• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski Doo precision skis on an 09 XTX

sledhead213

Just wondering can u put Ski Doo precision skis on a 09 Nytro XTX because they are good skis, or is there something better, how are the skis that come stock??

the stock knives on the sled wont do, not sure if those skis will work but an upgrade wont be disappointing.

the precision skis are way too aggressive for me with the heavy front end /rider forward on the xtx,i went to the mountain skis from yamaha and put the hardox style easy steer on them,works great,way better floatation

Ski-Doo Pilot are much better than stock and no heavy steering. There is no more push in the corners. Some darting is still there, but not so bad that it bothers you. I also tried the Kimpex Arrow skis and they are very good, but don’t seem as good in the deeper snow.

170plus said:
the precision skis are way too aggressive for me with the heavy front end /rider forward on the xtx,i went to the mountain skis from yamaha and put the hardox style easy steer on them,works great,way better floatation

Ive got the original precisions (simmons) on and so far really like them..

I took my first ride tonight with some 2008 ski doo 5.9 pilots on my 2009 XTX and I am BLOWN AWAY. I can't believe that Yamaha sells this sled with such a crappy pair of skis on it...and such a useless windshield.
The sled darts all over the place....which I will certainly be able to tune out hopefully, but it corners MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the stock skis. I found a pair of nice pilots from a 2008 for $100 and it cost me another $20 from the local Ski Doo guy for the ZX chassis rubbers. I have been told that the ski doo pilots are too narrow, but I popped out the metal inserts on the skis and turned them around and they fit almost perfect. Used the stock yamaha bolts.

Anyone have any easy fixes for my darting problem? The sled does also seem to want to high side a bit in certain conditions. I am overall VERY happy with how it handles now.

soften the front springs to try to get the a arms closer to level....you will loose some ski pressure...you can loosen the skids front shock spring for more ski bite if you start to push...I also imagine a bit of tow out is in order

There is a Woody's Dooly for the Pilot ski, which should stop any darting. But yes, it is a whole new sled with those skis on it. I can't imagine how Yamaha can win over new customers at demo rides when riders get on these things and they dart all over the trail.

Thanx everybody for your input i will probably put aftermarket skis, most of my riding is trail riding and some powder and offtrail use, what would be a good all around ski?? And i gathering from the messages that the skis on the 09 nytro xtx suck??? I'm goin to buy this sled i just want to know what is a must to change or upgrade, overall i hear it s a kick #*$&@ sled!!!

I toed out my skis just a tad and it almost got rid of the darting problem. It still wants to highside when I turn really hard. I have to lean like crazy. I will try to tweak my suspension and I think I can get this thing to corner pretty good. It is better, but still not as good as it should be.

mrosenow said:
I toed out my skis just a tad and it almost got rid of the darting problem. It still wants to highside when I turn really hard. I have to lean like crazy. I will try to tweak my suspension and I think I can get this thing to corner pretty good. It is better, but still not as good as it should be.
Welcome you can join me in the corners pretty good but not as good as it should category. I have been playing around and almost have it dialed in. I have the doo 6.9 pilots using the ZX mounts and triple rates up front. The triple rates provided about 50% and the ski's 50% of the improvement IMHO.
I have the preload on the center shock at minimum, minimum weight transfer. and meduim preload on one side torsion spring and high on the other.
On my next trip I plan to shorten the limiter one hole and then play with compression, rebound and rear preload. We shall see if I can get this thing SRX like yet! As far as darting goes shim the back side of the rubber mounts to force the back of the ski down and the front up, that will help.

Back