• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should Yamaha offer a bigger tank on SOME Nytros

Should Yamaha offer a VERSION of the Nytro with bigger gas tank

• Yes I would like a 10-12gal on some Nytros

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No I like it the way it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care 7 or 10gal I am buying the Nytro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
silversurfer said:
And as I and others have said 100 times before....if you do high-mile cruising, this might not be the sled for you. This is not a cruising sled, people. How many times does this have to be repeated? How many times are people going to say "well if it had 10 more miles"? That is a ridiculous argument. If you are basing it on that, you need a Vector, Apex, or to plan your trips better....Can we stop beating the dead horse now? It stinks.

Where's the value added for Yamaha for them to make an premium high performance, all around sled that appeals to a large market share - including aggressive high mileage riders - and then to loose a portion of that market because it doesn't have a large enough gas tank.

I don't understand why you're arguing so aggressively against this fairly large group of potential Yamaha buyers. The reason there are so many posts on this is there are lots of riders, like myself, who want a sled like this, but also very strongly want more fuel range. Fuel range has always been important to sledders and there is an extremely good chance that this sled won't be able to go the distance when running with the REV XP 600SDI - and that is the clear market competition Yamaha is up against. Power to weight is similar, as well as handling, bump performance and rider position. The REV XP 600SDI is also the sled that a number of my riding buddies are likely to be on next season and for me to consider the FX Nytro I have to consider fuel range and being the one to hold the group back.

To argue that this isn't the sled for us (what do you suggest - we should go buy REVs?) or we need to plan our trips better (sounds like lots of fun sitting around with the gang planning the next big ride constantly saying we have to change our plans to stay close to gas stations) is pointless. There are a lot of sledders looking for a sled like this and unless it has a similar fuel range to the competition, Yamaha will have trouble capturing all of the potential market.

The way I see it increasing the tank size, while not a trivial exercise, is a relatively easy improvement that will both make buyers happier and increase the market for this sled. IMO, this update alone would make this sled the clear winner when compared to the REV XP.

Threads like this where potential buyers express their wants are worthwhile because Yamaha does read them.

BTW, I expect the FX Nytro will have a similar fuel range to the Apex (fuel light on around 80-85 miles, out of gas by 110-120 miles) - but compared to the rest of the top selling market the Apex doesn't have enough fuel range either (and the market that is currently buying the competition expects better fuel range as the horsepower decreases).

After they put the 10 gallon tank on, lets have them bump the HP up to 160. Oh, and lets have them lengthen it to a 128". Now we have a sled that makes every one happy, and Yamaha can do away with the Apex and Apex LTX. 1 sled that does it all!! Maybe they can even lower the price to $8k now that they are only going to produce the 1 perfect sled for everyone.

:ORC

sojust got back for the show in Albany NY the new ntryo look greet but talk to the yammi rep and he said 17mpg for smooth average riders.but for guys like me who ride hard on and off the gas 13mpg.and their had though of 10 gal tank but did not want the sled over 600lb wet. so their kind #*$&@ the guy who like to ride hard and take long trips.

so yes their are going to get the oldfordge riders and tug hill but the guys who ride in Canada walk or buy something else

13mpg 96.2 and that wat most off us will get
[slow riders will get better 17]

13 mpg won't shock me at all! Thats right where I expect it to be, 13-14 mpg when you're not babying it! My wifes Rage can go from 20 mpg to 15 in one tank! Just change the rider and WA LA! Alot of people are in some dream world wanting & expecting this thing to be great on mileage! Its a high performance motor. You can not have both, hp & mpg!

I'm glad some of you won't have a problem getting gas every 75-100 miles, but my group can not make it at that! Also hope when you stretch it to near 100 miles that you babied it enough to make it!

Do you feel lucky? Did it warm up & the snow get mushy & harder to get mpg? Did you have everything planned out before you left in the morning & miss a turn & have to double back 5-10 miles?

Shitt happens & when it does, you don't only need Master Card, you need gas!!

I hope it works out for everyone, It just can not for us!

sd5500, It sounds like you heard about the 09 Apex!!

In business, 1 perfect sled would be very profitable!

BR

ReX said:
Where's the value added for Yamaha for them to make an premium high performance, all around sled that appeals to a large market share - including aggressive high mileage riders - and then to loose a portion of that market because it doesn't have a large enough gas tank.

As I and others have said several times now - if you add another 3-4 gallons of gas on the sled, then all you are getting is a souped up Vector, and not so high performance anymore. Furthermore, the vast majority of riders ride in areas where getting gas every 50 miles or so is not a problem. They stand to gain far more than they lose by making a 4-stroke sled that can compete (somewhat) with the RevXP or outdo most of todays performance sleds. In that, they have succeeded wildly. I imagine the sales #'s for this are going to be through the roof.

