

Sled Dog said:
Change the oil to dino oil for the summer storage. In the fall do the ring free treatment and change the oil to synthetic. I too wonder why you want to do the ring free treatment on an 05 unless it is burning oil. If its not broke dont fix it.
Good idea.

ya thats a goood idea, dino oil for storage, run the ring free first ride out. then change back to synthetic. ya my 05 ges thro a bit of oil. 2 litres over 3500kms. i ride it hard, its got about 20,000 on it now. ya i dooubt im gonna get out for that last ride, its gettin warm up here fast.

Now to get all the unwanted crap out of the motor for the summer If you wait the moisture will have all summer to work over the crank case IMHO.

Back