• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Short-lived Stator

twyztid

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE - TD Power Trail, CAI, 3" Super Quiet
2012 RS Vector
2006 Apex GT
I replaced the stator in an 05 Vector last March with one from RMStator. I had read good reviews but I am second guessing that now. Because of the crappy winter, the sled has been ridden probably less than 40 miles since then and the replacement stator failed. What is interesting to me is how melted/burnt the 3 white wires are that were under the wire protection sleeve. Have you guys seen this before? Just a bad stator from RMStator?

It has been sent back to them for warranty but I am putting an OEM stator back in this sled. Regulator/Rectifier checks out fine.

uploadfromtaptalk1456848779812.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1456848803460.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1456848811464.jpg

I'm by no means an expert on this....but I think I read on this site that sticky starter solenoid a can cause stator to burn up pretty quick. Might be worth looking into.....from my reading staters aren't chep....and a fair job to tackle.

Again, you can't take my word on this as gospel...but im sure I read it here. I seem to think Cannondale was involved on the thread conversation. Might be worth searching forum for it...might save you some future grief.

And neither am I but here's my .02 anyways. It's hot inside that engine cover! Too darn hot for electrical components or more specifically the insulation on the coil windings. Notice how one side of the unit is fairly burnt and the other is OK? That's a clue. All the coils share the electrical load equally so it's not possible for the coils on 1 side to suffer more than the coils on the other side due to excessive current draw.

Thanks. It is my boss' sled and he decided to go the cheap route with the stator from RMStator last year. It is getting a new OEM stator put back in it. I never want to do a stator job on one of these again... and I am not even pulling the motor. Pain in the #*$&@!

I just had never seen one melt the wires so bad on the outside. Lucky it didn't start a fire.

I've got a good used yamaha one with only 300 miles on it if you need one.

Thanks, but I already have the new OEM one.

i replaced mine last year with RMSTATOR and got a wopping 300 miles out of it, OEM stator lasted 8k, returned it and had travis ship me a used OEM and running fine for 2k since.

The pick up on aftermarket needs to be reversed where it plugs into plug have same issue just figured out

I got 1000 miles out of my RMstator. OEM is much better.

Greetings!
What is the best check to determine of Stator is gone? I put in new battery this year , and Got one Ride out of it , and then it would not turn over ...
I used Jumper , got it started ran for a while, it cut out , then would not turn over ... Sorry never dealt with this before... its a 2005 Vector only has about 3k miles on it ... Ran great last year put about 400 miles on Sled .. also getting some backfiring now as well, Wondering if it could be related as I know Sled wont run well if battery is low ... Thoughts ?

Also, should mention Stator has never been replaced before since I owned Sled(Orginal Owner)

Thanks

Charlie

best test is to check on the boost leads and see if it is charging at 2000 rpm. you should see over 13.5v if it is charging. make sure you check the wiring at the voltage regulator in the nose of the sled as they have been known to corrode and loose contact.

best test is to check on the boost leads and see if it is charging at 2000 rpm. you should see over 13.5v if it is charging. make sure you check the wiring at the voltage regulator in the nose of the sled as they have been known to corrode and loose contact.
Greetings!
What is the best check to determine of Stator is gone? I put in new battery this year , and Got one Ride out of it , and then it would not turn over ...
I used Jumper , got it started ran for a while, it cut out , then would not turn over ... Sorry never dealt with this before... its a 2005 Vector only has about 3k miles on it ... Ran great last year put about 400 miles on Sled .. also getting some backfiring now as well, Wondering if it could be related as I know Sled wont run well if battery is low ... Thoughts ?

Also, should mention Stator has never been replaced before since I owned Sled(Orginal Owner)

Thanks

Charlie

I had an 06 Vector GT and it started to backfire. Was definitely the stator.

Back