• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shock/suspension recommendations for 2012 xtx

I have an Apex XTX with a Star and it is an improvement over stock. But I have jealously ridden a few test miles and many miles following with 4 APEX M20s and they are SO SMOOTH only downside is minimal wt shift.
One memory sticks of trying to keep up on a completely whooped out, I believe trail # 13 of the UP, when my Starr Apex XTX was beating me up big time,( shocks set up by Hygear) mirrors shaking loose etc for miles. We then stop for Supper and I complain about the trail the 4 APEX XTX M20 air guys look at each other, laugh and give me crap about complaining. They said it was fun to watch me struggle, getting beat up by the bumps.....they all said ”thats why I got the M20 so these rides home after a busy UP weekend would be smooth.

It was impressive enough I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a Team Fast King Air for my Procross / Viper :)

I just feel like these 4strokes will last for years so as I get older I might as well enjoy the ride

I put the hygear pro twisted spring kit on my center shock on my 11 xtx and it worked well, made it much better in the chop, improved on the harsness considerably, I now have that spring on my sidewinder and is working well on that also

I am really wanting to try the Team FAST air shocks on the front skis. They are super cheap at $700/pair and look to ride incredible, just not a ton of info out there on them. Not sure why they are not taking off more..
I put them on my Skis, and what a difference maker on how it handles.

I have an Apex XTX with a Star and it is an improvement over stock. But I have jealously ridden a few test miles and many miles following with 4 APEX M20s and they are SO SMOOTH only downside is minimal wt shift.
One memory sticks of trying to keep up on a completely whooped out, I believe trail # 13 of the UP, when my Starr Apex XTX was beating me up big time,( shocks set up by Hygear) mirrors shaking loose etc for miles. We then stop for Supper and I complain about the trail the 4 APEX XTX M20 air guys look at each other, laugh and give me crap about complaining. They said it was fun to watch me struggle, getting beat up by the bumps.....they all said ”thats why I got the M20 so these rides home after a busy UP weekend would be smooth.

It was impressive enough I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a Team Fast King Air for my Procross / Viper :)

I just feel like these 4strokes will last for years so as I get older I might as well enjoy the ride
I'm contemplating putting king air on my xf but I've heard good things about star as well.
Can you rate how much difference was air wave vs star?

There is Night and Day difference in my buddies Apex XTX with M20 air wave and my Apex XTX Star. Star has much better wt shift BUT ride is only slightly better than stock compared to M20 Airwaves. M20 has no wt shift but is PLUSH way smoother in stutters.
So on perfectly smooth trails I liked my Stars handling. Ie wt shift but any bumps or stutters M20 was way smoother.

My KIng air is in my VIper so cant directly say what it will be like on a Apex XTX but king air has some wt shift, not as much as Star and is smoother than stock by a fair amount on the VIPER chassis. Hope this helps.

Call team fast they will let you know pros and cons on the APEX. I have found them very helpful.

Last edited:
There is Night and Day difference in my buddies Apex XTX with M20 air wave and my Apex XTX Star. Star has much better wt shift BUT ride is only slightly better than stock compared to M20 Airwaves. M20 has no wt shift but is PLUSH way smoother in stutters.
So on perfectly smooth trails I liked my Stars handling. Ie wt shift but any bumps or stutters M20 was way smoother.

My KIng air is in my VIper so cant directly say what it will be like on a Apex XTX but king air has some wt shift, not as much as Star and is smoother than stock by a fair amount on the VIPER chassis. Hope this helps.

Call team fast they will let you know pros and cons on the APEX. I have found them very helpful.
Appreciate the helpful insight.
I've talked to Brian and have an M10 on an Rx1 but different era sled and suspension.
I believe I hear what you're saying. If I'm mainly trail riding and want best ride, the King Air is the way to go inspite of price difference.
Sounds like the Star is a great option for those on a budget and or don't want to install complete skid.

Back