• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

simons cpr turbo oiling system update.

Simons CPR

TY Advertiser
we have been seeing some oil getting past the compressor seal of this years turbo kits and have done some research to find out why, we have found that if your engine has a poor ring seal, that it will act as a restriction to the oil drain and cause a small amount of oil to get past the compressor seal and it will enter the engines intake system and cause the engine to blow allittle blue smoke. the small amount of oil doesn't cause any damage, but its just not right. we didn't see this on any of the turbo kits we made last year, and i don't think the engine should have to have perfect ring seal to keep the case pressure from restricting the oil return, so i went to work to find out why..... this is what i have found in recent testing with the turbos that "appeared" to have bad compressor seals. i suspected we were over oiling the ballbearing turbo, when i check the turbo drain output it was 42 oz of oil per minute, i thought this was too much and garrett confirmed this, garrett said that 18 oz of oil per minute would be plenty, so i did some more testing, if you remove the oil feed line going into the turbo it can be tapped with a 5mmx 0.80mm tap to accept a standard mikuni pilot jet. (start the tap and give it 8 full rounds to make sure the jett sits below the sealing surfaces) (also make sure all the metal chips are removed from oil line when tapping is finished) i tested a 110 mikuni pilot jet (approx .030" orrifice size) and found that would flow 22 oz of oil per minute. this is still more than enough, but nearly 50 percent less than we were using. until i have time to do more testing, this is what you should run. i suspect garrett may have recently changed the oil restictor size in the turbo because we didn't see any problems with last years testing, but, this update can be done on last years, or this years turbo kits because this new restrictor will be the primary restrictor in the oiling system. ;)! any questions? 1-414-698-6611 jeff

Should we use any lock tite to keep the jet from coming out. If it can happen it will to me. By the way, rode mine today for the first time, this animal is AWESOME.

all turbo shipped as of today 12-21-04 will have the mod done. no need to loctite, just screw in tight, nowhere for jet to go even if it were to loosen up. glad to hear your impressed with our turbo kit, we spent alot of time developing it to be the best one out there. jeff

I am sure glad that I, and our group went with Jeff. If any problems come up, no hiding, posts so that everybody can see. Class act on his part. Keep up the good work Jeff. ;)!

Just making sure that I have this right. I am not near my sled right now so just doing this from memory.
Does the oil inlet in the turbo get tapped? Or is it the oil line fitting?

Just did the update

Could not find a 110 today, so I took a 70 and drilled to .032, the only drill bit I had. Started the sled and no more blue smoke. SNOWING good, gone riding.....

Back