• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow in the engine compartment...

WOW!!! And I thought Yellowknife had problems with the snowingestion, but WOW... Yellowknife's dealer sealed up his frontend even further with silicone, since he had the same problems as you even after he had the "snow-kit" installed. Just read his topics for this winter (2007-2008).

It surely seems like Yamaha didn't really test the machines in your powdery, cold snow. It looks like the snow gets in everywhere! It must be a little frustrating to buy a new machine and have this kind of problems, and the old beaters never has such problems... I just hope your dealer will fix this once and for all for you, since you have to depend on the snowmobile to get you around half of the year.

Glad to hear your leg is on the mend GR ;)!

You're right, the "kit" may slow down the snow but it still gets into the engine compartment and makes a big frozen mess. You, me and anyone else who doesn't want a big wad of ice in their Phazer/VL sleds needs to seal up all the little gaps whether it's with silicone like Yellowknife had done or some other method.

The upgrade kit makes the holes a little smaller but they're still there.

GypsyRoots said:
Has anyone had troubles with this?
Like this?
This was after the dealer installed the Kit to keep the Snow out of the engine compartment...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=38254726

Let me know what you think! #$%&*

Snow buildup under the hood is a minor concern compared to loss of steering which I, and I know you have experienced.

I spoke with a VL owner who traveled the same 875 miles I did around the Gaspe in Feb. this year. Snow conditions were dry and cold, he had absolutely no problems with his steering, whereas I had nothing but trouble. I lost steering 16 times, went off trail as many times including 4 rollovers.

The only difference between the 2 sleds is I have the Yamaha OEM Skidplate and he does not. I know you have the same skidplate and it is the source of a lot of our trouble.

Snow is kicked into the open rear of the skidplate by the track and is then compacted and pushed forward by more snow, ice builds up with the freezing and thawing from engine heat, add compaction and eventually forms a block of ice around the sway bars. Add some more snow via the rubber boots that are supposed to keep snow away from the steering components, and voila you have the right conditions for frozen steering and a resultant loss of control.

You were right when you said the VL skidplate looks like it was for a Phazer and an afterthought for the Venture Lite.

Again no testing in real world conditions and worse still no admittance of a dangerous condition created by using Yamaha OEM parts.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, just posting some additional facts....

Lots of pics of ice buildup in Phazer General Forum, pg. 5 " Venture Lite Ice Boogers"

Back