• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seat for Venture MP (Multi Purpose)

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
This idea was originally from LLCCD69 using a motorcycle touring trunk:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=93715

2007 to 2009 Venture MPs did not come with a passenger seat from the factory. I looked at getting this option but Yamaha wants $1200 for the whole kit (no thanks!). When I saw LLCCD69's setup. it got me thinking. I wanted something that I could remove when I needed maximum cargo space, which this sled is great for. This could also be good for Venture Lite owners that would like a trunk and replace the stock seat back.

Parts list for this project:

- Motorcycle touring trunk ($120 delivered from fleabay)
- lower rear seat ($265CDN on US price match by Ottawa Yamaha)
- 2 X 7mm X 40mm long bolts
- 36" of 1 inch square tubing
- 2 X 3/8 threaded rod
- 2 X 3/8 lock nuts
- 2 X 3/8 acorn nuts
- 4 X 3/8 flat washers
- 2 X 5/16 x 1 1/2" long bolts
- 1 can of aluminum spray paint

Future plans are to have it painted to match my sled and see if I can move the trunk down to the driver's back when the passenger seat is removed (hey, I'd like some comfort too sometimes!). If it works out, probably would have to drill more holes in the rack to bolt it up there. Another thing is to add heated grips to the rear. I have a spare set of RSI heaters and some regular grips that I will cut off the ends and glue in place. Checked under the plastic and the wiring is already there. Just have to check if there is power. It will then be a simple matter of adding a switch and wiring.

So follow along with the pics on how I did this.

Attachments

• 100_1864.JPG
    100_1864.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 652
  • 100_1865.JPG
    100_1865.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 568
  • 100_1867.JPG
    100_1867.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 524
  • 100_1868.JPG
    100_1868.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 505
  • 100_1869.JPG
    100_1869.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 100_1861.JPG
    100_1861.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 525
  • 100_1859.JPG
    100_1859.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 508
  • 100_1855.JPG
    100_1855.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 100_1857.JPG
    100_1857.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 509
  • 100_1851.JPG
    100_1851.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 854

Here's a look from the front.

Attachments

• 100_1863.JPG
    100_1863.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 541
Nice job Moose......send me a pm or email...I can tell ya where 2 get the paint 2 match ur sled. Where the hell is the snow?????????We had a bunch here in chicago and now we have nothin. Ur gonna love the extra storage space. My wife says we r all goofy with the ideas we come up with but one of these days she will see the lite and get back in2 sleddin....again nice job

Hi Mooseman,

Thanks for sharing the mod - good detail in the write-up as well. I'm a little confused though by your comment (or the pricing) on not getting the extra seat from Yamaha costing $1200, that's understandable - but what extra would you get from Yamaha for $1200 as compared with the $265 you paid. I only notice that the backrest is not there? Or am I missing a point there? BTW, what colour are you painting the luggage thing? Grey, silver or red?

thanks

LLCCD69 said:
Nice job Moose......send me a pm or email...I can tell ya where 2 get the paint 2 match ur sled. Where the hell is the snow?????????We had a bunch here in chicago and now we have nothin. Ur gonna love the extra storage space. My wife says we r all goofy with the ideas we come up with but one of these days she will see the lite and get back in2 sleddin....again nice job

Thanks for the compliments but the original idea was yours. I just ran with it. It should be big enough to put two helmets.

Yeah, we're in the same boat here with no snow. We just got about 10cm of the fluffy kind of stuff. All it does is spin the track down to the frozen ground. No stick at all. Trails are still closed and very few open across the whole province. Got nothing else to do but mod our sleds and talk about the lack of snow :drink:

BombaPolaYama said:
Hi Mooseman,

Thanks for sharing the mod - good detail in the write-up as well. I'm a little confused though by your comment (or the pricing) on not getting the extra seat from Yamaha costing $1200, that's understandable - but what extra would you get from Yamaha for $1200 as compared with the $265 you paid. I only notice that the backrest is not there? Or am I missing a point there? BTW, what colour are you painting the luggage thing? Grey, silver or red?

thanks

Thanks Bomba. The parts I would get from the entire kit, as far as I know, are 4. 7 and possibly 19 on the picture below. . All I had to get was the seat 4.
http://yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/acce ... model=1991
The price has actually gone down since last year to just over $1000. For less than half of that, I get the same plus a trunk. The trunk does have a backrest built into it. I will be getting it painted Yamaha blue since that is the colour of my sled. The silver paint was only for the metal brackets I made and the underside of the lower seat. I'll try to take some more pictures with the whole sled to give a better look and perspective.

Attachments

• Seat parts.jpg
    Seat parts.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 544
Here's some better views...

Attachments

• 100_1872.JPG
    100_1872.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 632
  • 100_1873.JPG
    100_1873.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 562
  • 100_1875.JPG
    100_1875.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_1876.JPG
    100_1876.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 674
Nice pics, at least you have enough snow to get the sled outside - our ground is bare here.

All you need now is the exhaust extension with a nice cool SS tip to get the exhaust out the back instead of exiting around the track. Makes a good conversation piece as well (ahah).

Today is the first time i looked at this thread. Is yours a Mountain, that you made into a 2-up touring? So they are both long track chassis? That's pretty cool. Nice, thought out work, nothing looks 'cobbled up' i'm really impressed.

BombaPolaYama said:
Nice pics, at least you have enough snow to get the sled outside - our ground is bare here.

All you need now is the exhaust extension with a nice cool SS tip to get the exhaust out the back instead of exiting around the track. Makes a good conversation piece as well (ahah).

I had seriously been thinking of adding one since the time I saw yours. Found a really cool dual tip that would make it look like a dual exhaust. The only thing that scares me is removing that piece of plastic at the back which could increase the tunnel ice accumulation. Maybe I can make another one out of sheet aluminum.

spike337 said:
Today is the first time i looked at this thread. Is yours a Mountain, that you made into a 2-up touring? So they are both long track chassis? That's pretty cool. Nice, thought out work, nothing looks 'cobbled up' i'm really impressed.

No, not a mountain sled. It is basically the same as the Venture Lite except it has a 16" wide track, no mirrors, no passenger seat (2007-2009), lower gearing, VK style wide skis and wide front bumper. As per Yamaha's description, it is "The pick-up truck of the snowmobile world". For whatever reason, this model is available in Canada and Europe only. Too bad because this thing has great flotation. Last season, while on the trail, I hit a huge snow drift and it just powered through it like it wasn't even there. It's too big and heavy to try any kind or real boondocking though.

Thanks for the compliments. I was trying to make it look like it came from the factory like that using the stock seat bottom and the aftermarket trunk. Once it's painted blue, I hope to have truly achieved that.

Now if we could just get some snow! This is killing me!

Hi Mooseman.

We have a six year old who is getting too tall to ride in front of the driver in our 2007 Multi Purposes. Your rear seat looks like the ideal solution for him. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the Yamaha part number for the lower rear seat. I would appreciate it if you still have the number or other information needed to order it. Thanks.

It's not an accessory but a replacement seat. Part number is 8GJ-24750-00-00. You better be sitting down because the price has gone up considerably. At Yamaha Genuine Parts Online Canada, it's $383!

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...b=25&c=0&d=2007 VENTURE LITE 2-PASS SEAT ASSY

Maybe a used one online? There is a complete one on eBay for about $500, backrest included.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/YAMAHA-VENTU...ash=item3aa3fcf434:g:lYEAAOSweW5U8Psl&vxp=mtr

That would be just a straight bolt on affair.

Thanks for the information Mooseman. We went with the used seat on Ebay and it has already been shipped.

I would have done the same thing. Not a bad deal.

Back