I don't understand why you're arguing so aggressively against this fairly large group of potential Yamaha buyers. The reason there are so many posts on this is there are lots of riders, like myself, who want a sled like this, but also very strongly want more fuel range. Fuel range has always been important to sledders and there is an extremely good chance that this sled won't be able to go the distance when running with the REV XP 600SDI - and that is the clear market competition Yamaha is up against. Power to weight is similar, as well as handling, bump performance and rider position. The REV XP 600SDI is also the sled that a number of my riding buddies are likely to be on next season and for me to consider the FX Nytro I have to consider fuel range and being the one to hold the group back.

I have made my stance on this very clear. Please thoroughly read the thread before you make it look like I have something against a larger tank on this. I have repeatedly said that I hope you guys get what you are looking for. I would like more range too!!! But the arguments here are silly, and I do not want people to think "well, forget it!" without considering ALL of the facts. This "10 miles makes all the difference in the world" argument is flawed, period. As I have also said - if you do super-high miles or live in that remote of an area, then this may not be a sled for you. I have never ridden in Ontario - and if an Apex is holding the group back, as you have said, then why are you trying to put a bigger tank on the Nytro for, anyway? Even another 4 gallons wouldn't matter(and it would make this sled a dog). If the only sled that is going to convenience your buddies or make it between stops is a Rev, then so be it.

To argue that this isn't the sled for us (what do you suggest - we should go buy REVs?) or we need to plan our trips better (sounds like lots of fun sitting around with the gang planning the next big ride constantly saying we have to change our plans to stay close to gas stations) is pointless. There are a lot of sledders looking for a sled like this and unless it has a similar fuel range to the competition, Yamaha will have trouble capturing all of the potential market.

But what you people aren't understanding is this. With another 3 gallons, at 8 lbs a gallon, it is 15 lbs less than an Apex and the power-to-weight ratio goes bye-bye. Why not just buy an Apex? Let's face it - again, the size of the tank was intentional to keep weight down, because that sells sleds. I also fail to see how you keep saying "rev rev rev" without considering their service issues. I'll plan my stops or carry a small tank, thanks.

The way I see it increasing the tank size, while not a trivial exercise, is a relatively easy improvement that will both make buyers happier and increase the market for this sled. IMO, this update alone would make this sled the clear winner when compared to the REV XP.

Threads like this where potential buyers express their wants are worthwhile because Yamaha does read them.

It's more than "not trivial". It's a huge huge exercise in engineering. The Nytro is a fantastic sled, and barring what Yamaha does with the 2009 Apex, I will probably own one. But they still have a ways to go with weight reduction, and that is one reason they made the tank so small.

I am not, nor have I ever said that this thread was worthless, nor have I made fun of anyone, etc. I just think you guys are asking for something you aren't going to get, and some of the reasons why do not make sense.

BTW, I expect the FX Nytro will have a similar fuel range to the Apex (fuel light on around 80-85 miles, out of gas by 110-120 miles) - but compared to the rest of the top selling market the Apex doesn't have enough fuel range either (and the market that is currently buying the competition expects better fuel range as the horsepower decreases).

And by adding 30 lbs to the Nytro, you are killing the hp gains there, too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sojust got back for the show in Albany NY the new ntryo look greet but talk to the yammi rep and he said 17mpg for smooth average riders.but for guys like me who ride hard on and off the gas 13mpg.and their had though of 10 gal tank but did not want the sled over 600lb wet. so their kind **** the guy who like to ride hard and take long trips.

so yes their are going to get the oldfordge riders and tug hill but the guys who ride in Canada walk or buy something else

13mpg 96.2 and that wat most off us will get
[slow riders will get better 17]

Another rep, same answer.

I think saying that they are trying to screw people in Canada is ridiculous(other than the prices, lol). I'm asking here, because I don't know. Is it really that hard to get gas in Canada? Seriously? 80 miles is a longer way to go than you think. Say you do a 400 mile day, which is a ton, even for smooth trails. Is it that hard to take a break every hour or two and get gas? If the trails are that smooth and flat up there, why would you want a Nytro anyway!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13 mpg won't shock me at all! Thats right where I expect it to be, 13-14 mpg when you're not babying it! My wifes Rage can go from 20 mpg to 15 in one tank! Just change the rider and WA LA! Alot of people are in some dream world wanting & expecting this thing to be great on mileage! Its a high performance motor. You can not have both, hp & mpg!

I'm glad some of you won't have a problem getting gas every 75-100 miles, but my group can not make it at that! Also hope when you stretch it to near 100 miles that you babied it enough to make it!

Do you feel lucky? Did it warm up & the snow get mushy & harder to get mpg? Did you have everything planned out before you left in the morning & miss a turn & have to double back 5-10 miles?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again - if these trails are so smooth that you can go 100 miles at a pop without stopping, why do you even want this sled? I'm just asking.

I'd really like to hear more about the 2009 Apex (whatever they call it). If they could add 15 hp and drop 30 lbs, I'd be all over that....but oh well, guess I'll find out in 11 months. =(

COLDONE said:

sd5500, It sounds like you heard about the 09 Apex!!

In business, 1 perfect sled would be very profitable!

