• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

should i trade my apex gt for a nytro

apexgt4life

Expert
want some opinion. My 06 apex gave me a beeting last year on some of the trails in the tug hill area. granted the thing ripps but i am very lucky if i ever find groomed trails, mogul city were i ride. I did send the shock in to pioneer and got revalved and bigger spring, im hoping this will make my ride more enjoyable. Had my eye on the new nytro and it looks like it should handlke the moguls and not sacrifise much speed seing as though it is only 20 horse less and a lot lighter i heard the nytro keeps right up, what u guys think. I just dont want to get out thier this season and get tossed arounnd, hoping new shock setup helps out. probably going to get killed on a trade in so hope u guys have good opinion.

I think that going to less HP sled might be the wrong move. I did it once and hated it. All I did was try to find ways to make the slower sled faster. It might be a better move to work on getting your current sleds suspension working for you or possibly an after market skid. Just my $.02.

Here's what I would suggest:

Give your Apex a fair chance with your new shock and spring set up. Pioneer does a great job if you told them what you were looking for. I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results of you suspension mod.

Go to as many of the Yamaha demo opportunities in your area and try out the Nytro's to compare the ride to your Apex.

If you've got to have the Nytro after that, you might want to wait until later this winter (usually in March right before the new model intros) when Yamaha tradionally offers the best late season incentives instead of pulling the trigger right now and taking a bigger beating on your trade.

thanks guys, that what i was hoping to hear, i dont think the nytro is much less power if any though, i know its only 130 horse but the power to rate ratio is better on the nytro, dont get me wrong i luv my apex and want to keep it but some of my riding on those trails last here through the bumps really got to me, hope new mods make a differece like every one says.

The Nytro sounds like a truly awesome sled - but it is a first year production and a totally redesigned, lightweight sled.

I guarantee that there will be changes for the better for next season and if you jump now you might be stuck with issues no-one expects.

i'm waiting, i did the apex the first year and the phaser the first year they came out, my opinion you should wait it out test ride a few more nytro, let the bugs work out of them, cause 09' machine i think are going to blow us away

I will be adding a Nytro to the stable end of this season or next year, (not financially smart right now).

But I will be keeping my Apex GT unless its replacement blows me away. I do think the Nytro is the perfect sled for Tug Hill but I have no problems riding my Pioneer revalved GT though the bumps.

My .02

The Nytro sit about indentical to a REV. I have owned 2 800 REVS one X package. The only thing a REV does better than a Apex is huge bump handling. That was my X package REV with the shocks valved stiffer, by doing this the sled didn't handle as well in the studder bumps. So I would imagine with the seating postion, suspension travel and RTX shock package the Nytro will be a better BIG bump sled than the apex. When the bumps get that big I hit the seasonal rodes or roads.

I'm on the fence too. I have a GT, and will be on my second Pioneer revalve this winter. It was hugely improved last year, but still didn't have the bottoming resistance I wanted. I'm confident that it will be worlds better this year. I've learned in years past that often times by the time you get your sled dialed in, you get rid of it and start the process all over with a new sled. I'm not so sure how much lighter this Nytro actually is that its gonna be a huge improvement in the bumps. I love that 3 cylinder motor, but it's gonna come down to how much weigh it really lost, and how well the new skid is calibrated. Yamaha hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire lately with their stock skid calibrations, so we will see.

The specs I've seen on the Nitro rate it at about 138 hp which isn't too much less than the APEX. I love my APEX but agree that the Nitro is probably a better big bump (Tug Hill) type sled. The rider position on the Nitro will make a big difference. It's more like the REV which was my last sled and that was better in the bigger bumps than my APEX. I also tend to agree with the others though - give it a year...it's a first year sled and there will no doubt be some nice improvements next year.

yea going to keep just so sick of those rev owners praising how they just skip over the bumps, never rode one though so dont know, I just hate driving 3 hrs to tug hill to get pounded to sh*** but like u guys sed i did not calibrate my suspension at all last year plus my shock was blown, well c a lot riding on that pionner revalve, hopes it what they say it is.

Who says you can't have both?
I'm keeping my Apex GT but in the not too distant future, I'm sure there will be an FX Nytro in my garage!

you have to change your user id to Nytro4life, then. :tg:

I would give that sled a chance. Pull 'er out to a 136, and run them bumps. You'll be happy. Don't worry about what those other guys say, they get beat up also. No sled is perfect for all terrain.

Back