• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow ingestion in engine compartment

Jigger

Lifetime Member
I've read all the threads I could find on this subject. I don't remember having so much snow in by engine area last year :o| . Taped and weather stripped every hole I could find. The only thing I could possibly see is snow is coming in where the hood and body panel meet near the shock mounts. I think I'll buy some extra hood straps and try that next. It was so bad the other day -35 C that I had to stop every 10-15 km to bang of the frost on my air filter because the engine was chocking itself. I put the nylons on all the vents and that seems to have slowed it down but snow is still coming in. On a side note I was looking over my carbs and I couldn’t find the carb heater valve that many talk about. Is this something that I have to install?

The 03's did not have the coolant valve you have to add it. Yours was running coolant through the carbs already.

I know what you mean. Mine was bogging horribly the other day too.

I added some thick weather stripping around the nose and I modified a bolt and JB welded it in place to stop the thin front metal piece from bowing in (bending) while plowing through powder.

I do think a couple more hood straps may help too.

A picture or two would explain it easier.

I also added a coolant valve several years ago and I found that running the valve cracked (about 15% open) helps keep the carbs clear.

Frosty

Attachments

• DSC00738.JPG
    DSC00738.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for the replies. Where does the carb valve go exactly? I think I'll try the JB wled bolt idea also. The piece of wood I have wedge in there moves around sometimes. Ordered a hood strap kit from a doo shop should be in next week I take pics once it's installed.

I am sick of the snow under my cab too. Tuck tape, weather stripping, nylons on my vents, and still there is major snow. The snow gets in there when I am not plowing through powder. I guess the bottom of the airbox is a huge vacuum and it just sucks every little bit of snow that gets in.

So has anybody come up with a way to keep the snow out? Nothing but troubles this year running in the powder. I went from K&N filters to the stock box and the nose cone is still packed full. Then the air box sucks it in till it chokes out.

There has to be a way to keep snow out other than riding in the summer :o|

I removed the plastic pieces near the top of the front shock and mounted them there. I didn't replace the plastic pieces as they were only holding on my a bolt on each side. To much timberjacking.

test.jpg

The last two winters I had the problem licked (even with ECP filters). This season something changed. What that was, was my temporary plastic bolt that was in place of my JB welded steel bolt had fallen out.

Now that the JB welded bolt is holding the front metal plate and not allowing it to buckle under the pressure of snow pushing against it, there is very little if any snow under my hood.

Try it.

Frosty

Thanks guys, I'll be giving both a try. I think I'll mount the straps back alittle so I can keep the wings. I'm also going to pull the whole nose off this summer and silicone anywhere I can see light thru.

Frosty...the K&N's I've given up all hope on those things for my snow conditons up here. Always frozen & choking the motor. Even with prefilters and prefilter on all vents. I've got the jets for stock box and will be doing that till I can get rid off under hood snow.
But this past weekend even my stock box was filled with snow!!!

I'm not sure how but, I had zero probelms last season with the filters.

This season I haven't ridden enough (it rained all the way to the tops of the mountains and then froze -concrete) to be able to say for sure.

Take care

Frosty

Well, I'm at a lose with this sled!!!
I was sick of the K&N filters freezing & causing issues so I went back to stock airbox. Nose cone fills with snow and still gets in & freezes the foam.

I head to the Mtns for 4 days and rejet to 130MJ, 2turns AS, needles #3.
Head up the hill sled wont run past 1/4 thorttle. Open airbox and 1 & 2 carb are frozen from the crankcase tube gases??? Remove crank tube and sled clears up but not good at high elevation.

Pull the carbs check all my jets are in the right holes? 2 turns on the AS. drop needles to #4 little better but still wont run above 1/4 -1/2 throttle. drop needles to #5 and finally sled is running.
What a pig of a sled to dial in!! Now I just dont know where to go with this thing?? drop mains again and put needles back up? Or just leave alone and hope it works again next time?? Man I want an EFI sled :Rockon:

Back