BR

If it doesn't work out for you then why are you bothering to post here anymore? Based on your information it's not the sled for you then I guess. OR....

Why not wait and see if they do change it or better yet wait to see if an aftermarket comes out with a tour buddy system. Or even wait to see what the real mileage is going to be for yourself.

You'll get over 15 mpg without "babying" it. I've trail ridden one in no way was it light use.

What is most disturbing about the fuel tank size is why they did it. You know damn well it was so that they could use the "Wet Weight" comparison in their ads and save 15 pounds in the process.

I do tend to agree with the don't buy the sled if you don't like it comments though. By '09 they will use this motor in the Vector as well with a larger tank to accomodate those of us craving greater range.

For the mountain riders it's an issue. There are NO gas stations where I ride. You could bring extra gas in your truck but you'd be so far in the back country you'd basically have to say goodbye to all your friends for the day as they continued on and you went down for gas.

So I indeed hope that Yamaha offers a 9gal or something once the marketing wars are over (some updated spec once the wet weight promo is done) and failing that I'll dump the exhaust into the tunnel, save about 10 lbs from that, and have space at the rear of the tunnel to mount a 3-5 gal jerry depending on how far we're going that day.

Works for me, but of course I'd prefer to have more capacity in the sled AND the ability to carry 5 more.

Either that or someone open a gas station somewhere in the ice fields / backcountry.... ;)! Or maybe I'll just carry a few skidoo belts in my backpack and trade em off throughout the day for the gas those guys are carrying ;)

All I have said all along is, this sled needs a bigger than for most people to make it without it being a big pain in the asss! The pictures will be everywhere next year of Nytros getting towed in by Doos or Cats or what ever that other brand is, because they are out of gas! It will give the other brand something to talk about I guess! The wet weight numbers is the only reason Yamaha did this I'm sure, & that sucks! We were sold out by Yamaha! The #s are more important than their customers!

Silversurfer, What difference does it make if its smooth or rough? Its a snowmobile! Snowmobiles go on trails!! The reason Apex people are looking at the Nytro is because its new for one & two the power to weight ratio should be good! Everybody wants a little lighter sled!

Yamahnator, This is a serious problem, that Yamaha sold us out for some #s to look good in some magazines!!!

[YAMAHA, Give the people what they want & you become #1 & make money! Don't try to tell people what they need!]

Wow, I still don't feel better!

:drink:

QC, I was told by Yamaha reps that the 130 will not make it to the Vector! The Vector is their price leader in that segment & the only way to keep it cheaper is to keep it cheaper! You are right about the gas tank issue!

In 09 the Apex moves to this or a similar chassis! Will everyone be OK with a 7 gal tank then? You'll still have the same range or very close!

BR

You're taking things WAY too far. Like QC said we ALL know why they did it. Because perception is reality and perception right now is that 20 lb's is a lot of weight. *Reality* is that you CANNOT feel 20 lb's on a sled that's 400-500 + to begin with. But that doesn't matter, because perception has become the reality and that reality sells sleds. It's the only reality that Doo has been able to market successfully and I'm afraid that Yamaha has gotten roped into it whether they like it or not. They're here to sell sleds at the end of the day.

I'm not disagreeing with you in many aspects. I'd take a larger tank, I'm in no way opposed to it, and it would be nice if they offered an option. But for many of us it simply is not going to be an issue. Like I've pointed out to you earlier it's not a big issue for me. I ride with Cats and Polaris's and Doo's. The Cats and Pol's don't have any more range that the Nytro has. And the Doo's while having exceptional gas mileage for a 2 stroke aren't the fuel sippers that they make them out to be, that is unless you're just putting along.

I'm not afraid of an extra 20 or even more pounds. Because I know that weight is an issue but it's not a HUGE issue. I'm more concerned with chassis and how it rides. But like I said if the fuel range is an issue with you, why not just wait till the aftermarkets develop a tour buddy. Shoot I'm sure some of the aftermarkets on this site are already eyeing this topic thinking of a potential market.

I've never said 20 lbs is a issue. I'd like to see the real weights be given & to hell with wet weights! Its what the machine weighs that matters!
I do like seeing the weight come down a little though!
20 lbs in gas is different than 20 lbs of alum. chassis though! If you don't want the 20 lbs in gas, just don't put it in!

We all will know the end of this story in Dec.!

Have a good day!

BR

I think you're misunderstanding. Please read the post again. I wasn't implying that you think 20 lb's is a lot of weight. The marketing war is saying that 20 lb's is a lot of weight.

As a side note though real weights ARE wet weights.

Yep, Its marketing for sure & we the customers are getting f@#k'd!

I see what you mean about the weight, but to me there is nothing you can do about all the fluids, they are a must. The true way to weigh them is totally dry, then you know what it weighs!

Whats next, rider weight? [MACHINE, FLUIDS & RIDER]

I think its going to be a long summer!

BR

after talking to the yammi rep at the Albany show i bought the REV XP 800R he said for guys like me the nytro would be a disappoint and that i should take a hard look at Yamaha in 09

Back