• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder upgrades

scottt

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 apex gt 2017 sidewinder LTX LE 137"
I bought a 2017 sidewinder LTX LE 137". Its completely stock and I would like to spice it up a little. My local sled place doesnt do turbo reflashes anymore as of this summer. I just want to do the 250hp version with stock muffler. Looking for advice on what to do. Turbo dynamics has a reflash or a package with clutch weights,etc. I could do a reflash only or are the weights also a needed item? Also I will have to do the reflash my self either renting it I guess or send them the ECU? All new to me so Im not experienced in this stuff at all. My local sled place used to do the whole thing for you but sold out and new owners dont do it . Thanks

If you want a really good, plug and play flash I would personally go with the Hurricane 240 stock muffler flash.
These 240 flashes are really strong, run on pump gas and have proven to be trouble free. This power level doesn't seem to tax the rest of the sleds systems (fuel, driveline, intake, track ) as much as the higher power level tunes do.
There are many clutch set ups here but I would start with a set of Dalton DTA-1 weights, Dalton B-O secondary spring with the stock helix. You then could tweek and tune from there

X2 Hurricane, best customer service, great product.

X3. If you wanted to go cheaper you could just do the tune and change to the Ultimax XS825 belt and leave the clutching stock. That belt will drop RPM and you should be real close without changing anything else.

do you recommend QAY-70 dalton weights if I went TD powertrail 250hp? Stock muffler and intake. The weights arent that much more than a xs825 belt. Around 100.00 more. 690.00 for the powertrail flash and weights.

I keep forgetting that belts have gone up considerably.

When I put my tune in, an XS825 was $90. I'd get weights if the cost is that close.

not sure how close you are to the Vermont - New Hampshire border, but I have a Hurricane flasher and could help you out with the flash if you went that way.

OK here we go!
OCD on the opinion agenda.
I've owned this sled & owned both Hurricane & TurboDynamics tunes.
Both are good & have clutching set-ups or recommendations with them.

TurboDynamics:
ECOTRAIL= 220-230 hp
Very little clutching, just weights & rear spring
POWERTRAIL=240-250 hp
A bit more clutching

HURRICANE:
220 hp with little to no clutching
240 hp with weights & rear spring (this with Super Spool was MOST fun on trails)

NOW THE BIG QUESTION:
Is this a "Belt Blower"?
Cuz if it is already, you are about to make it worse
Since it's an 2017, this was first year with some issues
The "issues" are fixable with some basic maintenance procedures, but if you DON't address them you WILL be back here crying before season ends.
I know cuz I shed many-a-tears on my keyboard in 12,000 miles on that machine.

I think both TD & Hurricane can just tune your ECU & send back if you don't want to buy the hardware to program.
Both have Stock Muffler tunes.

IMO, 240-270-300SS tune with Performance muffler is the best bang for the buck from Hurricane. Its a little louder then stock at idle, sounds the same as stock over 6000RPM. I run 270 and its a blast. I feel any tune with the stock muffler seems to be flat until you really get up in the power band.

I bought a 2017 sidewinder LTX LE 137". Its completely stock and I would like to spice it up a little. My local sled place doesnt do turbo reflashes anymore as of this summer. I just want to do the 250hp version with stock muffler. Looking for advice on what to do. Turbo dynamics has a reflash or a package with clutch weights,etc. I could do a reflash only or are the weights also a needed item? Also I will have to do the reflash my self either renting it I guess or send them the ECU? All new to me so Im not experienced in this stuff at all. My local sled place used to do the whole thing for you but sold out and new owners dont do it . Thanks
You must address the loose fit bearing condition @ the disc brake on the lower driveshaft.The new concept bearing and collar assembly is the best $170 you will spend on your sled offered by Barn of parts.They also address some chain case issues with upgrades.This will be a helpful site ,and you can speak to Travis directly during buisness hours.Happy Trails

I have a dmc 21 tooth and a driveshaft saver from bop already on the way. I'm taking it to a shop so when they get in there they can put them in.Previous owner had it 2 years and never mentioned any belt problems. He did mention if the snow conditions weren't great it would heat up...owner before that said the same thing. Right before I bought it he added scratchers and he said that helped alot.

I keep forgetting that belts have gone up considerably.

When I put my tune in, an XS825 was $90. I'd get weights if the cost is that close.
big tyme, just purchased a xs last week best price i could find was 236$ cdn taxed n delivered

Back