• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder or something different.

Sprint26

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX
Looking for some honest opinions. I am currently on a 2015 Viper xtx se and love it, but I am looking for more power. I ride mostly off trail in the ditches and in the deep snow in my area. My question is would a sidewinder xtx be a good choice? Or would a newer 2 stroke be a better fit. I haven’t ridden any sled other than a Yamaha 4stroke since 2007. Any insight would be appreciated.

I personally ONLY ride on trail.. If I was ONLY off trail that much I would buy a 2 smoke for sure.. Just being honest..
I ride mostly off trail in the ditches and in the deep snow in my area.

Thanks for the honesty. I love the power delivery of my sled, but the curiosity of a newer 2 stroke is killing me lol

Chalk up another vote for 2 stroke for banging ditches. XTX with 280hp sounds fun off trail until you get stuck.
Bingo! Agree.. Get a Sidewinder stuck in 4-5 feet in the UP and your in for some real fun.. I know of individuals that have completely buried 2 strokes in my riding area. They sat all night and had to be winched out with a battery operated winch and a few guys.. Even after rolling them over and all the tricks.. No way do i ever venture off trail.. I keep it on the hard pack..
200"-250" + in some area. Some years

You don't see a lot of youtubers in the US/Canada on 4-stroke MTX's.
It's way more popular here in Scandinavia. We don't get as much snow as you do, but on this side of the lake we would be happy to get stuck.
I think most would pick a 2-stroke over an XTX for off-trail. But personally I wouldn't pick one over a boosted MTX.

We have had an abnormal amount of snow in my area, (Grand forks, ND). Have had around 5ft or so fall this winter. I can throw my viper around in the deep stuff fairly easily, but I’m always wondering if there is something more flickable. Thanks for the reply’s fellas.

well for lighter flickability, you could always go venom mountain.

Looking for some honest opinions. I am currently on a 2015 Viper xtx se and love it, but I am looking for more power. I ride mostly off trail in the ditches and in the deep snow in my area. My question is would a sidewinder xtx be a good choice? Or would a newer 2 stroke be a better fit. I haven’t ridden any sled other than a Yamaha 4stroke since 2007. Any insight would be appreciated.
I would buy a Lynx 850 Rave SE or Xterrain with an 850. Awesome shocks and you can pound them pretty good and they don't bottom out. Really nice quality sled.

Last edited:
Assault all day. I have a sidewinder. I love it. And it’s perfect for what I do with trails and lakes. However yamaha has shot them selves in the foot and I’ve gotten the mrs a vr1 and I’ll be next, along with my father who’s been on nothing but Yamaha since 72. We love the 4 strokes we don’t mind the chassis but we need some improvement beyond price improvements for their benefit.

I turned my 2014 ZR9 with a 129" track into a Cross Country sled some years ago and love it in the rough stuff. I think everyone has different preferences based on how they feel the need for power verses the weight of the sled. The weight never bothered me. Good shocks/springs, beefed up suspension shafts and bigger sway bar makes the cat chassis work pretty well. The old Suzuki "anvil" motor has a ton of low end grunt especially when tuned. I run a 1.25 fully clipped rip saw 2 on it, lots of studs and is a fun sled. I prefer my EPS Tcat for the groomed trails and lakes but would prefer my trusty 2014 for running fast in bad terrain. However, the older I get, the less time I want to spend going fast in bad terrain. LOL

Back