• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slydog trail/powderhound or C&A

Apsterbobed

Extreme
im thinking about getting a set of slydog skis. my question is should i go with the trail ski or the powderhound? i do mostly aggressive trail riding but if i could getaway with a wider ski that would be great. im still on the fence about getting a set of c&a so if anyone has tried them and the slydogs could let me know anything? Im worried that the slydog isn’t going to be aggressive enough….its a lot of money to take a guess

Apsterbobed said:
im thinking about getting a set of slydog skis. my question is should i go with the trail ski or the powderhound? i do mostly aggressive trail riding but if i could getaway with a wider ski that would be great. im still on the fence about getting a set of c&a so if anyone has tried them and the slydogs could let me know anything? Im worried that the slydog isn’t going to be aggressive enough….its a lot of money to take a guess
If you can wait i will let you know how i like my new USI x2 shark fin skis,with power plates,and shaper bars,and they are 6" plus wide in the middle,should be real fun ride with these.

My advice to you is to start reading. I have spent many hours reading posts on just about evey ski. They all seem to have their give and takes. I personally just put on a set of USI PX301 skis. Much wider then stock. I have rode only wet soft conditions so far this year so I can not offer a true report.

I was i the same boat as you. Did a lot of reading and went with the Slydog trail, with ski savers and bergstrom triples. Just got them today, what a difference in look vs the stockers.

THINK SNOW

For what it's worth, the Slydog Powderhounds and the Trails are absolutely identical (keel profile and depth, etc) except for the extra 1/2 inch of wing width on each side for flotation...they're 7 inches instead of 6. On a hard pack trail Slydog told me they will both handle identical.

Therefore I could see no reason to consider their trail version (except maybe someone who has an obsolete narrow trailer or something). I figured why not get the Powderhound if they will handle the same...gives me 17% more surface area for flotation when I'm off. So that's what I bought. Haven't riden them yet, so I won't offer an opinion. FWIW, I have been told by many sources that the Slydog is a VERY aggressive ski. But how it compares to a C & A I have no idea.

But with almost zero exceptions, wider is better.

I think I have read every post on skis, been to every makers web page, and even talked to the guys I bought the sled from… I just wanted a few more opinions before I order something. I have been eyeing those powderhounds but I was worried that they wont be aggressive enough being so wide. On a side note I just got my shock back from Pioneer Performance that was a nice little surprise when I got home today. Gonna have to go slip that bad boy in today along with the 13mm bar, now just have to find that post on how to set the preload on that shock…

I'll throw in my two cents and say go with the Powder Hounds. I've got both versions of the Slydogs that I've experimented with on various 2 and 4 stroke Yamahas. On the heavier sleds such as the 4 strokes I've found that you will not lose any of the handling using the Powder Hounds over the Trail skis, and you will gain quite a bit of floation if you venture off trail with the Powder Hounds. I've used the Bergstrom triple points (6") carbides and they will give the skis a bit of a rocker bottom that will lighten up the steering which is a nice benefit also. I think that the Slydog ski is aggressive enough with the keel design they have to satisfy just about anyone without making the sled too hard to steer.

I have been leaning towards the powderhounds, I think that’s what im gonna go with. Anyone have any suggestions on who to buy them through?

I like my Slydog trails, better than my C & A razors or the simmons. I use the shim, skisavers and Bergstrom triple 6". This set up is perfect for my 03 136" on or off trail.

Indy, you're the first person I've heard who's shimmed their Slydogs. Everyone else who's installed them (with the Slydog provided rubber bumper) sees no need. But I am referring to Apex/Attak line so your 03 may be different. On my Attak the nose of the slydogs are already pointing slightly up...shimming would seem to put the tips up TOO high.

I'm curious how do your skis sit when you lift the front in the air? Level? Nose up? Nose down?

Did you ever ride the Slydogs without shims or did you install them right away?

Thanks! I also put Bergstrom triples and ski-savers on mine so I'm glad to hear you like that combo. I haven't ridden it yet.

craze1cars, I'm pretty sure he means he used the Ski Savers and just called them shims. Simple terminology screw up on who calls certain parts what, etc.

Got my powderhounds yesterday and couldn’t resist getting the cr10ek’s when I ordered them from ulmer racing! Sweet looking ski, cant wait to get them bolted on this weekend. Im hoping that because I went with the larger ski it will convince the snow gods to give us some good powder this year!

Apsterbobed said:
Got my powderhounds yesterday and couldn’t resist getting the cr10ek’s when I ordered them from ulmer racing! Sweet looking ski, cant wait to get them bolted on this weekend. Im hoping that because I went with the larger ski it will convince the snow gods to give us some good powder this year!

I did the same thing! :jump:

Back