• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow Tech Long Term Test Sleds Nytro XTX

it is my understanding that yamaha did not participate in any media demo sled program this past winter..meaning no free sleds for the magazine's to beat on, yet the other three did as in the past.must be an economy thing? that might have something to do with it?

Funny thing........no parts were falling off? In 375 miles...WTF!!??

Are they saying that the other mfg's sleds had parts fall off in this short of time?

Well my opinion is somewhat biased. I rode the Prototype and was impressed. Didn't ride the demos when I had the opportunity. That being said, anybody that wants to follow me on my OLD HEAVY Attak can get in line. Seriously, EVERY sled needs setup. ALL engines need break in before realizing full performance. And YES, Yamaha is negligent in their shock program. BUT, 8500 on my XTC, 12,000 + on my Viper, 4600 on my Attak. Never walked home, even after crunching them LOL!. I IGNORE the negative, because I KNOW the weak points in my sleds. I IMPROVE, where I can, those weak points. ALL manufacturers have them. NOW, LET IT SNNNNOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

Dave :jump: :jump:

Really though, it was not that bad... What did they do to the shock calibration, since the proto's? That's what I want to know. They bitch about a being cold. Look at an MXZ -X. Now that is cold... An after market windshield will cure that and I bet Yamaha's is probbalby pretty good. These guys are splitting hairs here, IMO.

It's true in some reguard. Yamaha needs to fire the shock guy and go read the shock calibration book for dummies. It just seems stupid that I have to fix this on every sled so far and I bet this is why these guys keep giving Yamaha a bad rap.

They nailed all the reasons why I bought my XTX and pretty much all the reasons why I wondered if I made a mistake after 300 or so miles. Once I started playing with the shocks and added the spring spacers things got a lot better.Having said that I don't think it will ever rail like my ZR9 but time will tell...and oh yeah, it will still be running strong well after 10,000 miles and it will get great gas milage...I can live with that.

In my eyes, Snowtech was pointing out the weak points of the XTX. You cannot overlook the fact that few of the testers wanted to ride it as is (hence, the low mileage) and this is what Yamaha should concentrate on, setup out of the box.

I bought my Yammy more on the basis of engine reliability first, and outright performance second. I know there would be some tweaking needed to get the ride I wanted and I am happy with the way it rides now.

There are times where I thought that a Skidoo would be in my future, but their engine reliablity, and their prices, prevented me from doing so.

Each of the writers don't have to worry about a demo sled breaking down, nor do they treat the sleds as it were their own, thus longterm reliability isn't their primary concern.

They have their opinions, but I have mine, and that's what counts.

I don't think that's a bad review at all and would have to say those comments were in-line with lots of what I read here?

I think the Vector is about the only 4 stroke that gets good reviews from the "pros" by the way lol. I noticed every review of the Doo 1200 mentioning something about a "fatiguing" engine braking problem that was improved for 2010. 3,000 miles on my 1200 and I didn't realize it had an engine braking problem. lol. I truly expected to crack open this year's magazines and find them completely blown away by the 1200....like its owners were. That's not the case.

I don't think it's that they don't like 4 strokes or are getting more money from Doo. They just like the best 2 strokes better than the best 4 strokes. No biggie....they ain't buying sleds anyway.

Well said Alatalo. :Rockon:
I would be embarrassed to give a review with that few of miles on it when all the others had closer to 2,000 on.

I wouldn't even care if they didn't like it after giving it a fair shake and working on what they didn't like. I mean what did they ride it ? twice :drink: :drink: what a joke

I keep hearing people talk about heavy steering, what are they talking about? I have trouble keeping the ski's grounded so I can make corners :jump:

love my 09 xtx i have over six hundred miles on it as i bought it mid season. If i ran the wide open trails of up north it would require more wind protection but i dont so that wont be a problem. I love the ride and handleing. Wont trade the bullet proof yamaha for anything else and i can say that because i have had every brand in my trailer at one point.

Take the blinders off guys......Yamaha does make the most reliable sled on the snow but they are not the most fun to ride.......

So you work for a magazine and your job is to ride the sleds and get a feel for them, which one's are you gonna ride?? The fun one's..........

Bad mouthing a magazine because they like other brands better is crazy. Why is Doo the #1 selling brand?? It ain't the advertising......Go ride an XP and find out for yourself.......

Back