• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SnowPak Starter P/N 190745 from Kimpex for Phazer(all)

ViperMan

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper RTX
Hi Guys,
My technician suggests I replace my original starter, after 7200 miles and rebuild last year. It hung up (stuck brush) on him in the shop just last week and shows signs of having gotten hot, or at least it appears that way with the armature epoxy coating cracking and the wiring also showing signs. He is concerned the magnets may have incurred damage as well. For his piece of mind and to avoid an on the trail failure, he is not comfortable "rebuilding" mine. He is suggesting a SnowPak starter at half the price of OEM. However, ultimately the choice is mine.

Have any of you had experience with these aftermarket starters from Kimpex? Or do you know of any other manufacturer making starters for our Phazer's with a good reputation? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Do they actually "make" the starters or do they remanufacture them?I would probably trust a remanufactured one over a different brand than Yamaha uses.Personally I would just buy a used starter since other than the case of one sticking on while engine is running and the notorious loose bolts I havent ever seen failures.

As a follow-up, the Snowpak starter I purchased from Kimpex is identical (casting marks and insignia's and everything) to my OEM one which it replaced. Actually after thinking about it, it really doesn't surprise me that they are manufactured by the same company. The only difference my technician could distinguish is the considerable cost saving with the aftermarket over Yamaha.

Sounds like a good deal.Let us know if any issues and be sure other wasnt ruined by being stuck on.

For future reference, can you share the part number used? I may need one someday.
Thanks!!

The wonderful world of outsourcing....

For a company (in this case Yamaha) it is ridiculous for them to manufacture something like a starter in house.....

You'd be surprised how much manufacturing is done by outside vendors...

Stonetire said:
For future reference, can you share the part number used? I may need one someday.
Thanks!!

SnowPak Starter P/N 190745 from Kimpex for Phazer(all)

Back