• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

slydog ski report

Yes... front skis off floor and springs just touching adjustment rings.... this was considerably looser than stock for my machine....

i am running the stock ripsaw w/168 1.325 sig series studs....

no limiter adjustment and i did not play with the toe as mine seemed pretty good. I am toed out just very slightly about a half inch measured from tips and backs of skis.... i dont know if thats right but thats how i checked it....

I am heavy. 325lbs so i have the bb spring jacked to almost full preload (two notches from top on preload adjuster and on second circlip instead of third circlip to avoid binding) i have the transfer set 3/4 towards rear transfer. I also had the shock revalved on the compression stroke to give me less bottoming..... it worked i only hit twice last time out and they were soft bottoms which are ok with me.....

Conditions i rode in were average ... trails were probably a little on the mushy side so i am expecting a little better performance next time out....

Newberry/Munising. jan 24th thru 29th..... let it snow.....

Thanks for the additional info...all very helpful, but the fact that you're studded, plus our weight difference will likely throw several of these adjustments out the window. Next week I'll have lots of opportunities to ride and tweak if needed for my setup.

No problem with bottoming out the front end with your weight plus the soft setting, eh? Very interesting and something to consider.

All great info to have! Thanks again!

I'll chime in on this topic. I just returned from the U.P. and had a chance to really try out the powderhounds. I am...was (I'll explain in a bit) running 6" Tripple points and savers I am 200# without gear, and ride an 07 Attak GT. The trails we ran yesterday morning were hardpacked and set up in spots and loose in others. I was absolutly 100% pleased with the combination. Last time out though I was not. I had experienced some darting and hunting as well as some push in the corners. This was with the front springs set, (With the front end lifted off the floor) at the point at which the tension was just released, the transfer set midway and limiter strap at the factory setting.

The set up for this time out was even more preload removed from the front springs (About 1/2" of threads showing in the gap between the top of the springs and the adjusting rings with the sled lifted off the floor), transfer at 3/4 full, limiter straps sucked up 1 hole, and what I feel made the biggest difference was setting the alignment per Allen Ulmer's recommendation (1/8" toe in) This made for easy steering, no darting (Slight hunting) great hold in the turns (Slight push in the soft snow only) no ski lift and the most fun on the trails I have ever had!

I was riding with my son (On his renegade) and commented when we stopped, after about 30 miles riding, that this sled (Attak GT) is so nice that I can see myself keeping it for years to come. It was about a half hour later, (When He was on my sled) that on a plowed road at a speed of about 65 mph my Attak and a small doe came to a mutually fatal ending!!!

Except for a few bumps and bruises I am happy to say that my son is fine, but I fear the Attak will not be resurrected (At least not by my insurance company)

Happy Trails !!!

Glad to hear that your son is all right, but sorry to hear that the sled didn’t survive. My sled is set up very similar to how you had yours I'm glad to hear that it worked well seeing that we still have no snow here. Did you get any meat off of the dear or was it all lost?

Apsterbobed said:
Glad to hear that your son is all right, but sorry to hear that the sled didn’t survive. My sled is set up very similar to how you had yours I'm glad to hear that it worked well seeing that we still have no snow here. Did you get any meat off of the dear or was it all lost?

No... we left the deer behind for the wolves to enjoy.

Wow Soldier...that's really sucks, but very happy to hear no injuries. I'm sure this won't make you feel any better, but your setup may live on and I genuinely appreciate you sharing how you found the sweet spot...I will very much keep your notes in mind as I'm riding and tweaking mine. Leaving in just a couple short days for the UP myself. Will let the weekend traffic clear out and then start riding.

Hoping to go around the deer...

I am planning on being in Cable, Wi at the Castle 18th - 21st and am praying they get more than the 1 inch they have so far. I need toa djust my slydogs as well. I am 190 all loaded up and mine pushed in the corners in the loose stuff. On Lake Goegbec I was constantly straying in the turns. I have the 6" triples. Kicking myself now as I should have gone 8".

radta7 said:
I am planning on being in Cable, Wi at the Castle 18th - 21st and am praying they get more than the 1 inch they have so far. I need toa djust my slydogs as well. I am 190 all loaded up and mine pushed in the corners in the loose stuff. On Lake Goegbec I was constantly straying in the turns. I have the 6" triples. Kicking myself now as I should have gone 8".

Over New Years weekend I rode in the Minoqua area....warm temps and low snow.... I had some darting and some push. The new set up made a BIG difference. Keep in mind that I have installed a 13mm sway bar and never rode the sled with the stock bar in place. This last trip I experienced flat, point and shoot cornering, straight as an arrow runs from the best machine on the snow! Don't give up yet on the 6" triples I like mine. Try a couple different set ups and set your toe angle just the opposit from what is stated in the manual....(Ski tips slightly closer together than the rears not the other way around)

On a side note the engine in my now wrecked sled was revving at 11,100 rpms with about 225 miles on it. OMG was this thing fast for 150 horses!

monsterattak said:
where are you going?

We're not sure exactly but we're reading snow cover maps every day to make a final decision. Right now it looks like western UP....expecting we'll cover much of the Natl Forest area between Watersmeet, Gogebic, Mass City, Greenland, Twin Lakes, Rockland, Bruce Crossing, Marinesco, Wakefield, etc. I have family that lives up there giving reasonably good riding reports right now (specifically Twin Lakes/Mass City area) So this time of year with low snow I suspect we'll run mostly unplowed forest roads, powerlines, pipelines, ditches, and an occasional lake. Forecast looks good for lake effect over the next several days...so our destination may change a bit if that machine turns on like we hope.

Just got back from Jackman Maine, riding wasn’t bad it was better than I expected. Put on 130 miles. So far I love the skis and carbides, and the shock revalve was well worth doing! The trails were very icy but those bergstorms bit in unbelievably, I haven’t gotten a chance to see how the skis perform in snow the most the trails had was about an inch on top of ice. I had more ski lift than I wanted so I’m going to have to make some adjustments, any recommendations would be appreciated. I have the front end as low as I can get it, the limiter is pulled up one hole and the transfer is set about 7/8 on the max end. I think I'm going to back the transfer down one or two tick marks on the wrench scale.

Apsterbobed said:
Just got back from Jackman Maine, riding wasn’t bad it was better than I expected. Put on 130 miles. So far I love the skis and carbides, and the shock revalve was well worth doing! The trails were very icy but those bergstorms bit in unbelievably, I haven’t gotten a chance to see how the skis perform in snow the most the trails had was about an inch on top of ice. I had more ski lift than I wanted so I’m going to have to make some adjustments, any recommendations would be appreciated. I have the front end as low as I can get it, the limiter is pulled up one hole and the transfer is set about 7/8 on the max end. I think I'm going to back the transfer down one or two tick marks on the wrench scale.

Your set up is very close to mine and I had little to no inside lift...When I did experience it I was hitting it pretty hard and perhaps not leaning as I could have. Like you I have the 13mm bar however, I have no studs. Perhaps thats part of the difference as well. It sounds like the conditions you were in would lead to some pretty good traction with all the picks.

I was excited when you posted your setup earlier because it was so close to mine, and it did work about 100 times better than I had it last year. I didn’t get too much inside lift, that seemed to come from hitting it too hard or not leaning enough. I was getting just a general light front end. I like to slow down before the turn and power through and out of the corner and when I did this the front would lift up just enough to loose my grip on the trail. I’m thinking that I just have too much transfer. But the good news is that we are suppose to get some snow tomorrow so I might get to tinker around my house!

Back