• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

snow buildup in tunnel

koalakid

looking to buy new xtx i was told that snow build up inside tunel up to 50 or 60 lbs any info if this affects performance in deep snow Any other info good or bad would be helpful THANKS

At the begining of the year the ice build up in my XTX was extreme, at least 30lbs of ice after 150 miles of riding & not in deep snow. I had to use a hammer to pound the ice out after every ride although the worst was if you didn't get it all out from the front by the cogs & it came loose while riding the crushing sound as it was being forced through the cogs was as bad as I have heard on any sled I have owned. Now this being said as the year was coming to a close it did get a little better for what reason I am not sure. Could have been the warmer weather or the lack of snow here in Winnipeg not sure. I do think it has a little to do with cold weather but that is just my opinion. If I decide to switch sleds this year it will be becasue of this ice build up, it needs to be addressed by Yamaha & by the new Nytro I saw at the show it is not being addressed in 2010!

backstop said:
I do think it has a little to do with cold weather but that is just my opinion. If I decide to switch sleds this year it will be becasue of this ice build up, it needs to be addressed by Yamaha & by the new Nytro I saw at the show it is not being addressed in 2010!

Yes, I find that on my VL it is brutal in cold weather but now this time of year ice build-up is pretty well a non-issue. So, I'm thinking the cold weather has the most effect and like you said the lower snow conditions as well. I guess with the 2010 VL - that is the fourth year for that model - and if not modified by now it kind of proves that Yamaha is not taking this seriously. And, I think the model (VL) will be changed next year anyway, so then we can whistle away for any updates on this issue from Yamaha.

That, along with other issues, may be a reason why so many people around here are trying to sell virtually new VL/MP's at sacrifical prices. Hoping someone will an innovation for this problem.

ice in tunnel

I can see 50 pounds of ice being in the tunnel!!
it is due to several reason
1: the exhaust open to the tunnel OF COURSE!
2: the second being the heat exchanger heating the entire tunnel (this is a inherit problem with all sleds.

so you combine these two heat elements warming the entire tunnel and whala ice every were.

where I work we have been working with arctic cat to reduce there sno pros race sled weight by changing the heat exchangers from big alum extruded heat sinks to a round tube and blade cooler that does not heat the tunnel but just cools the engine! Arctic cat figures this cooler saves 50 to 100 pounds during the race and the racers say it is very noticeable.

on a nytro i would say close off some of the exhaust hole (because it still needs to be cooled ) should take care of a lot of the ice build up I am trying to see if i can get these guys to look at the nytro for the heatexchanger.

thanks Dave :Rockon:

i found an easy way to control it every time you stop to take a break or whatever kick the side of tunnel from front to back reverse it all comes out sucks but works

At the show in Winnipeg some people I met who had this problem removed the tunnel protectors and it helped a lot.
Just not keen myself as they look like they are part of the integrety support?

It's a pain in the #*$&@ to remove the protectors but it does help a lot. I wouls say half as much ice. Next time you start to ice up look where it all starts to hang from.

If your not studding the solution is to take them out.

CJZ

taking out tunnel protecters will help 100% if you dont stud that is the biggest problem studding reduces the build up a bit but i think take out the protecters and go with 1.5 track and your rocking best sled on the market

Tunnel closer kit

I bought the Schmidt Brothers tunnel closure kit and installed it in hopes this reduces the ice build up in the tunnel. It is a lil' pricey for what it is and if I had the dimensions I would have just cut it myself. It was a slight pain in the #*$&@ to get it apart and installed and back together, but now done and ready for the first snowfall.

Tunnel closer kit

I bought the Schmidt Brothers tunnel closure kit and installed it in hopes this reduces the ice build up in the tunnel. It is a lil' pricey for what it is and if I had the dimensions I would have just cut it myself. It was a slight pain in the #*$&@ to get it apart and installed and back together, but now done and ready for the first snowfall.

I haven't had anywhere near the ice buildup occur on my XTX as it did on my 2001 Viper - however I am also running a 1.75" lug track with the tunnel protectors removed which was set-up as such before it even hit the snow. . . .so I can't speak for it in the stock configuration. . . .

Why does Yamaha have this open tunnel anyways? What's the purpose of it?

Back