• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski-doo pilots

I've tried 3 different skis this year, Slydog trails, Skidoo Pilots 6.9s and C&A Outlaws.

My Slydogs wore through this year as they are a pretty thin ski to begin with. I'd guess they lasted about 7000km (had them on a Vector previously). They turn pretty easy in all conditions, however I found that you really have to push them to get them to bite the corners, and I don't always like having to ride on the edge to get them to work. If you choose Slydogs, opt for the Race version as they are thicker. The trail and powder versions are pretty flimsy. My storage cover wraps over the skis and after removing the cover, the skis would be pointing inwards and twisted from just the pressure of the cover.

The Pilot 6.9s turned with a little more effort and worked quite well on groomed hardpacked trails, but once the trail conditions got beat up, loose and/or fluffy, I found they pushed too much. In deep snow, they couldn't turn worth a damn and didn't float the sled well at all, surprising considering this is a "mountain" ski. I only managed a couple hundred kms on these skis, so to be fair, I didn't take the time to dial in the suspension to complement these skis. I don't think any suspension tweaks will get them to turn in powder though, so if you plan on riding in some powder, opt for a different ski. Perhaps with more adjustments these skis probably would handle quite well on the trails, considering all the great reviews here.

I then scored a great deal on a set of C&A Outlaws that I couldn't pass up. I had read a lot of reviews on the line of C&A skis and many people remarked on how tough these skis are to steer. True, they are a little bit tougher to turn (more so at slow speeds), but turn they do. These skis make you rail the corners, a lot quicker (and safer imo) than the Slydogs or Pilots. They are a point and shoot ski that tracks straight with no darting (apart from iced up ruts in the trails). In the powder, they lift the front of the sled up and turn great also. A couple of weeks ago while riding with a couple of friends, one remarked how my sled floated (nose up) in the powder versus my buddy with his Pilot 5.7s on his (lighter) Skidoo GSX, which was plowing through the powder.

Go with a pair of C&As, you won't go back.

billey100 said:
Goddo you selling those 5.7's?

Hey billey100,

If I do decide to sell them, I'll PM you. But at this point, I haven't gotten enough seat time to evaluate the 6.9s on the sled. Also, I may bolt up the 5.7s again for spring riding when flotation isn't an issue.

Long story short, it's doubtful...Sorry.

I have seen a few sets for sale on dootalk however.

Thanks Goddo, I have been keeping my out over there for sure. Problem is all the good take off sets got sold in the fall when everyone got their sleds. No big deal I will wait till something good comes along. Keep me in mind if you do though.

Kevin

i got a set of pilots i'd let go for 120 plus shipping i used them for around 200kms and prefer my stock skis with qualipiece carbides . there is a 1 inch nick out of the ski which doesnt effect the ski at all . contact me and ill work on sending some pics

I got the zx rubbers but they have a small opening. Did you guys cut them to fit the v shape spindle? Also does the taper go to the back (the shorter end)?

I remember I cut the little tab off the ski, easier than channeling out the rubber.

Regarding the ski rubber taper, try it out both ways and see how the ski sits on the ground, preferably the garage floor. You want the front of the runner's carbide just slightly off the ground, essentially meaning there is more rearward pressure on the back of the ski, but not excessively so.

You didn't cut the rubber, just force it on? i have the sled on the lift so i can just set it down on the ski and make it fit.

I am assuming it goes this way. Wondering how much to trim off or jam it on.

Attachments

• 100_1072.jpg
    100_1072.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 91
i got a set of pilots i will sell for cheap hated them on my nytro now there just taking up space . top bid takes them LOL
they do have a little nick on them but nothing that would effect anything . all black

Back