• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder SRX service parts

A little slop is fine. They will not be tight. It's not an issue with the secondary rollers, but on the primary rollers you want to pull them off and make sure the bushings are not oblong.

I don't know the name of the law but there's one in the US that says a manufacturer cannot mandate the use of their oil only. If they insist on it then they have to supply the oil free. The only way a warranty can be refused is if a particular part,oil,fuel or whatever was proven to be the cause of a failure or issue.

Yep, Cat oil for the winder engine is Yamalube in the green i'm thinking, the topic of oil filters on the Yamaha site say's that Yamaha can't guarantee warranty on other brand filters, the other brand oil topic seems to be the same with Yamaha when your engine is under warranty, i'm sure Yamaha is aware of any laws pertaining to this subject, even though the filter and oil brand you chose other than Yamalube while under warranty may be of a better quality, but it will cause delay's if you have a engine failure of some sort for Yamaha to warrant a claim, our season is short enough, to me not using Yamalube products while under warranty is a no brainer.

As a factory Rep (not Yamaha), the first thing I ask for is service records. If you have it serviced at a dealer, that's easy. If you do it yourself, which there's nothing to say you can't, make sure you have some sort of documentation, such as a receipt for the filter and oil. I will go on to say, the presence of factory oil filters makes my life much easier.

Do you think Yamaha makes there own oil and filters. They buy it from someone else and put there name on it. How are they going to be able to tell what kind of oil you are useing. The filter obviously has there name on it. Unless you take it to a dealer and have it done and there is a record of it how do they know how many times you changed your oil. It's just a gemmic if the dealer wants to fix it they fix it if not your screwed plain and simple.

As a factory Rep (not Yamaha), the first thing I ask for is service records. If you have it serviced at a dealer, that's easy. If you do it yourself, which there's nothing to say you can't, make sure you have some sort of documentation, such as a receipt for the filter and oil. I will go on to say, the presence of factory oil filters makes my life much easier.

I'll also add, my snowmobiles have Yamaha filters and oil in them, my Kawasaki Jetski has Kawasaki filter and oil, and my Seadoo has Seadoo filter and oil.
On the other hand, my Harley has Amsoil in every hole and K&N filters :-o

How about we put this topic to rest before it gets out of hand. We all know manufacturers don't refine their own oils,make their own filters,blend their own cleaning products etc. It boils down to what your relationship is like with the local dealer and theirs with the local rep. In the end we have the choice to buy the OEM products or use an equivalent from another supplier and accept the responsibility it may cause issues with warranty claims. Who's to say Shell or Mobile or Amsoil isn't making most of the oems oils? It could be Wix making the filters for the majority for all we know. If you trust a product then use it,simple as that.

Do you think Yamaha makes there own oil and filters. They buy it from someone else and put there name on it. How are they going to be able to tell what kind of oil you are useing. The filter obviously has there name on it. Unless you take it to a dealer and have it done and there is a record of it how do they know how many times you changed your oil. It's just a gemmic if the dealer wants to fix it they fix it if not your screwed plain and simple.
This is correct, but Yamaha approves the maker of Yamalube products for their engines that's the difference.

To the OP..... I think your question about aftermarket replacements to the OEM parts was a good one. I think it would have ended up being somewhat of a punch list of things that could or even should be replaced. Thumbs up!

However, and I mean this with no disrespect and this is not a personal attack. I gotta say I'm not quite sure I've ever seen a thread so badly Hijacked with the most irrelevant and useless information.
Now, if you had originally asked how can I service my sled to make it last 99,000 miles only to have it blow up shortly thereafter so I can submit an engine claim, then put this brand new engine in a chassis that's been completely replaced or repaired 100 times over!

See what I'm getting at here? Who gives a rats @SS about the 100,000 mile warranty! Most of us would have to live to be 150 years old to put that claim in!

So just put the products in your sled that just plain work and are proven. Isn't that why we are posting here in the first place! This site has a collection of experienced riders from all walks of life that go out and try new parts and set ups just so the less experienced owner can benefit from this knowledge right away. Take advantage of this information and enjoy your sled knowing it will perform to the fullest and you will be prepared to make that sled last..... well........ NOT 100,000 miles!

Last edited:
Yep, Cat oil for the winder engine is Yamalube in the green i'm thinking, the topic of oil filters on the Yamaha site say's that Yamaha can't guarantee warranty on other brand filters, the other brand oil topic seems to be the same with Yamaha when your engine is under warranty, i'm sure Yamaha is aware of any laws pertaining to this subject, even though the filter and oil brand you chose other than Yamalube while under warranty may be of a better quality, but it will cause delay's if you have a engine failure of some sort for Yamaha to warrant a claim, our season is short enough, to me not using Yamalube products while under warranty is a no brainer.
any time you mention law, plan on going to court. Lets face it, we spend/spent allot of money on these sleds and engine replacement is not cheap...engine oil is. I would not want to get into a fight with a big corporation because I didn't use the recommended oil and filter..Yamaha says to use their oil, I use their oil and I change that oil when they recommend if not allot sooner, well, I don't change the oil the dealer does...I don't need any hassles if the engine blows. Amsoil probably is a great oil, but do they guarantee your engine...I think not. Joe

To the OP..... I think your question about aftermarket replacements to the OEM parts was a good one. I think it would have ended up being somewhat of a punch list of things that could or even should be replaced. Thumbs up!

However, and I mean this with no disrespect and this is not a personal attack. I gotta say I'm not quite sure I've ever seen a thread so badly Hijacked with the most irrelevant and useless information.
Now, if you had originally asked how can I service my sled to make it last 99,000 miles only to have it blow up shortly thereafter so I can submit an engine claim, then put this brand new engine in a chassis that's been completely replaced or repaired 100 times over!

See what I'm getting at here? Who gives a rats @SS about the 100,000 mile warranty! Most of us would have to live to be 150 years old to put that claim in!

So just put the products in your sled that just plain work and are proven. Isn't that why we are posting here in the first place! This site has a collection of experienced riders from all walks of life that go out and try new parts and set ups just so the less experienced owner can benefit from this knowledge right away. Take advantage of this information and enjoy your sled knowing it will perform to the fullest and you will be prepared to make that sled last..... well........ NOT 100,000 miles!
Well said...

any time you mention law, plan on going to court. Lets face it, we spend/spent allot of money on these sleds and engine replacement is not cheap...engine oil is. I would not want to get into a fight with a big corporation because I didn't use the recommended oil and filter..Yamaha says to use their oil, I use their oil and I change that oil when they recommend if not allot sooner, well, I don't change the oil the dealer does...I don't need any hassles if the engine blows. Amsoil probably is a great oil, but do they guarantee your engine...I think not. Joe
and on this note... You would have to have a real idiot dealer if he/she told Yamaha/Cat that you used a different oil...

I think 20 year /160000 km engine warranty clearly shows Yamaha's commitment to be a leader with their engines and lubricant products to their costumers, weather or not you ever reach that warranty claim, offering a engine warranty like that sets a high bench mark for other Manufacturers to try and follow.

Back