• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shock/suspension recommendations for 2012 xtx

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder STX-DX 2017
Apex XTX 2012
Looking for shock/suspension recommendations for a 2012 apex xtx. I find rear really stiff and front could use improvement as well. All stock. 100% groomed trails. Can I get it to ride like or similar to a Sidewinder with the QS3R shocks?

Star Suspension kit for rear
Go with zero preload on front or level A arms
With this set up ride is as very good especially the rear.

to get mine to ride how i wanted, i put the 09 nitro xtx springs with the hygear spring spacers with the yamaha 4 position blocks for the vipers on setting 4. fixed my stiff ride without doing the star and it works great for me.

Star Suspension kit for rear
Go with zero preload on front or level A arms
With this set up ride is as very good especially the rear.

What he said.

Looking for shock/suspension recommendations for a 2012 apex xtx. I find rear really stiff and front could use improvement as well. All stock. 100% groomed trails. Can I get it to ride like or similar to a Sidewinder with the QS3R shocks?
Star suspension upgrade, Nytro torsion springs, Hygear spacers, and set all settings on soft. I only weigh 150 lbs, so needed it soft to get rid of the lumber wagon ride. Groomed trail riding it rides awesome and a ski lifting monster.

Last edited:
I am really wanting to try the Team FAST air shocks on the front skis. They are super cheap at $700/pair and look to ride incredible, just not a ton of info out there on them. Not sure why they are not taking off more..

I am really wanting to try the Team FAST air shocks on the front skis. They are super cheap at $700/pair and look to ride incredible, just not a ton of info out there on them. Not sure why they are not taking off more..
Viper Dave has them on front of his XTX along with an M20 airwave on rear along with an on board compressor.

to get mine to ride how i wanted, i put the 09 nitro xtx springs with the hygear spring spacers with the yamaha 4 position blocks for the vipers on setting 4. fixed my stiff ride without doing the star and it works great for me.

Can you educate me on the spring spacers and what they do?

I too have put the '09 1200nm Nytro XTX torsion springs on both my Apex XTX'S and that alone made a HUGE improvement.

I too have put the '09 1200nm Nytro XTX torsion springs on both my Apex XTX'S and that alone made a HUGE improvement.
The OEM are thin and allows spring to not sit correctly, the Hygear are nice thick beefier spacers and allows the springs to hold the coils straighter.
Do you have the Star kit? Uncouples the skid and rides great, also will lift the skis on the throttle.

Last edited:

like 03 RX1-ER-LE said about taking up the space. keeps the springs from twisting and wearing the rail blocks funny.

i got mine to transfer just fine without the star kit when it has traction as i do not use studs.

The OEM are thin and allows spring to not sit correctly, the Hygear are nice thick beefier spacers and allows the springs to hold the coils straighter.
Do you have the Star kit? Uncouples the skid and rides great, also will lift the skis on the throttle.

No, I do not have the star kit, and honestly I don't want it for the very reason of uncoupling. I had an FX Nytro and hated the POS for that very reason, any throttle input it wanted to lift the skis from being uncoupled. Kinda tough to steer with no ski contact.

I want my machine glued to the trail as best as possible. I'm content with how they both ride with the lighter torsions. Just want to know if I'm missing out on something with the spring spacers.

Has any one tried the Hygear Suspension- Dual pressure system for the Fox Float shocks?? Would like to no how much difference they make. Looks like you can get them for front Fox 289.99 and for the rear shock. Allows one to dial in compression and rebound with a larger smooth zone.

Back