• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Differences between Venture Lite and Multipurpose

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
So basically these two sleds are the same except for a few differences, so unless otherwise noted, everything else is the same.

Skis
The VL comes with a 6 inch wide trail ski, the MP comes with a 7 inch wide "VK style" ski.
2014+ MP's come with dual carbide Tuner skis, which are a little less than 6" wide.

Track
The VL comes with a 15 X 144 X 1.25" Ripsaw, the MP comes with a 16 X 144 X 1.25" Ripsaw

Rear suspension
The VL has steel 25mm gas cell shocks while the MP has 36mm high-pressure aluminum gas shocks
The Lite has rear suspension travel of 11.5 (292mm). The MP has 12.3" (312mm)
The MP has four extra wheels: 2 inners just behind the middle inners and two outers just in front of the rear idlers

Front suspension
Lite limits front travel to 6.5-inches, the MP has 8-plus inches
MP has 36mm High Pressure Gas shocks. VL has hydraulic gas cell.

Gearing
Venture Lite: 19T/45T Venture MP: 18T/45T

Appearance and accessories
Venture Lite has a small front bumper, MP has a full size wide bumper which includes a kind of float plate which extends to the engine skid plate.
MP comes with a hitch
Venture Lite (all years): standard passenger seat with hand warmers
Venture MP: 2007-2009: No passenger seat (optional). 2010+: Passenger seat became standard with handwarmers
Venture Lite has passenger foot rests, MP (all years) does not have them.
MP All years: no mirrors (standard on VL). They we added to the MP in 2014.

2013 was the last year for the Venture Lite whereas the MP was introduced to the US market that same year.

Edit on 2013-01-05: corrected rear suspension travel and added info on rear foot rests.
Edit on 2012-01-12: Added info on extra rear wheels
Edit on 2015-02-15: Added info about the Tuner skis, mirrors on MP and VL end of model

Last edited:

After swapping my MP skid for a VL's, I noticed that the VL skid has less wheels. Strange how the VL has so much less than the MP and only $100 difference (2013).

Attachments

• MP skid wheels.jpg
    MP skid wheels.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,154
What I'm really curious about is the power characteristics of the Multipurpose. I'm thinking about getting a utility/touring sled, but I don't know if I could live with the 80hp twin rather than the triple.

And of course, seeing as the Venture MP weighs in at 600lps, is there any real advantage over a full-sized Venture?

Power is more than plenty with this thing. I have towed many sleds with it, once the dead sled's parking brake was on (by mistake) and I didn't even notice it until I remembered several Km later. It didn't even break a sweat. One time, I towed my son's dead GTX with one rider on it, myself (300Lbs) and my son (175lbs) on the MP, no problem. It is geared a bit lower than the VL but still can haul my carcass to 120km/h.

I am not familiar with the other RS Ventures but I believe the TF would be the one you were thinking of as a utility/touring sled. Looking at its specs, this would be my choice if I were to go that route but I couldn't find the weight on Yamaha's site. Maybe ask in the RS section about it.

Here's a nice review of the MP:
http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers ... -1597.html

And one of the TF:
http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers ... -1614.html

Yes I agree on the pulling power - I'm quite pleased with the VL. I didn't intend to use it for hauling firewood first when I got it but a problem with my Polaris forced me to and once I got used to it there was no turning back. It starts off very well under load and once moving it is effortless.

This comparison quickly answered a lot of the questions I've been searching the web for.

It could be a sticky for those newbies like myself.

I do believe it was added to the FAQ. Glad it was of some use to you.

Mooseman said:
Rear suspension
The VL has 25mm gas cell shocks while the MP has 36mm high-pressure gas shocks
The Lite has rear suspension travel of 11.5 (292mm). The MP has 12.3" (312mm)
The MP has four extra wheels: 2 inners just behind the middle inners and two outers just in front of the rear idlers

Front suspension
Lite limits front travel to 6.5-inches, the MP has 8-plus inches

So to get the increased travel on the VL is it as simple as changing the shocks? A arms the same? Seems to easy.

Easy, yes. Cheap? No. Used parts are nearly impossible to find. I had to replace my entire skid and I had to settle with a VL's. Any real difference? I couldn't tell except for the stiffer springs.

I Guess so..., I just looked up the price of shocks, and they run more than $300 each. Ouch

For the front, I put in some Phazer FX adjustable shocks. Made a nice difference and could adjust them to my liking. Used Phazer parts are easier to come by.

So I see this is an old thread but.... ;-)

I am shopping for parts to upgrade my VL front bumper frame/guard to the MP version. Looking at the parts diagrams on the 2011 vs the 2013 I see there is an extra part under the 2013-2018 called Protector 6?
Yamaha part # 8GR-77556-00-00

Exactly what is this? Do I want one?
Thanks!

It's a kind of float plate. It goes along with the front protector 8GR-77555-00-00

Back