• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder exhaust vents

sidewinder17k

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder 162 mtx
Hello everyone! I am getting my sidewinder ready for the season. It’s getting a new tune. 270hp hurricane tune. I need to vent it. I am curious about if I should run prefilter on the exhaust side or not? I looked at 3 different companies vent kits and decided to combine a few ideas from each and build my own. I am not knocking anyone of those companies. I just didn’t want a big area with nothing behind it in case it get ripped. I am using aluminum and am drilling 1/2” holes in it like it’s perforated. I got prefilter from moflow vents. And he also told me which out fabric to use so my vents will be white to match my sled. I will post pictures later when I get some more work done on them.

Last edited:

Go for it. I'm of the opinion that there is way too much heat trapped in the Winders from all of the exhaust including the turbo.
I'd like to see what you come up with.

i ordered and put on large triangel FROG SKINZ to the rear of front shocks on both sided also cut out the front part of the step on side panel on the muffler side and put frog skin there as well, keeps clutchs and exhaust side cool.

I bought and installed a front set made especially for the Yamaha Sidewinder from Mo-Flow. Called Belly pan vents on their site!
Once marked on the belly pan, Instead of cutting out the entire spot, I just drilled some holes through the belly pan plastic and the clutch guard with a drill bit and finished off each hole with a Unibit for smooth side edges!

I just did the front of the belly pan whereas there is quite of bit of open flow to the back of the belly pan!
Should have done that way back in 2017 whereas these things do not have enough flow on either side!

I made two holes in the front behind the shocks and put frogzskin and on the back I used the Moflow vents

Attachments

• 20210815_165754(1).jpg
    20210815_165754(1).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 249
What I still wonder is on the Viper they had vents on front of clutch side. Then years later with latest iteration of the procross no vents with Sidewinder then later on the Viper. So what with the years they figured its not needed? Did the Suzuki engine had vent in front/sides?

For a while now ski-doo has a full enclose cowling around the clutches/belt. I think heat problems started only with the 850s they added an outside vent to this cowling and now their 900T has this vent too if not mistaken.

Attachments

• 20210304_185049~2.jpg
    20210304_185049~2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 211
I also have a few forward facing flow rites to help move more air through the engine bay. there is a huge amount of hot air pouring out of these vents even at 20 MPH.

Did you noticed much air coming out of the grid in front of handlebars when riding? Got the goggle bag to install, wondering if it hinders.

The grid by the handlebars really only vents the space at idle or when it’s stopped. While under operation the air really is pushed / forced around the side of the cowl by your knees.

I know this because keeping your phone in the pouch- one would think it would be toasty warm? - wrong- while riding the phone is stone cold.
Ms

Back