• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Short Track vs Long Track

Snorover

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Viper
Looking at trading in my apex for an ApexLTX. Anything different that I should know??? Thats beside the obvious.

I have found the 136 to be a handful in the twisties to the point that it really shows its weight, other than that its a great ride!

Out of the crate the 136 version is said to be faster. Better hookup and lower gearing. I know alot of the short track owners gear them the same as the 136 and have changed tracks or nailed the heck out of the 121 incher to get the thing to hook. The 136'rs bridge the bumps better too.

I think you need to take a close look at how/where you ride and go from there. A 136" in tight technical conditions can make a sled feel like it's really heavy. A 121" in the powder can do the same. In between, they both work pretty darn good.

love my 136, just don't expect a huge improvement in deep snow.
studded the centre only & use snowtrackers on the front, handles fine in the tight corners, i feel very little difference from an apex in the tight corners. hooks up great & bridges the studder bumps. takes a while to dial it in for the big ruts but it camn be done & handles great.

I absolutley love the 136, I am 6 foot 2 and weigh around 260 fully dressed and I have yet to bottom out the mono. Now I only ride groomed trails but by the end of the day on saturday, they are pretty beat to hell and this thing just gobble's them right up. I am on a 07 Attak and love the hookup on the lake too, without studs of course. I can't imagine how good it would be if I had studs.................... ;)!

I've owned both short tracks (121") and long tracks (144") sleds and find the 136" track to be a really nice balance between the two. For the type of riding I do, mostly on trail, some off, I wouldn't rule out a short track again, but probably would not get a 144" tracka again.

The short track corners tighter and has a smaller turning radius. The long track bridges stutter bumps really well and is extremely stable at high speed without the squishy fish-tail feeling, though is noticably tougher to turn tightly.

The 136" takes a little of the best of both, and though it may be slightly harder to turn in tight cornering, overall makes for a really nice handling, stable ride.

In the end, it probably matters more in what conditions the sled with have to perform and the ride & handling preferences of the rider. Younger, lighter riders will probably prefer the short tracks; taller heavier riders (like me) may lean towards the 136".

i used to ride just shortys but streched my viper to 136 and haven't looked back. so i bought an attak, it is not the deep snow, off trail sled it is supposed to be but other than that i think they're great and they do seem to have longer legs than apexs. you'll love it as soon as you ride it :4STroke:

go for the 136"!! i thiunk its crap when people say it seems heavier in the corners..it rox, if the conditions arent too icy, the #*$&@ end just slides right into the corner and, bam, nail the throttle and you're off, you cant do that with a shorty, especially if its picked, just my thought

Put an XTX skid in it with the tip up rails, you'll have the best of both worlds! I did the swap on mine, and will probably never sell the sled!

I have owned my share of Yammi 4-strokes - 06 ER, 06 GT, 2-07 RTXs and a 06 Attak, truth be told they are all heavy. They are all great sleds, weight is their one downfall but I have gotten used to it and have adjusted my riding stye to minimize the heavy front end. The Attak is what I ride, hands down it's the most stable and smoothest.

Give 'em time.. I'm sure there will be something.

Back