• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder upgrades

I have a dmc 21 tooth and a driveshaft saver from bop already on the way. I'm taking it to a shop so when they get in there they can put them in.Previous owner had it 2 years and never mentioned any belt problems. He did mention if the snow conditions weren't great it would heat up...owner before that said the same thing. Right before I bought it he added scratchers and he said that helped alot.
Besides rail mounted cable scratchers,I added ski mounted scratchers just behind the ski mounted attachment bolt.With both sets deployed ,in hard pack/icy conditions there is no worry.Keeps temperatures around 165 degrees.OTTP 15-6406 available on Amazon $65

If you open up the chaincase make sure to weld the screw heads holding the roller To the adjuster. The have a tendency of loosening off and tearing up the chaincase.

I have made a list of things for them to check and thats on it.. Theyre not a yamaha dealer ,,theyre cat but he said they know what theyre doing being basiclly the same chassis. I usually will own a sled for years before I sell it so I want all the quirks with these sleds looked at. Sold my 07 apex GT to buy this sled.9500.00. Still trying to decide about the turbo reflash. Part of me is saying just drive it but Id like the extra power. Just gotta spend the money. I put some semi aggressive snowtrackers on the tuners the other day. I loved them on my apex,,couldnt believe how much better it steered.
Thanks for the offer from Vermont,,,probably close to a 3hr drive one way.
Do I need to do anything to the secondary if I go 250hp powertrail stock muffler and Qay 70 primary weights?

Last edited:
I have made a list of things for them to check and thats on it.. Theyre not a yamaha dealer ,,theyre cat but he said they know what theyre doing being basiclly the same chassis. I usually will own a sled for years before I sell it so I want all the quirks with these sleds looked at. Sold my 07 apex GT to buy this sled.9500.00. Still trying to decide about the turbo reflash. Part of me is saying just drive it but Id like the extra power. Just gotta spend the money. I put some semi aggressive snowtrackers on the tuners the other day. I loved them on my apex,,couldnt believe how much better it steered.
Thanks for the offer from Vermont,,,probably close to a 3hr drive one way.
Do I need to do anything to the secondary if I go 250hp powertrail stock muffler and Qay 70 primary weights?
You will probably need a different secondary spring. I don't think you can wrap the stock one any tighter or it will bind.

Be sure to do a rollover valve delete, routing the breather hose down thru the right footwell and clean all the oil and crud out of the turbo hoses, air to air cooler and intake plenum.
While you have all this apart be sure to add the Mainway solutions lower steering bushings and a arm bushing kits. Really nice stuff.
Since you are this far in pull the throttle bodies off and shorten the spacers in the clamps for the boots between the throttle bodies and the head.
Be sure to check all hose clamps while this is apart. Then put intake track back together and steering.
Next be sure clutch offset is set at 58mm.
If offset is not achieved remove primary clutch and stub shaft from engine and press shaft back out and lock tite it. Reinstall and set offset.
While your working on the clutch side be sure to check the lower drive shaft bearing for spinning and wearing down the shaft if its good just add Barn of parts drive shaft saver.
Replace top gear bushing in chaincase.
Flash in you desired tune, intake, muffler and clutch kit and blow off valve.

I did the roll over delete following rocker dan video a little while ago. TD recommended if I want powertrail 250 SM to use qay 70 weights,heavy duty rollers on secondary if they have never been changed and a black/orange secondary spring. Didnt mention a primary spring. Whats up with shortening the spacers on clamps on throttle bodies?

I did the roll over delete following rocker dan video a little while ago. TD recommended if I want powertrail 250 SM to use qay 70 weights,heavy duty rollers on secondary if they have never been changed and a black/orange secondary spring. Didnt mention a primary spring. Whats up with shortening the spacers on clamps on throttle bodies?
Boost leaks on boots causing knock detection to go off.

Search up "boost leaks", "throttle body spacers", "clamp spacers", etc here on TY. There's enough threads for days/weeks of reading :)

Yep
70 Daltons
Dalton Black/Orange secondary
HD rollers

That's a good start for Powewrtrail

Or you can just drive it and get used to it first....im all for more power, but i feel it would benefit you more to get used to the sled first and add power when it starts to feel slow. The preventative maintenance is absolute in my books, as well as setting up the suspension for your weight/riding style. next year when you are ready for the 275hp tunes, Im a fan of the thunder racing clutch weights/springs and helix, and i would like to recommend that system over the typical dalton setups. My experience with it is that it engages extremely low and smooth, yet feels a bit like an apex when you get up in the mid-high revs. My sled is fairly different though and you would possibly see different results.

I ordered the stuff from turbo dynamics yesterday so it's in the works now. Got a code sd85 yesterday after I ran it. Oil pressure switch? I believe the guy I bought it off had the dealer already replace it. I saw online where the switch is 50.00 but one guy found the identical thing at napa for 10.00. The oil sensor is is like 200+ dollars,,anybody got a cheaper alternative for that one? Seems like most people change both when they have codes show up.

Back